226130 Bullies, 3890 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 47
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Permalost is online now
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,566

    Posted On:
    12/13/2011 12:40pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This sounds like exactly the facility I'd like to train at.
  2. DdlR is offline
    DdlR's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,774

    Posted On:
    12/13/2011 12:52pm

    supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Bowie instructor is Keith Jennings, with the curriculum based on (paraphrasing) classical fencing, saber and knife methods from Hutton’s 'Cold Steel', traditional and modern Spanish navaja, early 20th century American knife fighting derived from the work of Col. Drexel Biddle and John Styers. Plus period accounts of knife duels, and period instruction on bowie knife use and contemporary input from James Keating, Pete Kautz, James Loriega and Dwight McLemore.
  3. DdlR is offline
    DdlR's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,774

    Posted On:
    12/13/2011 12:59pm

    supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    This sounds like exactly the facility I'd like to train at.
    You'd be welcome once we're in business - just noting that the Academie Duello is a very similar facility and runs similar programs, and it's a lot closer to you (Vancouver, Canada).

    Good website, too -

    http://www.academieduello.com/
  4. Petter is offline

    12th level logic wielder

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,964

    Posted On:
    12/13/2011 1:53pm


     Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train at Academie Duello, which is indeed pretty awesome and has a very nice facility. (You’ll find my school review in the review section.) Other schools include Academia della Spada in Seattle, WA, and Academia Duellatoria in Portland and Phoenix, OR. I don’t know of anything terribly close to San Diego, though…
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”
  5. Petter is offline

    12th level logic wielder

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,964

    Posted On:
    12/13/2011 1:57pm


     Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, via the Chivalric Fighting Arts Association, theres’s a Sacramento Sword School, which is at least the right state. No idea what the facility is like, mind.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”
  6. DdlR is offline
    DdlR's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,774

    Posted On:
    12/13/2011 2:00pm

    supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    I train at Academie Duello, which is indeed pretty awesome and has a very nice facility. (You’ll find my school review in the review section.) Other schools include Academia della Spada in Seattle, WA, and Academia Duellatoria in Portland and Phoenix, OR. I don’t know of anything terribly close to San Diego, though…
    There's also the Lonin group in Seattle (long under the radar, but they've recently "gone public"), likewise teaching both Medieval Italian fencing and 19th century antagonistics/physical culture - http://lonin.org/ .
  7. lklawson is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    964

    Posted On:
    12/13/2011 2:58pm


     Style: Bowie

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    The Bowie instructor is Keith Jennings, with the curriculum based on (paraphrasing) classical fencing, saber and knife methods from Hutton’s 'Cold Steel', traditional and modern Spanish navaja, early 20th century American knife fighting derived from the work of Col. Drexel Biddle and John Styers. Plus period accounts of knife duels, and period instruction on bowie knife use and contemporary input from James Keating, Pete Kautz, James Loriega and Dwight McLemore.
    I don't think I've had the pleasure in person but we are connected on FB. Regardless, it looks like he and I have drank from the same fountain, so to speak, when it comes to Bowie. :)

    Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
  8. GenericUnique is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    55

    Posted On:
    12/18/2011 11:45am


     Style: WMA Lichtenauer Longsword

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you were unaware, there's The Schola San Marco close to San Diego. No idea what they're like, just found with the HEMA Alliance Training Partner Finder.
  9. selfcritical is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    austin, tx
    Posts
    2,428

    Posted On:
    12/19/2011 10:27am


     Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Will there be a regular catch wrestling instructor, or will that be solely in seminars?
  10. DdlR is offline
    DdlR's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,774

    Posted On:
    12/19/2011 12:16pm

    supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    Will there be a regular catch wrestling instructor, or will that be solely in seminars?
    I'm not certain, but I think there will be a regular catch class as part of the Antagonistics stream; may well cross over into Bartitsu as well. The catch is via Tim Geoghegan's wrestling lineage.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.