Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/11/2011 5:07pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Book: Okninawa No Bushi No Te by Master Ron Lindsey

Hey, I thought the thread was applicable, Master Lindsey finished his book Okinawa No Bushi No Te. I has alot of the history, strategy, and life stories discussed here. Hope it helps.

Posted On:
    12/11/2011 5:12pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Book: Okninawa No Bushi No Te by Master Ron Lindsey

Master Lindsey finished and published his book recently, The Hands of the Okinawan Bushi. It is a culmination of a life spent studying, researching, and training. The history and life experiences shared on training with several Okinawan Masters is priceless in and of itself. It also elaborates on strategy and technique. An excellent book at nearly 400 pages. email me if you're interested.

Posted On:
    12/18/2011 10:50am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then why don't you provide some of his findings in regard to the history of Okinawan martial arts and the research methods he used. Simply mentioning the name of his book does the reader no good.

Posted On:
    12/18/2011 3:24pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Based on your statement, I'm not sure where to start other than to say it's based on his personal experiences with Okinawan Masters, his conversations with friends of his who trained with them, etc. Where he does quote another book or source he cites his sources. Perhaps ask some questions?

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/18/2011 3:28pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by suber View Post
    Based on your statement, I'm not sure where to start other than to say it's based on his personal experiences with Okinawan Masters, his conversations with friends of his who trained with them, etc. Where he does quote another book or source he cites his sources. Perhaps ask some questions?
    Based on your newest statement you confirmed why I moved your earlier post in the first place. You brought it up now add to the discussion. This is one of the more heavily moderated forums.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2011 3:39pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by suber View Post
    It also elaborates on strategy and technique.
    Can you elaborate on this? Strategy and technique for what? Self defence?

How far back do the experiences with Okinawan masters go?

If, for example, I was interested in reading about Chosin Chibana and Shoguro Nakazato would there be content in this book that I haven't previously read elsewhere?

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/18/2011 3:43pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    12/18/2011 9:04pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lets start with the obvious questions.

1) In which language does he converse with these masters. Does he speak fluent Japanese?

2) Provide a list from the book of the major masters he talked to about history.

3) provide a short summary of his historical claims and how any of these differ from prevailing beliefs about Okaninawan(sp) karate.

In other words the more detail the better.

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    12/24/2011 11:26am

supporting member
     Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also what styles are involved?

does the book go over the major styles and influences of said styles on Okinawa?

Many of the old masters do not speak much English. Many of the old masters speak/spoke Okinawan Hogen which is the local dialect of the island of Okinawa.

What is the time line involved in the book. Are we talking pre WWII? Post WWII?

I have a Uechi Ryu background, and always are on the lookout for decent books on Okinawan systems.

Posted On:
    1/23/2012 9:27pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mr. Lindsey studied on Okinawa when he was with the MP's during Vietnam. After he returned to the states he continually brought the Okinawan Masters (I don't know which one's other than Kise, Kuda, etc.) over to do one week seminars to help send them home with some money in their pocket for their efforts, part of the deal was they spent an additional week with him at his house. So he had time and experience along the way to ask questions we all didn't know to ask when we began training, not to mention the conversations and stories shared.

Thrutch,
    References for Chosin Chibana in the book include a copy of a letter sent to Hohan Soken by Chosin Chibana on December 26, 1958, He also mentions that Soken learned Naihanchin San Dan from Chibana, basically without retyping the book he is mentioned 10 times in the index. Another letter included in the book is from the grand daughter of Chokuho Agena. The strategy I spoke of is what he learned from Soken, Kise, Kuda regarding the Matsumura Heiho. For example, he goes over Kokoro No Heiho, Minari No Heiho, Maai No Heiho, etc. The tactics involved discuss the proper use of body mechanics relating to geometry and the use of footwork to project power, also the targeting mechanisms built into the techniques to increase accuracy, etc.

Dale,
    Mr. Lindsey's focus of study has been Matsumura Seito Shorinryu, but the history portion of the book covers many of the other Okinawan Masters as they cross paths or influence Soken or Matsumura Seito in general. The time line involves information learned from personal relationships and study of other reports and documents he deemed to be trustworthy. You should give Mr. Lindsey a call, he'd enjoy speaking with you about Uechi-ryu. His website is www.oldfightingarts.org

BTW, I don't get on forums very much as I don't have much time, I don't understand the nuances of its useage, and I don't like arguing with 14 year olds; its hard to tell who is who. Having trained under him for ten years, I just think the world of Mr. Lindsey, I have enjoyed his book, and thought I'd share.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast