Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 3:57pm

Style: Hung Kuen, Jook Lum SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Annecdotes of my training

psuedo-mystical-asianness? LOL! Perhaps if you spent a little more time examining what exactly it takes to become a good student, what type of mindset it takes to undergo serious study-and I'm not talking about instant gratification, I want it my way, If I can't do it, then it's stupid,childish thinking. I am speaking of an investment in time and effort. Many arts -real, valid skills have died, because nobody really wants to put in the effort it takes to develop the real skill.
    Ever have someone come into your school, and they were big, tough, and strong, hit pretty damn hard, but their structure was way off?
    They get away with it because of their size and strength, but you tell them, that if they learned to punch correctly, they would double their power. What do they usually do? They smirk, and say."I already punch hard enough!"
    -Sure, because it worked for them.
    But, what is hard enough? Why wouldn't you want to punch even harder if you could?
    But these guys are convinced.
    Sound familiar?
    I met a guy who has been studying Hung Kuen for many years. His teacher had him train his claw for two years before teaching him anything else. Grabbing bags, jars, tying and untying knots in rope,using only thumb and index, then middle, then ring, then pinky, etc. using a shot putt, twisting bamboo, ripping towels, etc. His hands are so string, that when he grabs you, it hurts, You feel your bones warp. His fingers are like steel pincers.
    There are many Hung-Ga people who talk about the Tiger Claw, but how many really have invested the time to develop their hads as real weapons? Their art is empty. That art is lost. Why? Because nobody wants to put in the neccesary time and effort to develop the real skill. But they are satisfied. Satisfied with just the skin and hair of their art.
    They are content. Self-satisfied. And convinced that they are right.
    My SPM teacher is not nearly as strong as I am. But he can rock my world. I have seen him send a guy who's six foot four, 350 lbs, flying with a small movement.
    Why? Because his teacher made him go through grueling, tedious, BORING, exercises.
    Now, His hands shoot out like rockets. He makes Bruce Lee's one inch punch a joke. He makes the air pop from an inch strike. So I asked him to start me at the beginning again, only so I can learn the grueling, tedious, boring exercises. Rings, heavy inch thick, ten lb rings. Not the pretty chrome ones you see in the magazines. They hurt. Holding your arms out, doing the strikes, etc is excruciating. Walking the horse, is mind-numbingly boring, but what do you want to achieve? What do you want to accomplish? Where do you want your skill to be in ten years?
    I am in no hurry. I've already been into MA for over thirty years. I've seen,met, and felt REAL people with skill that defies logic. I can already fight, but that skill, that level, that is something that I am striving for.
    "Don't chase rank, chase skill."
    Are you simply satisfied with being able to kick ass?
    If so, then fine.
    What will you have when you pass fifty? Sixty? Seventy?
    I touched hands with Lam Jo-who was 98 at the time. His gripwas like a steel vice, and his hands were fast and strong. His reflexes were sharp.
    It really depends on your goals, and what you want to accomplish in your life.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 4:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    to continue..
    Hisng-Yi has always had the rep of good fighters. Not just good, but fighters who defeated all comers. Hsing-Yi was known for no-nonesense technique-straight, direct, brutal.
    Do you know what all great Hsing-Yi fighters trained first, before learning anything? Standing Post. Sometimes up to an hour a day. After that, they stood in San-Ti posture. Again, for up to an hour on each side. Crazy ****, huh?

have you ever done jahm jong-standing post? Try it. Just stand. Don't worry about dan-tien, microcosmic whatever, just ...stand. Try it for five minutes. Tell me what you experience. I'm not looking for anything cosmic, tell me what you experience is going on in with your body. It may surprise you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 6:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1point2-this is what the thread is about, so if you feel you already know everything, then you have no need to continue reading. Nobody's forcing you to read, or to respond.
    It's like people who complain about Howard Stern- they don't have to listen, simply change the station, or don't tune in.
    and yet...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 6:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    have you tried doing a horse with feet about a foot and a half apart? Thighs parralell, back straight-it's grueling. My Sifu has me do that as well as my friend's Bak Mei Sifu, he teaches that as well. It is sort of like when you do the back against the wall sit. I was talking to a skiier the other day while purchasing boots and he does this drill as well. His thighs were solid rock.
    We practice different variations of horse, and when we do Lion Dance, yuo move through the horses, but with resistance-incredible for stamina, waist, hips, shoulders, back,,power generation, etc
    Last edited by TenTigers; 3/05/2009 6:49pm at .

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 6:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My sensei said.

This guy once told me.

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 6:27pm

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Martial Arts are usually filled with anecdotes. It's part of the game, and I find them interesting.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 6:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    1point2-this is what the thread is about, ...
    Uh... no, it isn't.

You're all over the place. Focus!
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2009 6:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    damn half-doses of ritalin aren't cutting it anymore! I'd better up my meds!
    Sorry, point-I was following the drift, rather than the original thread. You have my humblest apologies.
    btw-anecdotes are usually told by those with more experience, as opposed to,
    "this one day at Band Camp..."
    I guess these days it will be,"This one day at a seminar..."

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/06/2009 8:06pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to hit you...very very hard.