Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 1:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Now I'm confused. It must have been culled from http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=113205 , Know it all blue belts, in which case, Omega is being obnoxious assuming that
    Bamboo is not qualified to post.

See ya

this isn't enough fun to hang around, and 5 days until I fly to Hilo!! and join the noisy frogs, rain, sun, jacked up pickups with snarling "locals," friendly Hawaiians sharing pot, beer, munchies, and surfboards, friendly Hawaiians saying, "Aloha brah," and obnoxious Hawaiians saying, "Fok you ha'ole," though being stupid fucks they actually say howlee, dummies can't even pronounce their own language! I'll tell 'em and get a lot of respect. And Ahalanui warm pond, Poho'iki surf, Ahi (whole fish) and Macadamia nuts (in shell) for $1.50 a pound, the ever barking dogs and crowing roosters (my vegan daughter has trapped some, and can't eat them!), and get sweaty at the Pahoa Kempo dojo.
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 12/02/2011 2:09pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 1:49pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's been my problem for awhile. In my kung fu class it's pretty straight forward. I'm the boss. You try to give advice in that class and I'll drop you on your head.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 1:52pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    Now I'm confused. It must have been culled from http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=113205 , Know it all blue belts, in which case, Omega is being obnoxious assuming that

See ya

this isn't enough fun to hang around, and 5 days until I fly to Hilo!! and join the noisy frogs, rain, jacked up pickups with snarling "locals," friendly Hawaiians sharing pot, beer, munchies, and surfboards, Ahalanui warm pond, Poho'iki surf, Ahi (whole fish) and Macadamia nuts (in shell) for $1.50 a pound, the ever barking dogs and crowing roosters (my vegan daughter has trapped some, and can't eat them!), and get sweaty at the Pahoa Kempo dojo.
    Dude, I'm asking a very specific question. Even to him. Is it too much to ask if the guy has taught or even knows basic grappling etiquette? Shouldn't be.

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 1:58pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's been my problem for awhile. In my kung fu class it's pretty straight forward. I'm the boss. You try to give advice in that class and I'll drop you on your head.
    Does that work for you? From an class feel kind of view.

As I said ours is different we would all give more feedback. But pretty much everybody wants to be there. Everybody wants to do their best work.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 2:25pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Does that work for you? From an class feel kind of view.

As I said ours is different we would all give more feedback. But pretty much everybody wants to be there. Everybody wants to do their best work.
    Absolutely works for me in that setting. I've shared this story before on this forum. I was teaching a class one time and I showed one of my students how to do a basic hip throw. Another blackbelt was there and when I walked away from her to help a few other students he stepped in and showed her something different.

I was nice at first and let him know that the hip throw he showed was not the one I wanted her to learn. Do you see what I did there? I didn't say he was wrong. So I recorrected her. Let her do it a few more times and then went to go help some others. I turn around and he's doing it again. This time I asked him where he learned his hip throw. He said from his fourth degree TKD blackbelt instructor. I asked him if his instructor had taken Judo or any other throwing art. He proceeded to tell me that TKD has throws in it. I proceeded to remind him that I too was ranked in TKD and that's the way I was taught in TKD, but this was not a TKD class.

So I thought that would be over with and I went and helped a different student. I turn around and there he went again. I walked over, this time very pissed. I told him I hold rank in Judo, SAMBO, and Jiu Jitsu. Each one specializing in throws. I want my student to learn the throw as I told her not his and that I wanted his instructors phone number so I could tell him what he was doing. The guy acted as he did nothing wrong and asked why I was so angry.

I proceeded to take my belt off and told everybody to clear the floor. I walked to the middle of my studio and dropped my blackbelt in the middle of the floor and told the guy to take my belt from me. He obviously didn't know what I was talking about. I told him he had three choices; come out here and prove that he knew better than me (kick my ass), Shut the **** up, or leave. He chose to start an argument until I checked him. He got his stuff and left.

So yeah, I don't bother with being nice anymore in my kung fu classes.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 2:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, I'm asking a very specific question. Even to him. Is it too much to ask if the guy has taught or even knows basic grappling etiquette? Shouldn't be.
    My bad, I reread your reply, and you just ask why should we listen to you, he could have said that he has instructed grappling or whatever...

the white sandy beaches of Hawai'i, are two hour drive across the island,
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 12/02/2011 2:31pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 4:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post

See ya

this isn't enough fun to hang around, and 5 days until I fly to Hilo!! and join the noisy frogs, rain, sun, jacked up pickups with snarling "locals," friendly Hawaiians sharing pot, beer, munchies, and surfboards, friendly Hawaiians saying, "Aloha brah," and obnoxious Hawaiians saying, "Fok you ha'ole," though being stupid fucks they actually say howlee, dummies can't even pronounce their own language! I'll tell 'em and get a lot of respect. And Ahalanui warm pond, Poho'iki surf, Ahi (whole fish) and Macadamia nuts (in shell) for $1.50 a pound, the ever barking dogs and crowing roosters (my vegan daughter has trapped some, and can't eat them!), and get sweaty at the Pahoa Kempo dojo.
    I find it 100% unfair that I have to be stuck here in Illinois with our cold ass windy drizzle while you get to play in Hawaii. Very unhappy now.

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 4:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I thought that would be over with and I went and helped a different student. I turn around and there he went again. I walked over, this time very pissed. I told him I hold rank in Judo, SAMBO, and Jiu Jitsu. Each one specializing in throws. I want my student to learn the throw as I told her not his and that I wanted his instructors phone number so I could tell him what he was doing. The guy acted as he did nothing wrong and asked why I was so angry.

I proceeded to take my belt off and told everybody to clear the floor. I walked to the middle of my studio and dropped my blackbelt in the middle of the floor and told the guy to take my belt from me. He obviously didn't know what I was talking about. I told him he had three choices; come out here and prove that he knew better than me (kick my ass), Shut the **** up, or leave. He chose to start an argument until I checked him. He got his stuff and left.
    Lol, what a prick. Deserved everything he got and then some.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 4:51pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega,
    Glad this **** started here as I did not want to chime in in the advanced forum.

Do you have an issue with or diferentiate between haptic feedback and teaching in your classes?

IE,the class is drilling triangles and the blue belt says "it felt like your hips did not come up high enough on that one". Is this something that would be acceptable for a visiting belt to say? Would it be acceptable for normal members to say?

I see where you could have issue with it either way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 5:27pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember when I first "made a correction". I was working with a brown belt and I was a white belt. What was said I can't remember. It dawned on me pretty quick, "What the hell do I know? I'm only a white belt!". Immediately after I said, "I'm not trying to tell you. I'm just trying to give you feed back on what I felt." Everything went smooth and there was no problems.

Feed back is a good thing. We all have little things to work on. It's important (atleast in Judo and BJJ) that you know you're doing things correctly. Uke telling you how certain things feel or don't feel helps alot. As for me, I don't give adults or higher ranks advice. I don't even give feedback to my partner without proper criteria. They have to either ask first, or demostrate some sort of frustration or constant failure during the technique.

We had a visitor in Jiu Jitsu class. This guy chimed in while Sensei was demonstrating a technique. "You can't do that! blah blah blah, because, blah blah blah". Sensei just looked at him and said, "Okay, so, what we're doing here is,,,,,,," and finished. He was absolutely seamless and undisturbed. The guy never came back.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast