Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/03/2011 6:46am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interrupting the coach even if he's saying something completely wrong is just about the rudest thing a student new or old can do.

An outside student teaching during open mat I don't really see it as being a bad thing unless he's been asked not to or your student didn't request it. If anything your student should know better than to ask.

They should know you have a structured learning plan for them and that you don't want them to take learning deviations like learning gimmick techniques off youtube and traveling blue belts.

Personally I follow a similar philosophy to you when visiting a gym, I keep my dam mouth shut *especially* if asked to teach something by a novice. But thats more of a self preservation strategy.

Also on the issue of know it all blue belts: I hate the blue belts in this gym who waste my time with their instruction when I'm paying good money to learn the technique the black belt just showed us that we're meant to be drilling.
    Last edited by Sang; 12/03/2011 7:17am at .
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    12/03/2011 7:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Well, it's probably a bit of that. There are a lot of lower to intermediate BJJ ranks running around with no clue about protocol when visiting someone else's school. I'm not exactly sure why, maybe that's the downside of BJJ's often informal approach to traditional dojo etiquette.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    I'd say it stems from the informal culture. Really more than anything I bet he thinks he was being helpful. I've done it myself and recently had to stop myself. I used to coach at my uni club and it's hard getting away from the habit of always trying to be helpful.
    Another factor may well be the age of people in BJJ who are blue belts most of them are fairly young 18-25.

I know I've done things that in terms of etiquette when I look back at I cringe and regret and its simply down to being younger and more stupid than I am now.

No doubt if I look back after another 4 years of Judo I will have some more things to cringe about.

Hopefully the older I get the fewer incidents I will have.

So may be worth considering that people aren't always being malicious or deliberately seeking to undermine anyone, they are just young, dumb and full of misplaced helpfulness.

Doesn't justify trying to contradict an established coach, but it does put the behaviour in a more understandable context.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/03/2011 10:26am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The kid who interrupted me just got done cross training at the Cobra Kai gym. He was very big into going from one gym after another. He was the person always trying to learn the latest and greatest. While he was talented he could never get around his own ego.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2011 12:49pm

Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Out of curiosity, do you let guests wear their rank at your gym? We usually let our guests wear theirs, and I think it sends a message that we acknowledge them as a resource (I'm not making any grand claims here, but a judo brown probably shouldn't wear that to a BJJ school).
    Last edited by rangerdavy; 12/03/2011 12:58pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/03/2011 2:27pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerdavy View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you let guests wear their rank at your gym? We usually let our guests wear theirs, and I think it sends a message that we acknowledge them as a resource (I'm not making any grand claims here, but a judo brown probably shouldn't wear that to a BJJ school).
    Yes we do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2011 4:21pm

Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you ever considered giving them a guest belt? I don't really know if I would do that for purples and above, but any blue that refuses to wear a yellow/white probably needs the ego check anyway.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    12/03/2011 5:26pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    No, it actually happened. I just want to know if this is a BJJ thing and I just need to be better prepared. You've heard me vent in the past about this.
    This varies greatly from BJJ school to BJJ school. I've trained at some schools where talking on the mat was forbidden; if you had a question, you saved it for the end of class. I've also trained at places where sparring/rolling time was almost just a long Q&A session. It depends on where this guy came from.

That said, it drives me absolutely nucking futs when people stop during drilling or open rolling and talk. I've had previous instructors try to address the issue various ways: answer the question directly, tell them to forget about it and roll, tell them to ask after that drill is over, etc.

Some people just don't get it. It could be an ego thing, or a genuine "I love to help people" thing. Either way, it is annoying.

I tell students "No talking. Just drill. Save your questions for the end of class". And I repeat it over and over and over. I run timed, highly repetitive drills so time is valuable. The moment I hear discussion, I say that phrase twice (once to stop it, once to hammer it home). Most people get it.

Also, saving questions for the end of class means that they come to you for the answers, not their training partners. That gives you the opportunity to address it in line with what you want to them to be focusing on.

But, I know this isn't necessarily the point of your post.

The issue is that a LOT of BJJ school have relaxed atmospheres which allow for "improvised" coaching on the mat. The stricter, more traditional schools (like Gracie Barra, Gracie affiliates, etc...) tend to frown on that sort of thing. Moving between the two can be a "training culture shock", ESPECIALLY going from a 'lax school to a stricter one.

Some people sign up for BJJ because the local school lacks the formalities (bowing, "yes sir", waiting for water breaks, etc...) that traditional MA's might have. These guys might just not understand that there is another 'side' or method to BJJ/grappling instruction. But, once they see it, it is their responsibility to adapt. If they can't, then they are more a hindrance than a help to their partners at the new school.

I'm just trying to give some insight in some various BJJ mindsets and approaches to training.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/03/2011 5:51pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerdavy View Post
    Have you ever considered giving them a guest belt? I don't really know if I would do that for purples and above, but any blue that refuses to wear a yellow/white probably needs the ego check anyway.
    It's an idea. Let me think about it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2011 6:04pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only talking I do when drilling a technique is getting feedback from my partner, mostly about pressure and weight distribution to really ensure I have the technique down. Any other non related talk is disrespectful to the instructor.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/07/2011 9:31pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    doesn't matter if you're visiting a place which teaches complete bullshit, you STFU and do what the instructor says. you're paying for their instruction, it's not only disrespectful, it's a waste of your time and theirs. start your own class if you want to instruct. don't be a ******.

having said that, i try to be as polite as possible with these guys, because i'm always nice. actions speak louder than words and i make sure i roll with them and dominate to remind them that they're the student here for a reason.

i don't mind if people chat a little and swap techniques between individuals, just don't interrupt, correct me or try to instruct the class.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast