Registered Member

Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/15/2011 10:03pm

Style: Taekkyon/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Babo78: Well done sir, you almost got me there.
    Odacon: that's how i deacribe taekkyon to people who have not seen taekkyon before. One teacher i know deacribed it as trying to play grappling or jiujitsu with feet instead your hands.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Posted On:
    12/15/2011 10:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oonjuk, what's your school's, and/or your own, approach to taekkyon? Competitive sport, quaint folk pasttime, viable fighting art, or some mixture of the above?

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    12/15/2011 10:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am part of Kyullyun taekkyon group and our approach is mixture of all three aspects but with more emphasis on the combative and competitive aspects. My teacher used to tell me that martial arts that lose combative aspect is nothing more than a fancy exercise routine and that competition/sport taekkyon is about limiting number of techniques and executing them with even better control compared to unleashed combative versions. My personal approach is heavily influenced by my teacher as well where he encourages me to embrace my judo background for me to discover my own personalized taekkyon instead of trying to separate them. I try to integrate techniques during open matt and i try sparring my MT or boxing friends to research ways to deal with other MA styles. I hope this answers your question.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Posted On:
    12/15/2011 11:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It does. Thank you.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/19/2011 8:21am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by babo78 View Post
    I'm 8th degree black belt Taekkyon master teaching out of Brooklyn. Please contact me if you wish to learn the secret art of Korean martial arts that dates back to Silla days where it was taught to Hwarang corps and first to ever become UNESCO heritage.

You guys mean claims like that right :aintthatsomeshit:
    Close. You forgot to add in that you were secretly taught during the Japanese occupation that forbade all Koreans to learn martial arts. You might also add that you were taught by one of the last true Taekkyon masters. That is always a plus. :)
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Achievements:

Posted On:
    12/19/2011 8:23am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oonjuk View Post
    I am part of Kyullyun taekkyon group and our approach is mixture of all three aspects but with more emphasis on the combative and competitive aspects. My teacher used to tell me that martial arts that lose combative aspect is nothing more than a fancy exercise routine and that competition/sport taekkyon is about limiting number of techniques and executing them with even better control compared to unleashed combative versions. My personal approach is heavily influenced by my teacher as well where he encourages me to embrace my judo background for me to discover my own personalized taekkyon instead of trying to separate them. I try to integrate techniques during open matt and i try sparring my MT or boxing friends to research ways to deal with other MA styles. I hope this answers your question.
    Are there two or three schools of Taekkyon presently?
    Jeremy M. Talbott

"Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    12/19/2011 10:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Three with different emphasis:
    Daehan-sport/game taekkyon
    Kyullyun-combative/competition taekkyon
    Chungju-traditional art/game taekkyon

Kyullyun teaches techniques most similar as they were taught by Grandpa Song Duk Gi (my teachers never referred to him as grand master, always gramp). Other schools teach techniques with their own interpretations added to them, but it is hard to say they are not doing a proper taekkyon because taekkyon was not something taught in a formal manner with set forms and techniques.

There's something called Dong Yi Taekkyon group but they are not really a taekkyon group.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Achievements:

Posted On:
    12/19/2011 12:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oonjuk View Post
    Three with different emphasis:
    Daehan-sport/game taekkyon
    Kyullyun-combative/competition taekkyon
    Chungju-traditional art/game taekkyon

Kyullyun teaches techniques most similar as they were taught by Grandpa Song Duk Gi (my teachers never referred to him as grand master, always gramp).
    That makes sense, as there were no ranks correct? Calling someone grandpa is a normal thing in Korea when addressing someone who is very old. I.E. Song Halaboji. :)

Other schools teach techniques with their own interpretations added to them, but it is hard to say they are not doing a proper taekkyon because taekkyon was not something taught in a formal manner with set forms and techniques.
    Interesting. So when UNESCO marked Taekkyon as a heritage, which school of thought do you think you are referring to?

There's something called Dong Yi Taekkyon group but they are not really a taekkyon group.
    The name sounds familiar but I do not recall in what context I first heard about them. Thanks for the information on all of this.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    12/19/2011 12:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as the UNESCO goes, I think they were just referring to taekkyon in general.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class31 days registered

Posted On:
    12/21/2011 8:22pm

Style: Taekwondo (WTF)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Babo78: Props to you.

Damn- I was taekkyon was more popular in the US. It is so much more preferable than TKD. Non-game taekkyon actually features a few handstrikes from what I've seen.

some intermittent sparring:

This gym also seems to experiment with kyokushin + mma rules; not sure if they are a taekkyon school though.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast