Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/10/2011 10:53am

Style: Humbleness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Can Wristlocks be trained with aliveness?

Wristlocks can be trained with aliveness? I mean with a fully resisting oponent fighting either with grappling or striking (or both) to avoid the wristlock.
    Sorry for the stupid post is just curiosity Im a striker only, and my style is Kyokushin but I have a lot of friends who do aikido and McDojo Krotty (with frozen partner wristlock)

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/10/2011 11:00am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    12/10/2011 12:03pm

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As an Aikidoka who cross-trains myself, I found Colin's quote from the thread IIF linked sums it up for me:

"Attempting to pull someones punch out of the air and apply a lock is useless, and generally counter-productive (I've tried it plenty of times).
    I find that when MY punches are being blocked or trapped - or they are grabbing me - this is usually the most relevant usage for wrist locking."
    Also, (and this comment will probably have RockApe spitting feathers), since taking up kali, I find the wristlocks I learned in Aikido useful for weapon retention too.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    12/10/2011 12:08pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I’ve been wristlocked many a time while rolling (BJJ). Of course, this is not the same as aikido-esque single-point-of-contact wristlocks, so you may judge the relevance accordingly; but they’re certainly wristlocks and certainly part of alive training.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    12/10/2011 12:17pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Come to think of it, the two kinds of wristlocks are so different that it may be less useful to think of them as variations of the same thing (different kinds of wristlock) than two different things altogether (that just happen to involve wrist pressure). The wristlocks you tend to see in aikido &c. aren’t just joint locks to the wrist, but also rely on that pressure for control. Call it control via wristlock.

The ones I’ve fallen victim to aren’t like that at all¹—they’ve been situations where ordinary principles of BJJ control via multiple points of contact and so on were applied to setup an attack on a joint, which happened to be the wrist. This has nothing to do with control via wristlock; the wristlock relies on the control being established, position before submission. I think a good case could be made that this is a separate category. (If so, it’s not really clear whether my posts are relevant to the thread, but I promise I’m not actually trying to derail…)

¹ Possible exception: Standing wristlock on hand grabbing lapel too low by collapsing it against one’s own chest, a very opportunistic attack. Still, that does use at least one more point of contact for control (both hands to opponent’s elbow).
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Posted On:
    12/10/2011 12:33pm

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    ...control via multiple points of contact and so on were applied to setup an attack on a joint, which happened to be the wrist
    ... the wristlock relies on the control being established, position before submission
    I think this is how it ought to be in Aikido.

A wrist lock should be icing on a cake you've already baked.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Posted On:
    12/10/2011 12:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I kotegaeshied a guy in subgrapplin' (standing). It was loltastic.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2011 8:40pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrist locks vs resistance.

striking: good luck with that. The only way I've gotten those off, and not consistently, has been with some kind of trickery or stragtegery to interrupt the attack (maybe a body block/check or some such thing).

Grabbing. This is fine, you have to practice it though. Dealing with the guy fisting up and curling his arm in can be overcome. When guy starts moving around and stuff it gets more complicated. Its real hard to force, you have to be quite aggressive to get it done. In reality though, things like this are matters of opportunity. Pulling off a wrist lock in a standing grapple isn't much harder than O Goshi. At least in my opinion. We actually specifically train some aikido wristlocks in ground grappling class. It was fun surprising people with them, but now everyone expects it during randori...so less often successful.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/11/2011 11:00am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrist lock every time someone tries to stop you from arm barring them. Ta-Da! Aliveness.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    12/12/2011 12:28am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've only used them when the assailant was stupid enough to give it to me. Like grabbing my shirt collar and turning it up. grabbing my hair. etc.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast