Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2011 10:54pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

[Toronto: City Councillor] Doug Ford suggests schools explore UFC-linked program

from the Toronto Star, try and see if you can detect any bias in their reporting...
    http://www.thestar.com/news/article/...d-program?bn=1
    Councillor Doug Ford’s office has suggested Toronto schools look into a community service program backed by the violent mixed martial arts league, Ultimate Fighting Championship.

In an email obtained by the Star, Ford’s constituency assistant, Anna Vescio, asked a Toronto District School Board trustee to circulate a brochure touting an initiative called UFC Community Works.

According to the brochure, the program promotes “the development of discipline, respect, teamwork, honesty, time management and physical fitness” through mixed martial arts training and meetings with UFC fighters.

UFC has become notorious for its brutal, bloody, no-holds barred fighting. Mixed martial arts events were banned in Ontario until this year.

The email was sent Thursday, one day after Premier Dalton McGuinty announced bold new anti-bullying legislation that seeks to curb aggressive behaviour in Ontario schools. Some TDSB trustees were left questioning the sense of proposing a program backed by UFC.

“I think it’s a terrible idea,” said Pamela Gough, TDSB trustee for Etobicoke-Lakeshore. “Schools are all about peacemaking right now . . . we don’t want to promote violence, we don’t want to promote fighting.”

The proposal also follows last month’s controversy at Earl Beatty Public School, in the city’s east end, where hard balls — tennis ball included — were banned from the schoolyard after they were deemed too dangerous.

TDSB chair Chris Bolton, who heard about the email Saturday morning, found the proposal at odds with the school board’s stance on violence.

“It’s not exactly the kind of thing we’re promoting, whether it’s for community work or not,” he said. “We really have a question about the promotion of violence or fighting as a way to enter into community service.”

The school board’s goal, he said, is to reduce violence.

In an email to TDSB trustees early Saturday morning, Chris Glover, trustee for Etobicoke Centre, stressed that he adamantly voiced his disapproval to Ford’s office: “I have responded that I will not be promoting fighting in our schools under any circumstances,” he wrote.

“We have all kinds of initiatives to prevent fighting in our schools . . . to teach kids how to resolve conflicts without fighting,” he said in an interview. “[Mixed martial arts training] speaks against the goals of public education.”

In April, UFC Community Works launched a $129,000 program to purchase mixed martial arts equipment for at-risk youth at the Cabbagetown Youth Centre.

Glover also took issue with UFC’s stated intent to promote its brand through community service. The brochure says UFC Community Works will allow UFC to “promote our brand at a grassroots level.”

“We don’t send (children) to school to sell them advertising,” Glover said in an interview. “I don’t think parents would be very happy if we were promoting the UFC in our schools and using our schools as an advertising venue for them.”

Reached by phone, Doug Ford declined to comment, citing Mayor Rob Ford’s policy of not talking to the Star.
    The picture isn't there online, but in the paper version of the newspaper, they included a photo and Caption of Mark Hominick after he was beaten in UFC 129 in order to show how gruesome the UFC is.

I am writing about this more for my outrage at how this sort of thing is reported. At least on the radio in Toronto (AM680 news) they included some commentary from their sportscaster on how the UFC is involved in anti-bullying initiatives and how the trustees may be meeting this idea with opposition due to ignorance.

This bothers me because there are a lot of at risk youth in Toronto who could benefit from the discipline of the sports training, yet the only thing that ever seems to be done for at risk youth is basketball programs (and hockey, we are Canadian after all). Along comes a program that is probably all paid for by the UFC that would very likely steer children away from violence, and it is likely to get shut down because of ignorance.

Posted On:
    12/04/2011 11:49pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My brother sent me that earlier today, never got to read it until now AND I WAS BEATEN TO POSTING IT ARGGHHHH!!

From the UFC related article:

"UFC has become notorious for its brutal, bloody, no-holds barred fighting. Mixed martial arts events were banned in Ontario until this year. "

These journalist fail half truths are so 15 years ago, the UFC organization had been seeking legislation and MORE rules since like UFC 5. I'm neutral on the idea, but I thought we had seen the last of the Inflammatory Article THINK OF THE CHILDREN by The Ignorant Reporter trope.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2011 11:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PizDoff,you couldn't have summarized how I feel better. In fact you said it better than I could. The line that you quoted there was the one that got me most infuriated, that and the picture that is not in the online version.

Posted On:
    12/04/2011 11:54pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen The Star use the Mark Hominick alien hatching picture before as well. He had an amazing fight challenging Jose Aldo in Toronto in May for the title, and he's fighting again this weekend.

Also, UFC 12 or so, my bad. I didn't watch it back then :P
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 9:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Better that the little shits learn how to use their fists than guns. One thing I don't get though, how do they plan on rolling with their new uniforms??:

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 9:49am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hah! In yer face, Toronto! While they've got schools banning tennis balls because they're a menace to society, a scant few years ago, my boys were doing BJJ and Muay Thai in their phys-ed class.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 11:50am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only Mayor Ford would have the nerve to propose something so controversial. Good for him.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 11:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Marley's Ghost View Post
    Only Mayor Ford would have the nerve to propose something so controversial. Good for him.
    According to the article it is Councillor Doug Ford. The only reference to the mayor was when he was asked to comment.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 11:56am

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeroo View Post
    According to the article it is Councillor Doug Ford. The only reference to the mayor was when he was asked to comment.
    You just know Mayor Ford is a big UFC and Tapout fan, I mean just look at the shape he is in!

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 12:00pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Should have pushed Judo instead in my opinion.

Whomever decided to use that line, "Promoting our brand at the grassroots level" had an interest in torpedoing the project from the start.
    Shut the hell up and train.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast