Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/10/2012 1:23am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ko Am Mu Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    Nah, that's the normal progression for learning anything.

What you are now engaging in, is a smoke-screen to hide bad technique. The knife counter shown in that video would not work, at any speed, against anything but the most compliant of attackers. Having the attacker step forward, telegraphing his lunge like Samuel-fucking-Morse, only serves to highlight just how out of touch the demonstrators are with effective knife work.

Take a look at this (trailer for the Dog Brothers "Die Less Often" series) :

... and you can see the difference between dealing with an attacker with a knife, and dealing with an overly-compliant training partner.
    I don't really need a video to tell me how it is when I've experienced it first hand, and yes it's true, some of the self defense stuff in my school is a bit ridiculous and not all of it can be applied but some of it's teachings can be. Honestly it boils down to this and if what I say sounds like Bullshido then my apologies cuz this is the only way I know how to say it but;

It all boils down to how you train, be it Krav Maga or Aikido(Really bad example). It's how you train and what you take from it that is what makes you come out alive from an attack.

Posted On:
    1/10/2012 9:01am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    It all boils down to how you train, be it Krav Maga or Aikido(Really bad example). It's how you train and what you take from it that is what makes you come out alive from an attack.
    We are in agreement at least to that point. Yes, it absolutely depends on how you train, which is why I took issue with the dichotomy between your statement about the effectiveness of the techniques being taught at white belt level, and the piss-poor technique being demonstrated by one of the grandmasters of your art.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    1/10/2012 9:22am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post
    You missed the "Kia"
    "KiaH" you ignorant American piece of trash!
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Posted On:
    1/10/2012 1:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ko Am Mu Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    We are in agreement at least to that point. Yes, it absolutely depends on how you train, which is why I took issue with the dichotomy between your statement about the effectiveness of the techniques being taught at white belt level, and the piss-poor technique being demonstrated by one of the grandmasters of your art.
    I see, well then let me start by saying I apologize for the piss poor demonstration and allow me to say that we do not train like that at all in my school. Our training in those techniques are much more realistic especially since I've returned and began to help instruct the self defense courses.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234