Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2012 7:06am

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @GoldenJonas: It was not a loud-mouthed youtube wannabe in this case as far as I read it. It was actually a good BJJ player but nevertheless a blue and he should've stfu.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    3/11/2012 4:27pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm skipping several pages here.

I'm a mid-level blue, and when I'm at my instructors club, I don't have any problem showing techniques to newer students, but always stuff that is in line with what is being taught.

I spent last winter in Banff working at a ski hill, so I started my own bjj class for free and taught 3 people over the winter. At the end of the season we did a field trip to a nearby town to visit a fledgling MMA club, to get a different perspective, roll with some new people, and just to have my students meet other jiu-jitsu people.

During the warmup round I managed to tap the instructor in about a minute. He didn't really have much on me, and with 30 seconds left in the round he still hadn't tapped me, so I gave him a guillotine just so I wouldn't be "that guy".

In the class he taught an escape from a triangle where you posture up and reach back. It was a **** technique that walks you right into a Kimura, but I kept my mouth shut and drilled the tecnique like a good visitor. My guys asked me what I thought about it, and I said I would tell them on the way home.

It was a shitty technique but I sure as hell wasn't going to disrespect this guy and his class by showing why it was crap in front of everyone.

Lately, back at my home club, we have had several guys come in from other clubs who seem to think they know what they are doing, when they clearly don't. Our standard response is to just destroy them until they stop thinking they know what they are doing. Some of them have moved on to other clubs :)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/11/2012 8:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I 100% agree with what you did and how you responded.

...and I'm jealous as hell that you get to ski in Banff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 5:03pm

Style: judo, boxing -noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm so grateful for this thread. I'm a WHITE BELT with a couple of stripes in bjj, but now my main focus is judo. We're doing lots of ne-waza, but I sometimes tap brown belts and got even an out of shape black belt into a triangle (or sankaku jime) on the ground. I feel sorry for lower belts who clearly don't have much of an idea how to roll, so I started to show them how to do an armbar, hip escape,... I told to our sensei that I know nothing and all that I can try to pull is pretty much **** the first time I stepped into a club, so I grew a bit horrified when I read the thread.
    Next time I walk into a gym I will ask him if it's ok with him if I try and pass that little what I know to those who can't do much more but offer an armbar or turtle up. I know it would be best to just stfu and smash his pupils over and over but I really feel sorry for them.

Sensei (6th dan) is a really nice guy otherwise I wouldn't even try. A little question: What would you do? And am I even allowed to post such posts here?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 6:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickybomb View Post
    Next time I walk into a gym I will ask him if it's ok with him if I try and pass that little what I know to those who can't do much more but offer an armbar or turtle up. I know it would be best to just stfu and smash his pupils over and over but I really feel sorry for them.

Sensei (6th dan) is a really nice guy otherwise I wouldn't even try. A little question: What would you do? And am I even allowed to post such posts here?
    good, ask if he's ok with you doing that.

personally, if a judo black belt comes to train with us, i ask them to teach something i'm not good at. which includes a lot of throws. it's great because it'll hopefully give my students a little edge in BJJ comps or whatever they enter. so depending on the personality of your instructor, he might actually like it.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 7:17pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickybomb View Post
    I'm so grateful for this thread. I'm a WHITE BELT with a couple of stripes in bjj, but now my main focus is judo. We're doing lots of ne-waza, but I sometimes tap brown belts and got even an out of shape black belt into a triangle (or sankaku jime) on the ground. I feel sorry for lower belts who clearly don't have much of an idea how to roll, so I started to show them how to do an armbar, hip escape,... I told to our sensei that I know nothing and all that I can try to pull is pretty much **** the first time I stepped into a club, so I grew a bit horrified when I read the thread.
    Iíve been doing BJJ for about 4Ĺ years and just joined a judo club a couple of months ago. Obviously, Iím a lot better at newaza than most other people around my own insignificant judo level, except for a few other guys with a BJJ background. I donít see much point in just smashing people, but I also try to squash my habit of talking too much. (This is an ongoing effort.) Generally Iíll

• Give a bit of assistance with judo related techniques: Iím not going to start teaching BJJ to anyone (Iím hardly qualified to do so and a judo class is not the place to do it), but I may offer some advice on tightening up an armbar, if Iím with a training partner with whom it seems appropriate.
    • Try to adjust my rolling to the level of my partner: If theyíre good on the ground Iíll give my best; if I outclass them I may start in weak positions, or (as the judo instructor has suggested) maybe work on controlling them without using my hands, that sort of thing.
    • Focus on my judo ground game, which is after all different from BJJ: Work on defending the turtle, allow my partner to get to turtle so I can practice turnovers, go for pins rather than submissions, and so on. I have plenty of time working my sweeps, attacks from guards, and so on in BJJ class. It occurs to me that I should also let myself get pinned by beginners, to practice escaping pins.

Of course, I feel that a lot of this has to do with getting a feel for the appropriateness in the situation: I will only do this with training partners who will appreciate it, and I wonít do it if the particular instructor teaching a class doesnít seem the type to like it. This may require talking to people.

I also try to shut the hell up when rolling with people anywhere near my own level, except in a peer feedback sort of way. Few things are as annoying as people who think theyíre offering good advice, but arenít in fact good enough to do so. I am happy to offer advice when asked, but that advice is sometimes ďI donít feel confident answering that; letís ask the instructorĒ.

Unless itís a pronounced ďshut up and train hardĒ situation I never try to just smash people. If Iím so much better than my opponent that I can steamroll them at will, Iím probably not learning much from that process and better off either helping them out, or working on a weak point in my own game.

Is this an example of how one should act? I canít say, but I donít appear to have pissed anyone off, and at least one training partner seems appreciative, so I guess it works for me. YMMV.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: ďdonít go to the groundĒ? ]
    ďThe plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 9:42pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup. Talk to your Judo instructor. That is the correct way to go about it.

It is unavoidable to get questions from guys who have less experience in the ne-waza area. You know, what you know, and if you use it correctly, those with less experience will have a bit of a learning curve in that aspect.

I wouldn't go holding BJJ seminars after or during class, but, I WOULD talk to your instructor, let him know your background, and let him know that you have been getting some questions about your game when the match goes to the ground and is it OK if you share what you learned from your past BJJ experience or should you run stuff by him first.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2012 10:04pm

Style: Shotokan karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Beak View Post
    Don't mean to interrupt while the grownfolks are speaking but I feel a sign might help out alot.

A small restaurant in my neighborhood has a sign on the wall that reads:

This is not Burger King.
    You will not get it your way.
    You get it MY WAY or you don't get the bitch.

So the sign does the work of being an asshole for the owner so he can treat his customers with respect and doesn't have to explain himself whenever some idiot wants him to tweak his recipe. BTW he still has plenty of customers.

I apologize JNP if this is to far off topic.
    I know this is an extremely old post, but i actually have seen that exact sign, i remember it from when i was...maybe 12. Me and my dad were going to chicago to visit his friend who had Alzheimers. Mind if i ask where you live and what restaurant this is at?

With relation to the thread itself. We had a blue belt in our school....maybe...5 months ago? I'm not sure where he came from, but i do know from day one till the day he stopped coming (don't know if my coach told him to go away or if he just got tired of getting owned all the time), who ALWAYS felt the need to come in and run his mouth, tell us how to do things, make "suggestions" about changing our moves, etc etc.

I remember after about a week of this, my coach finally invited him to roll with him, and proceeded to tap the holy living hell out of the guy like...15 times in i think 10 minutes, using all the moves that we were "doing wrong" according to the blue belt. I don't even think my coach ever asked him to leave, he just continued to whoop him until he finally got the hint that he needed to keep his mouth shut.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567