POWERRR!

Posted On:
    12/22/2011 10:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayvmann View Post
    It's not surprising that sprinters have powerful lower bodies. Upper even. I was under the impression that sprinters did a good amount of weight training to develop their legs, Even squats.

As far as comparing to powerlifters, are you talking about competitive powerlifters and comparing weight classes? I would still have my doubts.
    I'm not sure, which is why I'm trying to find the study, something doesn't seem right unless they were maybe using powerlifters of the same weight as the sprinters, which would be light.

I've had a look and not found it so far but I'll keep trying, I do specifically remember there being some mitigating explanation that the powerlifters can't use their squat technique efficiently on a smith machine.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Flyweight

Posted On:
    12/22/2011 11:24am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    I've had a look and not found it so far but I'll keep trying, I do specifically remember there being some mitigating explanation that the powerlifters can't use their squat technique efficiently on a smith machine.
    A smith machine also doesn't recruit the stabilizing muscles like an unassisted squat does.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    12/22/2011 11:38am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by christmas cash View Post
    A smith machine also doesn't recruit the stabilizing muscles like an unassisted squat does.
    Absolutely, I believe this suited the study as the aim was to measure quadricep strength.

Haven't found the article, but found a commentary on it: Link

Turns out I was wrong, it was Olympic lifters who 'squatted' more than powerlifters, with sprinters a fair way behind. However, as the article suggests there were some very questionable results and so the study shouldn't be considered seriously. One absolute gem of an example is how their control group (no resistance training) were recorded as having an average squat of 160kg lol.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    12/22/2011 12:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: comparison shopping

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well you know weightlifters train their quads more than powerlifters because power lifters aim to recruit a lot more spinal erectors and hip flexors..

what's that you say average 160 kg squat untrained?

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    12/23/2011 5:46am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    what's that you say average 160 kg squat untrained?

Yeah exactly,

I believe the guy who wrote the commentary said something along the lines of
    'either there are some superhuman Australians in this study, or their squat is about 1/3 as deep as mine'
    Spoiler:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456