Sponsored Links Spacer Image

pwning ninjas since 2004

Posted On:
    4/07/2004 3:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Street Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not quite yet a doctor, but will be pretty soon. My sports medicine class covered this topic briefly. Basically, when a bone breaks and is not displaced (or is set) a large callus of increased density and size forms around the fracture to support it during healing. Gradually, over many weeks, the bone heals and is slowly remodeled back to approximately what it was before the fracture. At no time during this process is it stronger or more stable. In fact, while it is healing, it is at high risk for being re-broken and that is why you have to have a cast on it for so long.

That being said, chronic impact on a bone that doesn't break it will lead to a thickening and strengthening of the bone. People who do not engage in any form of impact exercise (even running is an impact exercise) have weaker bones. Bone density and strength is also a product of nutrition (enough calcium) and your hormones (estrogen in women and glucocorticoids in everyone). Being on chronic steroids increases bone resorption and puts you at high risk for a fracture. Menopausal women that no longer produce much estrogen also lose bone density and become at higher risk for a fracture.

In summary, actually BREAKING a bone probably does not make it stronger. Regular impact exercise does. (Although if your impact exercise is too intense and too frequent, you'll give yourself a stress fracture, as seen in runners.)

edit: great article bad news hughes
    Last edited by GajusCaesar; 4/07/2004 3:17pm at .
    Deluxe247 tells it like it is:

you ninja fags just got owned in a bad way. this thread should go to the classics and mega thread forum due to the sheer size of taebo_master and gajusceaser's penis. (with which they just smacked across these ninja's faces)

This Classic Thread - http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9653&perpage=15&pagenum ber=14

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    4/07/2004 3:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Chop Socky

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find myself wondering if heavy bag related stress fractures aren't responsible for the spectacular shin breaks we've seen in kickboxing. Kick the bag so much that you hairline fracture the bone, and don't recognize it because your nerves are used to your shins complaining...then in competition, *crunch*, bone break like dry stick.

Just a thought, and something to be aware of. Me, I could use more bag work, at this point. But maybe some guys could use less....
    I would liken it to the boxing or the muay thai of internal kung fu, even though that's like calling apples the oranges of the apple world. --WalkOn
    Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD's Avatar

You are in a lot of trouble.

Posted On:
    4/07/2004 5:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Twirling Foot Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks gajus. i was surprised i didn't turn up more reputable info on the subject... lots of new age garbage and bullshido out there, big surprise. keep dropping the med-student science on us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    FORM AN ACROBATIC BRIDGE ACROSS OMEGA'S GOOCH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Bleep bleep blip bloop

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    4/07/2004 5:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What GajusCaesar said is right in line with my understanding, though I am no doctor, I am in medicine. If I remember, I will ask the next orthopod I talk to. I suppose the big factors have to be whether or not it was open or closed, comminuted or not, how long left untreated, anything in the history may be a factor like diabetes, history of smoking, blah blah blah.

It is my guess that the muai thai shin break clip guy had a pre-existing stress fracture(s) to help the break along.

Another issue with bone breaking is the possibility of a non-union. That means pain for a long time, bone stimulators and hoping you won't need additional surgery.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2004 10:20pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My leg sure as hell isn't stronger. Two years later and I still can't hop for more than a minute or so on my left foot before the pain becomes unbearable.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/08/2004 5:37pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MMA/JKDC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I broke my collar bone in january and the doc told me it DOES grow back stronger.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2004 6:15pm

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was told it will be denser after it heals after 3-4 months, but I got a huge metal plate in my arm so It might be different

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2004 1:29am

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the part of my hip that connects to my left leg was fractured in two places, are you telling me its going to heal back twice as strong?! lol I broke my right wrist and it gets tense every once in a while so I crack it all the time. It cracks due to a small peice of cartilage between my radius and the other bone lol 4got the name...

pwning ninjas since 2004

Posted On:
    4/21/2004 1:32am

supporting member
     Style: Street Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by FCTKD
    I was told it will be denser after it heals after 3-4 months, but I got a huge metal plate in my arm so It might be different
    Huge metal plate? Sweet. What did you have done?
    Deluxe247 tells it like it is:

you ninja fags just got owned in a bad way. this thread should go to the classics and mega thread forum due to the sheer size of taebo_master and gajusceaser's penis. (with which they just smacked across these ninja's faces)

This Classic Thread - http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9653&perpage=15&pagenum ber=14

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2004 2:57pm

Style: strength, judo, kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Common sense dictates that every injury will cause trouble eventually when you're middle-aged/ older. Best to avoid them.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast