218272 Bullies, 7546 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

You know me...the snakebite hiss, the Devil's Grip, the Iron Fist

Achievements:
    Three Friends3 months registeredTagger Second ClassOverdrive5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/03/2011 5:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Hung Fist, BJJ, Qi Gong

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    i was never taught to use a "tiger claw" as a raking attack, but rather as palm heel strike.
    We were specifically told to keep the fingers back.
    Right? To not jam/break your fingers when striking hard if one of those fingers gets smashed when you strike. I was taught the same. It is really hard to hurt your fingers no matter how hard you strike if they are in a nice, tight fu jow.

Can't say the same thing about, for instance, using the knuckles wrong in the pao kuen (leopard fist). Using that wrong will break your fingers easy if you strike hard, but if you use it right and condition it on the bag, you can turn it into a really fast, painful jab or good tsop choi to the head.

The fu jow training I do centers around basic tiger concepts...striking, gripping, pulling, tearing, pushing.

Some of the short Hung ga forms are essentially grip exercises, fu jow gong is one I practice specifically when tiger is "in season". Maybe Chen knows what I mean.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/03/2011 5:11pm at .

Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    12/03/2011 5:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can see palm strikes being somewhat usefull, I like them for ground and pound of all things lol. I did read a story about roman gladiators in which supposedly a gladiator used a spear hand to rip someone's end-trails out. But the Romans did like to exaggerate so I imagine it to be just that a story. Most any strike that takes any effort other than making a natural fist I think is just unnecessary.

solves problems with violence

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/03/2011 5:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    tiger claw:

you should have "crazy" grip strength to properly do tiger techniques that involve gripping and tearing. most practitioners do not have nearly enough grip strength to do the things that they think they are capable of. one needs to put in serious time on sandbag throwing, iron palm, steel shot training, stone lock training, and a wrist roller. while i did those things, i think that the time commitment required to seriously do all the peripheral exercises is too much for the average working person.

The eyes can be a target of the attack, but there are several different types of attacks from different angles that use gripping and tearing, for instance grabbing the ear and ripping, which can certainly be effective, and grabbing a muscle or tendon on your opponent and trying to tear it. while this may not actually tear the muscle, it is quite painful and can sometimes get a desired reaction from one's opponent.

crane/snake attacks to the eyes

these are mostly used to brush the eyes and cause a moment of blindness to set up another attack. they are not used to actually spear into the eye socket. i think as a distraction and set up they are practical and useful.

i will say that since i spent most of my time doing sanda and mma rules sparring, that i mostly used tiger/crane/snake techniques that had been adapted to use with boxing or mma gloves and rules, and that because of the way they can be trained, they are the best ways to fight using 5 animal techniques.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

pro nonsense self defense

Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Champion

Posted On:
    12/03/2011 6:45pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    i was never taught to use a "tiger claw" as a raking attack, but rather as palm heel strike.
    We were specifically told to keep the fingers back.
    In the CLF I learned, there was a thrusting tiger claw, and also a raking tiger claw. The raking one still wasn't really a fingertip strike; it was a whipping downward palm heel strike across the bridge of the nose, and if the fingers happen to scrape the eyes it's icing on the cake. This one hit down, the thrusting one would hit straight and slightly upward. I'm not a big fan of it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2011 7:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    In the CLF I learned, there was a thrusting tiger claw, and also a raking tiger claw. The raking one still wasn't really a fingertip strike; it was a whipping downward palm heel strike across the bridge of the nose, and if the fingers happen to scrape the eyes it's icing on the cake. This one hit down, the thrusting one would hit straight and slightly upward. I'm not a big fan of it.
    This sounds very similar to something called "The Shredder" that is being marketed to LEOs and anyone else who wants to shell out for "Super Secret Techniques That Can Destroy a Black Belt in Seconds" and is marketed as an effective defense against wrestling style shots, of all things.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    12/03/2011 11:03pm

Style: Taekkyon Kudo MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    headbutts are part of kudo competitions, and in my opinion, they are super effective when a shorter person does it against a taller person. They are epecially useful for setting up a close range combo with hooks, elbow, and knees.

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/03/2011 11:38pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shigi View Post

See 1:18.

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/04/2011 1:32am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post

See 1:18.
    We need something similar to the "NSFW" warning for vids using the drowning pool "bodies" song. Seriously, I hate the song with a passion and how every tough guy fighting or ma related vid uses it. I've seen this vid before (which I enjoy) isn't it of Lord Asia or something like that? (Some guy who was here and left before I joined) But I forgot about the shitty music, now I feel like my ears have been raped.

Perhaps a "DPB" (drowning pool bodies) alert could be used? Not only does DPB sound like it could be an acronym something vile it actually is.

Back on topic: Ming and Permalost's posts (as well as many others) are exactly what I was going for with this thread. Thanks everyone for sharing "teh knowledge". The mention of wrist strikes reminds me of Drunken master with Jackie Chan.

What about mantis strikes? Not sure where I got the image of single index finger strikes comes from, a movie perhaps? Can anyone explain a little about mantis strikes? I imagine the require rigorous finger training and the strikes are directed at pressure point or something.

I could go on with my questions. Whats the difference between tiger,leopard, and dragon fist? As far as targets, applications and strength/conditioning requirements go.

Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/04/2011 4:27am

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    We need something similar to the "NSFW" warning for vids using the drowning pool "bodies" song. Seriously, I hate the song with a passion and how every tough guy fighting or ma related vid uses it. I've seen this vid before (which I enjoy) isn't it of Lord Asia or something like that? (Some guy who was here and left before I joined) But I forgot about the shitty music, now I feel like my ears have been raped.
    Asia's Gezere. Unless I'm wrong, in which case, he isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Judoka_UK
    Judo is the PC to Sambo's Mac.

1% Shark is better than you.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    12/04/2011 3:57pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He is.