Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yours truly

Posted On:
    12/12/2011 1:07am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its not extremely effective. Its somewhat effective. Applying wristlocks following a strike is not even easier. You really should be following up with another strike or something more effective.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2011 2:25am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The chance to wrist lock someone comes often in BJJ, eg 

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106915

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2011 5:08am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've pulled off some wrist locks in BJJ that I learned in the Buj, not easy but they work best when you are in a dominant position. Wrist locks work best from a standing grab or if you are trying to disarm a trapped arm.

Posted On:
    12/12/2011 2:42pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The wrist take from a punch does feature in Trad JJ for 2nd Dan up. It's not very effective because the Uke complies by leaving the fist in the air for Tori to take it.

It's pretty low %-age in getting it to work.

That apart, the technique can be done but you have to apply Tai Sabaki. You can 'cover' the hand/fist and 'draw' the Attacker, as he withdraws that's when you apply the wrist turnover as issuing a distraction kick.

Would i try it Real Life? I hope never to find out. ;-)

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/12/2011 3:40pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have an aikido/defensive tactics teacher who sometimes stops by to train, and he manages to make wristlocks work on me (while standing!) and I asked him how it was he was able to do that, when so many fail. He said that a lot of people don't have a good understanding of the 3 timings- before, during and after. Most people just learn the "during" stage- ie this is how you do the lock, apply pressure like this, hands here and here etc. "Before" and "After" are the setup (usually some kind of stunning atemi) and the followup (move to a superior lock/position, or move into a strike, or take the thing in their hand and move to a defensible position).

Posted On:
    12/12/2011 5:19pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perma

That's a nice post. Before - During - After, is a good way to look at it. To add to what I put earlier, one of the Locking sets is as I've outlined above. Once the lock is on and the distraction kick is put in, you immediately apply a second lock, to disorientate/distract while leading into you another which allows you to take him to floor and finish.

It ALWAYS ends in a FINISH - otherwise, there is no point.
    Last edited by Eddie Hardon; 12/12/2011 5:19pm at . Reason: you

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2011 3:31pm

Style: Aikido; BJJ.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got sankyo on a partner in my first BJJ class...
    I know an aikido 3rd dan who is a 1st kyu in judo; I asked him about how he sees his aikido in the context of judo randori, and he mentioned how - although wrist locks are illegal in judo - he was able to get them often (he wasn't doing them on people he didn't know; trying to get cheap taps; etc. - it was with people he was friends with).

The guy who talked about using aikido wrist locks in weapon retention had it right, I think: they are well utilised in that context.
    In an unarmed context, or one in which there are no strikes, it is relatively easy to avoid wrist locks, as you are focussed on defence within different parameters.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    12/19/2011 1:53am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see how addition of stikes would make it harder to avoid wrist locks.
    Its really good for when the opponent gives it to you
    It works okay when you get wrist control of an opponent with a weapon-there is really not much else you can do. But getting the wrist control will be difficult. Not any easier than trying it on an umarmed opponent.
    Small joint manipulation into wrist locks is another story. Unless your opponent doesnt' giev a shi*t about breaking one or two fingers... all fingers is a different story.

-2dan in Hwalinkwan hapido. But honestly, I haven't used them in so long that you should take what i say with a grain of salt.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Posted On:
    12/19/2011 5:15am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    It works okay when you get wrist control of an opponent with a weapon-there is really not much else you can do. But getting the wrist control will be difficult. Not any easier than trying it on an umarmed opponent.
    IMO, wristlocks are best for keeping your own weapon, not taking someone else's.
    I don't see that controlling the wrist of an armed attacker does anything better than controlling their arm does. And getting arm control is easier.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/19/2011 12:39pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    I don't see how addition of stikes would make it harder to avoid wrist locks.
    They draw the attention away from the wrist, and/or improve relative position for the lock.
    Its really good for when the opponent gives it to you
    It works okay when you get wrist control of an opponent with a weapon-there is really not much else you can do.
    Do you mean that there's not much else you can do when you get wrist control of a weapon, or there's not many other times you can get the wrist?

But getting the wrist control will be difficult. Not any easier than trying it on an umarmed opponent.
    Well, a weapon can actually make it easier to apply leverage to the wrist, and I feel that a wristlock is easier to get from someone attacking along a backhand line. Using a weapon seems to make people more likely to use such a swing. There's also a type of movement in weapon fighting called a gunting that can lead right into a wristlock from a low backhand but not a forehand.

Small joint manipulation into wrist locks is another story. Unless your opponent doesnt' giev a shi*t about breaking one or two fingers... all fingers is a different story.
    I've been pretty disappointed at the use of finger locks IRL, but my old teacher was really good at them.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast