Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 9:41pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Emerald Coast Martial Arts?

Hello Bullshido, I thought I had an account for Bullshido quite awhile ago, but I for the life of me cannot remember what email I could have used.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I am currently a member of a BJJ gym in the local area that I can't imagine competes with such a place in terms of the same type of individuals who pay to attend. Regardless I thought I would mention it, my intention is to uncover some things I viewed as being shenanigans from first glance, plus I don't want female friends of mine going to learn self defense from people who think "chi" is going to knock someone out or some BS techniques that serve no purpose other than to get yourself killed.

I currently reside around the Navarre/Fort Walton beach area of the Gulf Coast in Florida. I am an Air Force member @ Hurlburt Field AFB.

A few weeks ago the 23rd Air Force First Sergeant sent out a mass email to all of AFSOC with an attachment for a "Self Defense Seminar" sponsored by the local police department and it being held at Emerald Coast Martial Arts. Being the curious/skeptical one that I am and knowing all of the legit martial arts gyms in the are (I had never heard of this place) I decided to check out the site:

http://www.ecma.us/

They teach Shotokan Karate primarily.

I investigated the individual who was the head of the gym: Grand Master Joseph Cayer before I really looked at anything else, and his massive amount of certificates and such caught me by surprise. (I don't do anything but BJJ/Submission Grappling and a little bit of striking, which leaves me with just the IBJJF in terms of governing body), he has his credentials listed on this page: http://www.ecma.us/grand-master-cayer/

Now, I'm personally not familiar with 99% of those organizations, there's just so many, which seems unrealistic to me. I assumed some experienced bullsniffers would be able to tell at a glance if anything was completely ridiculous or not. One of the items that peaked my interest was the fact he had the following listed under his personal accomplishments/accolades:

"Doctorate in Martial Arts Science from Shinja Martial Arts University of Bradenton, FL .
    In 2010 the South African government also recognized Dr. Cayer with the title of Professor in Martial Arts Science from the College of Martial Arts, Pretoria, South Africa."

Obviously none of those degrees are accredited, but Professor from the South African Government? What?

"He also practices Israeli Krav Maga, Iai Do, Japanese Jujitsu, Koga Ryu Ninjitsu and Kubudo (weapons). In 2003 Sensei traveled to Ireland to represent the U.S. A. Karate and Jujitsu Union and fought against 18 represented countries. He won the gold in the middle weight Randori (grappling sparring) division and then took the overall Grand Championship at the event"

I've been researching (well you know, googling) this 2003 Randori Championship AKA 2003 Irish cup and couldn't come up with anything that wasn't related to this specific guy AND his student, who according to his bio took home the same medal as him. Please notice the links are a blackdragonfightingsociety link, which I am under the impression is bullshido or at least highly likely bullshido?

http://www.officialblackdragonfighti...yer%20Bio.html
    http://www.officialblackdragonfighti...obb%20bio.html

The Grand Master Joe Cayer seems to be athletic and they seem they have a separate kickboxing coach named Buzz Conroy, who showed up in a search for local fights.

Now I can imagine after being in the business for 20-30 years you accumalate a lot of certificates of random origins but idk. I'm not experienced enough to say, what's everyone else's opinion? Anyone know of this place first hand? Anything "Black Dragon Fighting Society" makes me roll my eyes and I also saw something called "Black Lotus Fighting System", never heard of that.

This guy was on their photo page:

:Suspicious:

Also: First post, not trying to break any rules, please let me know if I need to fix/change/destroy myself/post. Thanks,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 11:31pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a quick look over his certificates, he is associated with Shinja Martial Arts Association and they have come up in recent investigations of Israel Valez, Pete Solomon, and Robert Olah. The Shinja group seems to be popping up around quite a few shady characters. I will do some checking around about his Shotokan credentials and see what comes up. I have some good friends that are higher ups in Shotokan.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 11:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very nice, thanks,

In regards to his "Doctorate" he has this listed as well

"Master receiving his Doctorate from Prof Stoffel van Vuuren
    accrediated by the South African Gov’t."

Also, I didn't directly post all of his bio so I will do so now:

Joe Cayer is a 9th Dan Grand Master and a 39 year veteran of the martial arts. Sensei served as a law enforcement officer with the Ft. Walton Beach Police Department and is also a Police Tactics Instructor.
    Sensei holds yudansha grades (black belts) in the following arts.

• Shotokan Karate-Do & Combat Shotokan Karate
    • Moo Duk Kwan
    • Shorei Goju
    • Kickboxing
    • Vietmanese Combat Karate
    • Taiho Jitsu
    • Dant’e Ryu Kempo
    • Black Lotus Martial Arts System
    • Mixed Martial Arts (American Combat System)

He also practices Israeli Krav Maga, Iai Do, Japanese Jujitsu, Koga Ryu Ninjitsu and Kubudo (weapons). In 2003 Sensei traveled to Ireland to represent the U.S. A. Karate and Jujitsu Union and fought against 18 represented countries. He won the gold in the middle weight Randori (grappling sparring) division and then took the overall Grand Championship at the event. Sensei has been inducted into the U.S. Martial Arts Hall of Fame and The International Black Belt Hall of Fame. Master Cayer received the Presidential Bronze Volunteer Service Award from the White House in 2007 for years of teaching the public. He also received the Florida Crime Prevention Leadership award for service to the community as well. In 2008 Master was awarded the Public Service Award from the U.S. House of Representatives in Pensacola, Florida with an accomplishment of having taught over 20,000 women in street self defense tactics clinics in his career.
    Dr. Cayer was inducted into the Hall of Heroes as “Martial Arts Christian Leader of the Year”. Mr. Cayer attained his Doctorate in Martial Arts Science from Shinja Martial Arts University of Bradenton, FL .
    In 2010 the South African government also recognized Dr. Cayer with the title of Professor in Martial Arts Science from the College of Martial Arts, Pretoria, South Africa.
    He is the Volunteer Crime Prevention Self Defense Instructor for the Women’s Self Protection Programs and Kid’s Stranger Danger events.

Grand Master serves as a senior advisory on the Shinja Martial Arts University Council.

I notice it specifically states he is a senior adviser on the Shinja Martial Arts University Council at the bottom which you mentioned could be suspect.

There seems to be some sort of conflict between the "Black Dragon Fighting Society" and this Mr. Vuuren and his use of certificates:
    http://blackdragonfightingsociety.bl...-by-fakes.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2011 10:32pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW-have you e-mailed this guy or called him to ask about his credentials? I've checked around and he has some "ties" to Tokey Hill's Shotokan instructor. But it seems that most of the guys he has received rank from, are not even in the same style he is making rank claims in. It may be nothing, but it does make me wonder what these guys are playing at. His link to the Shinja University people definately makes him worth investigating, as they have become suspect in other investigations on here(as stated previously).

My contacts in the Shotokan community have never heard of him before, which may not be any big deal. I will continue digging into his history and crednetials.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/06/2011 12:01pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2011 10:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    • BLACK BELT PACKAGE

$2995 (NO TIME EXPIRATION ON THIS PACKAGE)
    Includes: Two karate uniforms
    Personalized black belt
    Two private sessions with the Grand Master
    All testing fees to black belt
    Free passes to movie/pizza night for a year

Well it doesn't appear that it is guaranteeing you a black belt within a year, just that you have all of the testing feeds paid for for when you get it. I imagine that's why there is no time limit. Although I would be weary of any martial art that basically implied you were going to get it no matter what eventually.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 1:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just noticed this article: http://ashidakim.com/10.10.10.html by way of the Ron Collins thread (where he is in the group pick second from the bottom row right).

Witch mentions Ron Collins, Frank Dux, Ashida Kim and this Joe Cayer gentleman all together, among others. Big Ole' red flag signals.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 1:44am

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DanofEarth View Post
    • BLACK BELT PACKAGE

$2995 (NO TIME EXPIRATION ON THIS PACKAGE)
    Includes: Two karate uniforms
    Personalized black belt
    Two private sessions with the Grand Master
    All testing fees to black belt
    Free passes to movie/pizza night for a year
    $2995? It sounds like, what, about a $500–$600 value (if we’re being generous)? Unless these people eat an awful lot of pizza.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”