Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Sup?

Style
    Silat
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sup?

Hey. I'm from somewhere south of Chicago. I have almost nothing to say at the moment. Hi. :fuckyea:

Style
    Aikido / FMA / Krotty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome,

It'll be nice to get some more people breathing life into the Kali/Escrima forum

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No doubt about it! Welcome! So where do you train? Single stick, double stick, knife, sword...?

What kind of sparring do you do? Hard, soft, with pads, helmets, full contact...?
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    Silat
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, guys! I train at this place called Lee's Martial Arts (most generic name ever, I know) in a little town called Oak Forest. As for preferred aspect of the style... Empty hand, although I've gotten pretty good at all of those things. To answer your last question, any sort of sparring match is acceptable, although certain strikes and joint manipulations must obviously be withheld. :D

(edit: I forgot to mention that Oak Forest is in Illinois)

Style
    Siling Labuyo Arnis
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What style of silat? Which FMA?

Style
    Silat
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I couldn't tell you. Just like Arnis, there are piles and piles of different styles of Silat. To be fair, however, I call what I use "Silat" because that's where my teacher started probably 30 years ago. What he teaches looks a lot like Silat and has the same freedom of movement principal, but I'm sure it's not the same thing. As a matter of fact, that's something he says often; that his style is "Sullivanized", a term which he uses to indicate that HIS instructor, Sullivan, who is something like a master of the martial arts, has had a large influence on him. I'm not going to pretend to understand what "FMA" means. I'll look it up and get back to you.

(Edit: It's still Arnis/Eskrima/whatever anyone else calls it.)

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FMA stands for Filipino Martial Arts. So your style you train is primarily empty hand fighting?

You guys don't train with weapons? I was assuming that you trained stick and bladed weapons first and then empty hand.

Sorry for the confusion.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    Silat
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We do train with weapons. I just like empty hand best, but it should be said that Empty Hand = Single Stick = Double Stick = Knife = Sword. Anything you can do with a weapon you can do without a weapon. It's just a matter of adaptation of principals. Sorry if I was too vague before. In any case, I just find it a lot more practical to have hand to hand combat down pat because I'm probably never going to have a sword or my sticks out on the street.

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah! I understand what you are saying. This is the same stick vs empty hand idea that some of the stick people I have trained with believe. The current guy who is teaching me is a little different, but I have trained at my brother's school a few times and he has the same ideas.

Could possibly be a good thread to open up further discussion, because I am curious about everyone's training and aplication of these ideas vs my own experiences.

Either way, welcome to the forum Eskrimador!
    Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Style
    Silat
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, friend. :D I'd be interested in making a contribution to such a thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last