supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    "The UFC doesn't support 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia'"

Is that what you meant?

or

"The UFC doesn't support poor jokes related to syndicated television shows however original material like that provided by Mr. Griffin is tolerable."

?
    I support sanctions against people parroting jokes from TV shows on social networks, but I'm against ex posto facto law enforcement. Dana is just dusty old bones, full of green dust!

Posted On:
    12/12/2011 5:51pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just curious (I haven't been following that closely so apologies for any inaccuracies) but isn't the UFC currently in a legal process in NY attempting to argue that they should be allowed to operate in NY under freedom of expression laws? If it could be shown that they (through one of their employees) have a history of expressing negative/derogatory etc. views (or as employers being tolerant - thus supportive - of those views) be detrimental to that case?

Posted On:
    12/12/2011 6:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    Just curious (I haven't been following that closely so apologies for any inaccuracies) but isn't the UFC currently in a legal process in NY attempting to argue that they should be allowed to operate in NY under freedom of expression laws?
    More or less.

If it could be shown that they (through one of their employees) have a history of expressing negative/derogatory etc. views (or as employers being tolerant - thus supportive - of those views) be detrimental to that case?
    I am not a lawyer, but probably not. Part of the bundle of rights wrapped up in the first amendment is freedom of association. UFC doesn't want to associate with people who make rape jokes on Twitter. Private concerns don't have to worry about upholding free speech rights on their own dime, unless they declare that they do. (E.g., private colleges that state that they support free speech can't just fire professors for being Marxists and teaching through that prism or expel students for being born-again Christians and preaching on the quad.)

Posted On:
    12/12/2011 6:51pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    More or less.

I am not a lawyer, but probably not. Part of the bundle of rights wrapped up in the first amendment is freedom of association. UFC doesn't want to associate with people who make rape jokes on Twitter. Private concerns don't have to worry about upholding free speech rights on their own dime, unless they declare that they do. (E.g., private colleges that state that they support free speech can't just fire professors for being Marxists and teaching through that prism or expel students for being born-again Christians and preaching on the quad.)
    Fair enough. Just thought if it was suddenly jeopardising potential sources of income it may give context to suddenly caring so much about ill-conceived social media posts.

Posted On:
    12/12/2011 6:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    UFC probably does want to shed some of their meathead aesthetic these days, but the particular issue with the First Amendment and the NY State case likely isn't a major part of it.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/12/2011 7:01pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    UFC doesn't want to associate with people who make rape jokes on Twitter.
    Then they've got multiple other people to fire too, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    12/29/2011 1:23pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456