Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/08/2012 7:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    doesn't matter if you're visiting a place which teaches complete bullshit, you STFU and do what the instructor says.
    BINGO...no question, no issue. When I visit another school I keep my damn mouth shut. Drill the technique the way it is shown by the instructor (even if I think it is wrong), enjoy the rolling with new blood afterwards, and thank the instructor for sharing his time and mat space with me.

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    actions speak louder than words and i make sure i roll with them and dominate to remind them that they're the student here for a reason.
    Again...BINGO. When I have had lower rank chatty Kathys come in to my class (regardless of whether I am teaching that night or not) that is exactly the way I, we, handle it. I have never had a visiting purple or brown belt be an annoying chatty Kathy...oddly, it is always a Blue...maybe a brand new Purple from a tenuous linage school, but that does not happen often.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2012 7:35am

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When drilling I don't like that "shut up and just do it, ask afterwards" to be honest: Especially when passing the guard to side control you will have questions that you need to ask (weight, timing etc.). If you don't ask the questions, you will never understand all of the aspects (100 kilos etc.). Our instructor goes around checking how everyone is doing while drilling and will answer questions. If it is a question where everyone will benefit from the answer, he will explain it to everyone and we will re-start drilling.

On the subject of "teaching as an outsider": It's wrong, simple as that. You don't run the school or are instructor there? Then you have no business teaching. It's rude and disrespectful (even if someone does not do it on purpose).

If a high-ranked black belt comes to visit, he will probably be INVITED to teach something, but that's a different matter.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/09/2012 8:15am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    prone, i do the same. i like it when someone asks sensible questions. that's very different to a visiting student saying "but that's wrong because my instructor does it this way", for example.

even if i visited a wing chun school for some reason, i would not argue or disrupt the teacher. if i had no questions to ask in the context of chun fantasy land (e.g. should i use the bil gee following the lap sao, or simultaneously?), i would keep my mouth shut.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/09/2012 10:27am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well since the beginning of this thread I've finally reeled it in. I handle it more like my other classes and I don't allow much outside instructions without permission.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/09/2012 11:24am

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm probably guilty of this, but it isn't at all malicious (for me). I think of it as sharing ideas... However, I can see why that would seem subversive to an instructor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2012 11:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Well since the beginning of this thread I've finally reeled it in. I handle it more like my other classes and I don't allow much outside instructions without permission.
    Totally understandable. If a high ranked pro comes to visit, you will know and will probably speak with him/her in advance anyway to determine how everyone can benefit, right?

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    3/09/2012 1:11pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been doing MA a long time, at a lot of different places.

You keep your damn mouth shut if you aren't asked. When I was training in RI, at a small place without a lot of senior talent, I was occasionally asked to help a noob with something, or teach a technique that I was having a lot of success with, or demonstrate something I was particularly good at. But always by the instructor, and then I would do it happily.

Otherwise, I said, "let's ask the coach about your problem," when technique-specific questions were raised. If the other guy was doing something egregious, I'd simply point out that if they kept doing it I'd keep beating them, ie:

"If you don't get your hips lower, I'm just gonna keep throwing you" or "I am never going to tap to your one-arm forearm choke." If they need more illumination than that, then call the coach.

It's just good manners.

Once the Coach decides that you are ok to show stuff, then game on, but that's Omega's call, not the random blue belt.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/09/2012 1:37pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prone View Post
    Totally understandable. If a high ranked pro comes to visit, you will know and will probably speak with him/her in advance anyway to determine how everyone can benefit, right?
    **** no, I'll tell them they can run the class if they want.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2012 1:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course, but that's a completely different story. Everyone benefits from that.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/09/2012 4:36pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Well since the beginning of this thread I've finally reeled it in. I handle it more like my other classes and I don't allow ANY outside instructions without permission.
    Fixed...

Damn it OMEGA!! You pay the damn bills, you pay for the damn marketing, you pay to keep the lights on, you pay for the equiptment, you work to establish business good will with your equiptment and uniform vendors, you come to class to INSTRUCT to keep up student retention and instill student loyalty to YOUR instruction and YOUR school.

Loud-mouthed inexperienced youtube douchbags who think that they have a better way to set-up and hit a firemans carry, blast double, uchi-mata, or hip bump sweep NEED TO START THEIR OWN DAMN SCHOOL...

Erik
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast