Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2012 2:49pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    New Forteza website (just the splash page at the moment) at http://fortezafitness.com/ .
    D-A-M-N. That is awesome. I have actually considered moving to Chicago, and this is now one of the reasons on the list.

DdIR, will you be training here, and aside from the swordfighting, do you know how often per week will the Catch class will be conducted?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2012 2:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm currently teaching the Bartitsu intro. course and I expect to be involved with the studio over the long term.

The catch wrestling class will be part of the "antagonistics" stream but I don't know how many times per week it will run - I think twice would be a good guess, plus "open mat" wrestling on Friday nights.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2012 3:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm currently teaching the Bartitsu intro. course and I expect to be involved with the studio over the long term.

The catch wrestling class will be part of the "antagonistics" stream but I don't know how many times per week it will run - I think twice would be a good guess, plus "open mat" wrestling on Friday nights.
    Nice. As for the sword courses, will you have something along the lines of Academie Duello (cord type ranking) or something else?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2012 9:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The sword classes might be based on the Chicago Swordplay Guild's rank system, but I'm not sure about that.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/04/2012 12:24am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first Bartitsu course at Forteza has now finished and the second course will commence on March 27. Until then, Tuesday and Thursday night classes will feature pugilism (old-school boxing), catch wrestling and singlestick fencing from 7.00-8.00, with the period 6.30-7.00 available for warm-ups and self-directed drills.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2012 5:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first Bartitsu course at Forteza has now finished and the second course will commence on March 27. Until then, Tuesday and Thursday night classes will feature pugilism (old-school boxing), catch wrestling and singlestick fencing from 7.00-8.00, with the period 6.30-7.00 available for warm-ups and self-directed drills.
    I repeat what I said: D-A-M-N.

So as for old school boxing, is that as in London Prize Ring Rules, and if it is, do you guys use the original 1838 rules, or the 1853 revision?

(I assume that if it is either one of them, you guys use MMA gloves to facilitate throws.)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/04/2012 6:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoist View Post
    I repeat what I said: D-A-M-N.

So as for old school boxing, is that as in London Prize Ring Rules, and if it is, do you guys use the original 1838 rules, or the 1853 revision?

(I assume that if it is either one of them, you guys use MMA gloves to facilitate throws.)
    I'm not teaching the pugilism classes, so I'm not sure which rules they're using.

I do know that they're investigating wholesale opportunities for the Hayabusa Kanpeki MMA-style gloves, which have a really nice old-school look. We'll probably end up using them in Bartitsu as well; there's a lot of cross-over between classic pugilism and "Bartitsu boxing".

Here are the gloves:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2012 6:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not teaching the pugilism classes, so I'm not sure which rules they're using.

I do know that they're investigating wholesale opportunities for the Hayabusa Kanpeki MMA-style gloves, which have a really nice old-school look. We'll probably end up using them in Bartitsu as well; there's a lot of cross-over between classic pugilism and "Bartitsu boxing".

Here are the gloves:

So based on all of this, this gym has a legit CACC lineage, a fellow bully teaching, swordfighting, awesome looks, a 120 y.o. rowing machine, people who can finally teach me the cartwheel and handstand, comfy chairs, AND an old school boxing class with grappling?

I hope to see you soon, man :-)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/04/2012 6:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes to everything except the comfy chairs; the upstairs library/lounge is currently a combination workshop and storeroom. It'll be at least a few months before it's ready, as we have to re-floor the room, etc.

We had an Open Day event today, which will generate some more video of the studio and classes via the Chicago Tribune website and via our in-house videographer - I'll post here as the clips come online.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/07/2012 9:28am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As promised, a short "video impression" of the recent Open House at Forteza, including demonstrations by the Chicago Swordplay Guild, the Bartitsu Club of Chicago and the Asylum Stunt Team:

Also, a "New City" magazine article on the studio, concentrating on the Bartitsu program: http://newcity.com/2012/03/07/martia...mes/#more-5129
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast