Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    12/11/2011 6:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why would you give bones **** for walking away? It's professional. He's not the doctor, not the ref, his job is not to take care of a downed opponent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Posted On:
    12/11/2011 6:41pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldk View Post
    i agree with the sort of karate validation you speak of, in the way Rogan mentioned. but no way do i agree anyone who can go a few rounds will KO him. few people could ever do what Machida did, given the man is gifted in terms of speed and accuracy. it was impressive, but he merely got 8/25 strikes in the round. Jones had 8/27. we're just so used to seeing Jones KILL guys, we though he was losing just because he got tagged. it'll take more than one good shot to end this guy.
    You know I really hate fighter metrics, that number doesn't even come close to how much Jones was losing that first round. I'll re-watch the match, but these stats are bullshit and anyone who watched that fight knows it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2011 6:44pm

Style: Shotokan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. His clinch work is and was fantastic, and had Jones been 3 inches shorter he might have caught him with some of his attempted clinch-TDs. But Bones is very experienced and knows how to balance, plus his limbs give him freak-of-nature sensitivity.
    You're right, Jones' reach probably made the difference in the last few moments of the fight. I don't have much experience with guillotines so I'm not sure how hard it is to escape from a standing guillotine. I think Jones proved that the guillotine isn't a "myth" last night. That elbo Machida got tagged with was pretty rough. After the blood in his eyes he was pretty much just punching blind and got taken out.

Posted On:
    12/11/2011 6:48pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    Why would you give bones **** for walking away? It's professional. He's not the doctor, not the ref, his job is not to take care of a downed opponent.

This.

Honestly Terror Tamale I fail to see what Jon Jones did there was considered 'bad'. Jon Jones is a classy professional who doesn't **** talk. I personally admire this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2011 7:38pm

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ADM View Post
    You know I really hate fighter metrics, that number doesn't even come close to how much Jones was losing that first round. I'll re-watch the match, but these stats are bullshit and anyone who watched that fight knows it.
    Anyone who re-watches the fight will see that the numbers are pretty much spot on, that Machida didn't actually do anything the first two minutes of the fight, that most of his flurry-punches missed, and that his final significant strikes consisted of two kicks to the body, one punch to the body, and a punch to the head. He also spent most of the round backing up (but that's his style). Jones landed some leg kicks, his head kick attempt was deflected by Machida's shoulder, but most of his kicks and pretty much all of his punches missed.

So how much was Jones losing that first round where he was almost always pressing forward and throwing more strikes? You're acting like Machida schooled him when all he did was land a few significant strikes while not taking all that much in return.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    12/11/2011 7:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ADM View Post
    This.

Honestly Terror Tamale I fail to see what Jon Jones did there was considered 'bad'. Jon Jones is a classy professional who doesn't **** talk. I personally admire this.

Ah, it's really just shenanigans, probably most influenced by the way it was presented, in connection with the infamous "Get some fans" video.

Please understand that the following is just my very subjective view of things, and I am completely aware that this might sound like total bullshit to others:

I miss some genuine positive charisma with all these "now-generation" fighters. Being a "martial artist" is defined also by the degree of civility with which we treat our opponents. The fact that Jones doesn't care for that, positively or negatively, makes him less than a "martial artist" in my book, and just an athlete.

Like, at some point, he will lose, because somebody will come who is a more physically gifted specimen than he is. If we take Jones' success away, what have we? Just a kid without manners. I expect that from a racehorse, but not from a "martial artist".
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonist; 12/11/2011 7:50pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/11/2011 8:02pm

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Martial artists are people who practice the martial arts. Any philosophical baggage you want to add onto that is your own deal, but it's not universal and it sure as hell isn't reflected in history. All the touchy-feely crap was great when it happened spontaneously and naturally, but now it's expected that you hug and make like best friends minutes after you got done beating one another. You see fighters for the briefest moments in time and from that you extrapolate and read into who they are as people. It's bullshit and you're fooling yourself.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    12/11/2011 8:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For those of you who didn't bother watching the post fight press conference - rumors are circulating that Overeem is out of the Lesnar fight. Word is that he may have failed a drug test. Dana shot it down, as you'd expect.

Lesnar/Mir 3 at the end of the month maybe?

On hiatus

Posted On:
    12/11/2011 8:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Getting fat.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scut Farkus View Post
    For those of you who didn't bother watching the post fight press conference - rumors are circulating that Overeem is out of the Lesnar fight. Word is that he may have failed a drug test. Dana shot it down, as you'd expect.

Lesnar/Mir 3 at the end of the month maybe?
    Oh no, this could pretty much ruin the horsemeat market.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/11/2011 8:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it just me, or are people finding really odd reasons to dislike Jon Jones?
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast