Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/09/2011 2:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ko Am Mu Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

TL;DR - Stick a thumb up it and read it anyways

So I'm gonna necro this cuz I feel like that Travis guy didn't really support Ko Am Mu Do really well, he just copied and pasted a lot of things from their website it seems. Also bare with me because this might be a long post.

Let me start first off by introducing myself, my name is Adam and I've trained in martial arts for about 11 years(This coming monday will make twelve years.) I started in Ko Am Mu Do when I was ten, and honestly even at white belt the moves are simple but extremely effective.

Now first of all allow me to also say that even though I started in Ko Am Mu Do I did not stick with it but I moved on to other martial arts as well, not because I felt that the training was B.S. but because I really wanted to learn more than just that style. Because of that I'm going to try and remain unbiased in this post.

So anyways I trained under master Yung Ho Jun. And the fact of him serving in both the korean and vietnam war is true, My father can even vouch for him on the vietnam war because master jun assisted in the training of my fathers green beret unit. And honestly out of all the masters he's one of the more down to earth persons I know in the style.

And I don't know how it works in other Ko Am Mu Do Schools but master Jun's curriculum is all applicable even at white belt. With enough correct practice you can actually use the basic self defense moves and such. Now in the school I went to we did poomse(katas). And honestly they served the same purpose that the forms in Wing Chun do, and that's training you to use the techniques in the form for better self defense. I was told to think of the poomse as drills that help you master the techniques you learn at the certain belt better.

Another thing that master jun does in his school is be open and not get closed off if someone comes up and asks a question even if it might be offensive. I mean heck the other day I went to his school and asked exactly why tae kwon do and karate feel and look so similar and without dodging my question, without letting his pride or ego get in the way and even without becoming close-minded he sat there and told me the truth.

On this note, some of the stuff he teaches a majority of his students is WTF or KKW, whatever you wish to call it. I started learning that as well and I found that I didn't think this stuff was for me, that I didn't like it and I thought that it was as this site commonly refers to it as bullshido. So I asked him about the Ko Am Mu Do and what was so different between it and Tae Kwon Do. He showed me the difference and from there I asked him to teach me and he did, so I guess my point in that is that at where I trained you had to ask master jun for the real training and not just the crap you see in contemporary stuff.

Now granted you can argue that a any GM worth his two cents wouldn't with hold that kind of training but honestly looking at it now I see why my master does it that way and it's simple, The training ain't f-ing easy, like no martial arts training is supposed to be easy, if it's too easy then that training is going to effect your performance when you actually have to use those techniques and then you're screwed.

So, Point in all of this? Is Ko Am Mu Do B.S.? From an outsider perspective yes perhaps, but when you really get into it, when you really start to train in it you see how much B.S. it is compared to other martial arts and surprisingly enough... you realize it's not really as B.S. as it looks.

TL;DR - Stick a thumb up it and read it anyways.

Posted On:
    12/09/2011 4:39pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    And I don't know how it works in other Ko Am Mu Do Schools but master Jun's curriculum is all applicable even at white belt.
    Really? Here's a video of Ko Am Mu Do white belt technique, and it looks like complete unadulterated crap.

The knife defence was the most outrageously poor part.

Posted On:
    12/11/2011 12:20am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ko Am Mu Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    psh, Like honestly Master Jun even states that those videos were completely poorly made and even more poorly explained were how to preform the moves and they're purposes. And Honestly back then they were working on a budget =/

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/11/2011 12:56am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, you don't care? Cool neither do I. Stick that post up your ass and blow the remains out your ear.
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55915

Video quality has **** all to do with the technique shown.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/11/2011 1:07am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @ 1.30 "Nunchuck 1"

It's Nunchaku... NUNCHAKU

NUNCHAKU you fucking Korean Morons
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2011 2:17am

Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like karate, TKD and bad weapons rolled into one.

To their credit, those are some sharp ass uniforms.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2011 4:47am

Style: lazy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm going to try and remain unbiased in this post.

So anyways I trained under master Yung Ho Jun. And the fact of him serving in both the korean and vietnam war is true, My father can even vouch for him on the vietnam war because master jun assisted in the training of my fathers green beret unit.
    Thats about as far as I got...:okay:

Posted On:
    12/12/2011 4:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    psh, Like honestly Master Jun even states that those videos were completely poorly made and even more poorly explained were how to preform the moves and they're purposes. And Honestly back then they were working on a budget =/
    Oh ... they were on a budget. Well, that explains why the technique was craptacular.

Posted On:
    12/12/2011 5:35pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    The knife defence was the most outrageously poor part.
    Really? I thought it was a perfect example of how to defend yourself against someone trying to stab you in super slow motion from so far away that there is no danger of the blade ever making contact with you......

Posted On:
    12/12/2011 6:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    Really? I thought it was a perfect example of how to defend yourself against someone trying to stab you in super slow motion from so far away that there is no danger of the blade ever making contact with you......
    Okay, fine, **** ... I was trying to gloss over that hole in my knowlege, but now Frosty can have the last laugh.

(damn it, why? Why didn't my guro teach me to defend against those attacking in super slow motion from really far away? Why? Why??)
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast