Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 12:51pm

Style: Rhetoric

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Of course our opinion matters, we do martial arts.

You don't go to someone's house for dinner then tell them how to cook.
    A dojo guest is just that, a guest and should feel free to talk AFTER class to the host. Discussion is good, teaching someone else's students in their own dojo is just rude.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 1:02pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bamboo View Post
    You don't go to someone's house for dinner then tell them how to cook.
    A dojo guest is just that, a guest and should feel free to talk AFTER class to the host. Discussion is good, teaching someone else's students in their own dojo is just rude.
    Don't take this the wrong way but who are you and why would your opinion matter in this thread?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 1:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shorei-Ryu/Goju-Ryu/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the old dojo I learned at before I moved, the instructor would always frown upon and correct those that were not instructors that took it upon themselves to teach a technique, even if it's elaboration on application. My instructor would always say, "When you do this, it makes them make a choice between listening to you, or listening to their instructor. If they have a question, they should ask." But like already stated, it falls along the lines of respect for the instructor/the person who is actually running the school.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 1:19pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gentlemen, understand that thread you were on was in the advanced grappling section. Unless you are a teacher, or come from that style please do not add your two cents in there. On the other hand if you would like to continue the topic of
    "What would you do if a person came into your 'Dojo' and started giving advice without the instructors permission"

go right ahead and continue that here.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 1:19pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 1:29pm

Style: Rhetoric

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fair enough- I both instructed and was student for over 15 years. I thought you were asking for opinions on what you wrote. I missed the part where only approved members were allowed to post.
    See ya.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 1:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bamboo View Post
    Fair enough- I both instructed and was student for over 15 years. I thought you were asking for opinions on what you wrote. I missed the part where only approved members were allowed to post.
    See ya.
    As ChenPengFi put it to the other guy in the thread your post was culled from....
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    If you had read the rules, you know the ones that say "READ ME" you'd know that isn't the case.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 1:34pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, you took that the wrong way; as I thought. I wanted a very specific point of view. Like I said, if you want to continue the discussion that fine. Thank you for putting it in perspective except you forgot to mention what you taught. If you don't understand why it was culled then that's on you.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 1:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But it is a good post Bamboo. I was once a guest in a Okinawan karate dojo and when we were doing sd JJ type locks I showed the small group I was working with a variation and the Sensei chewed me out. He IS an egomaniac asshole, but PowerfulFellow is The Correct. I should have shut up, I could have done a bit of variations and got away with it, but to show it...
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerfulFellow View Post
    At the old dojo I learned at before I moved, the instructor would always frown upon and correct those that were not instructors that took it upon themselves to teach a technique, even if it's elaboration on application. My instructor would always say, "When you do this, it makes them make a choice between listening to you, or listening to their instructor. If they have a question, they should ask." But like already stated, it falls along the lines of respect for the instructor/the person who is actually running the school.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 1:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At least I have a YMAS thread to play in now.

We don't have that strict a no talking rule. You shut up when the coach is talking. But some discussion while working is accepted.

Ok so I find with the grappling a lot of advice has to do with the feel of the technique. You can tell by how much it is hurting as to how good it is.

So as a feedback issue is unsolicitated advice wrong?
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast