insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    12/04/2011 4:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post

See 1:18.
    This is one of my BS favorites. The best part of this video is when the kid backs into the weapons rack, and as if to punctuate that bad maneuver, Asia gives him the shoulder. Classic Mortal Kombat....I half expected the kid to fly up and get impaled on the wall and hear Shao Khan whisper "FATALITY".

Boy and girls, there is a lesson here: situational awareness is important!

Nothing ruins sparring practice faster than having the gwan dao drop on your head.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/04/2011 4:17pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 12:41am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting idea for a thread..

Firstly, I would like to agree wholeheartedly with the following point made by Colos Di Piedro (or whatever his screen name is now) :

you should have "crazy" grip strength to properly do tiger techniques that involve gripping and tearing. most practitioners do not have nearly enough grip strength to do the things that they think they are capable of. one needs to put in serious time on sandbag throwing, iron palm, steel shot training, stone lock training, and a wrist roller.
    I really can't stress the truth of this enough.
    I only ever met one man who had a grip that was actually worthy of being called a ' kung fu grip '. By that I mean a grip strong enough to actually seize and tear a piece of flesh off someone's body, and that was my instructor at CAACMA. Some of the guys had developed pretty decent strength in their hands and could manage finger-tip pushups and the like, but no one was able to develop anything formidable enough to really wreak havoc the way Mike could if he wanted to.
    As noted, the time and energy you need to put into such things is far beyond what most modern CMA/TMA practicioners are willing to put in.
    However, a person who works with their hands/tools all day long, like a tradesman or steelworker has a significant advantage over someone who doesn't in getting close to the level needed to inflict serious damage. I remember hearing talk around the club of an ex member , a skinny little guy, who worked in a chicken-killing plant and had a claw that was pretty good. He used to tear birds apart all day long lol
    Leopard strikes are useful and efficient , as are ridge hands to the throat and under the jaw. But I don't know that I would use them on any other target.
    Palm strikes , as others have pointed out, can be extremely effective when done properly. It also reduces the chances of breaking knuckles, fingers etc. Just be sure you land it properly !
    Other unorthodox moves like head butts, groin strikes and gouges all have their place. But everything depends on the situation , the size of your opponent and a host of other things including the question of how far you are really willing to go. Is it worth crushing another man's larynx because he idly insulted you after having a few too many drinks ? Or is it only worth gripping your opponent by the face and jamming a thumb in his eye if he has a broken beer bottle and wants to carve you or someone you care about up with it ?
    We all need to discriminate and having the ability to really put the hurt on someone doesn't mean you should without a good reason.
    Not trying to lecture or anything..just sayin'.
    As far as one-finger strikes and the like, hitting the eye isn't as easy as it seems and the risk you run of damaging your fingers is too high, why bother ?
    The Phoenix-Eye Fist and Dragon knuckle are good for soft targets, you can dig a dragon-knuckle into someone's side as a bit of a wake-up call during bare knuckle sparring. But if I was dealing with a situation on the street I can think of plenty of better things to use. Like a regular punch or a waterwheel.
    I am a fan of elbows and reverse-hammers, personally. You can inflict a good deal of damage and the risk of injuring yourself is lessened as opposed to using your fists when throwing a traditional boxing punch.

Oh, and yes..Asia is Gezere and he is still around. I like the shoulder-push in that ancient vid too, its pretty cool. Although it should be noted, the guy he was sparring was quite a bit lighter than him - and that is part of the reason it worked so well.
    Sweet move though..
    Last edited by OZZ; 12/05/2011 12:50am at .
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 1:59am

Style: Aikido, Kajukembo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have always viewed the tiger claw strike as a palm heel strike followed by a rake, however the rake wasn't used as a scratching motion but the fingers used to enter and grip the eye sockets to pull the head or face down using the skull.

In techniques where you may end up behind, the tiger claw is used in the same fashion, only with more emphasis on the eye sockets than the palm strike. Recently I was practicing some grab arts and advanced counters with someone who had a buzzed hair cut. Usually most people grab the hair at the end to position the head for a chop across the bridge of the nose, or a throat slit in a knife technique. As a bald guy, I don't train to assume anyone I would possibly use a technique on, would have hair worthy of pulling, so I grip the eye sockets to get the head in proper position.

This would entail a palm strike to the top of the head, for a proper tiger claw strike, so like I said the emphasis is for the grip on the eye sockets and not so much the affect from the palm strike on the top of the head which is, well, pretty much, useless. As would be raking the forehead. As a means though to get at least one finger into each eye socket to pull the head back, it works, and you maintain the aggressiveness of the technique.

Probably not what the OP was looking for, but that's how I utilize the tiger claw.
    Last edited by Aikironin21; 12/05/2011 2:21am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 8:13am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, what are the chances of any of these strikes being used in the ring by professional fighters ?
    Of course, it wouldn't be as viable as straights or hooks, but maybe one of these could make a good "surprise"? I mean, if people manage to land handstand kicks occasionally...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 8:59am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You see palm heel strikes used occasionally..and frankly I'm not sure why they aren't used more.
    In the early UFC days there was a kenpo fighter named Keith Hackney who felled a 500 +lb man with an open-hand slap to the ear. It was pretty cool..
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 9:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by driver View Post
    How about the open hand/palm strike, like that Bas Rutten used in Pancrase? Has it potential KO power? Have you seen it used in real world (except being the favourite attack of angry females... ) ?
    Most people I have seen knock people out with palm heels have big hands. And throw the thing like a hook.

I have hit people with them and can get a person moving backwards but that is about it.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 12:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shigi View Post
    So, what are the chances of any of these strikes being used in the ring by professional fighters ?
    100%.

Fu Jow to the face in professional MMA? Yep, once upon a time.

I never get tired of showing people this UFC video, it's a personal favorite.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/05/2011 12:22pm at . Reason: HAahhahhaha "this is the famous "riding" position"..classic UFC
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123