12/02/2011 11:01pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Here, read this thread:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=113211

Short version, you are wrong and a bully whiteshark.
    Omega is a bully for culling a post and not looking for other options according to muerteds.
    I'm actually more confused now. is the OP of this thread a hypothetical?

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 11:11pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, it actually happened. I just want to know if this is a BJJ thing and I just need to be better prepared. You've heard me vent in the past about this.

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 11:25pm

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    No, it actually happened. I just want to know if this is a BJJ thing and I just need to be better prepared. You've heard me vent in the past about this.
    I've seen it happen more in grappling (in striking, in general you just get a lot of "keep your hands up" which is honestly, fine by me). Partially, I think it is cultural; giving feedback after a roll can be very valuable. However, there is a difference between feedback and instruction.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 11:26pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Well, it's probably a bit of that. There are a lot of lower to intermediate BJJ ranks running around with no clue about protocol when visiting someone else's school. I'm not exactly sure why, maybe that's the downside of BJJ's often informal approach to traditional dojo etiquette.

My instructor eventually posted guidelines on every wall of his dojo stating that no one under purple belt was allowed to instruct after he got tired of telling blue and white belts to work on their own game instead of trying to instruct other students.

Bottom line, when visiting someone else's establishment, you do not teach or instruct unless invited. In any classroom, what would your average teacher say to a student who took it upon themselves to teach another student while the teacher was in the middle of their lesson?

That guy was way out of line in my opinion. There's also a good chance he's completely clueless about the matter.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 11:30pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow Omega we must have been separated at birth.

Kid walks in just this week from another academy. We are teaching self defense. Full of questions and "At my school...".

First during free rolling he only rolls with Tim, me and the purples. The unspoken rule is tap him often and don't stop to explain. Reason for the higher ranks is that they can control the spazzing without either one getting hurt.

After class I spoke with him and said "I hope you had fun and we are happy to have you here. Don't be in a hurry to learn everything in one day. Take your time we are not going any where."

"We are excited that you are so happy to be here and want you to become part of our team. We need good competitors and want some fresh talent."

"Take your time and learn the things we have to teach you. Learn our way of doing things and don't be in a hurry. We are here to help you with your goals."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please ignore typos.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 11:35pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Well, it's probably a bit of that. There are a lot of lower to intermediate BJJ ranks running around with no clue about protocol when visiting someone else's school. I'm not exactly sure why, maybe that's the downside of BJJ's often informal approach to traditional dojo etiquette.

My instructor eventually posted guidelines on every wall of his dojo stating that no one under purple belt was allowed to instruct after he got tired of telling blue and white belts to work on their own game instead of trying to instruct other students.

Bottom line, when visiting someone else's establishment, you do not teach or instruct unless invited. In any classroom, what would your average teacher say to a student who took it upon themselves to teach another student while the teacher was in the middle of their lesson?

That guy was way out of line in my opinion. There's also a good chance he's completely clueless about the matter.
    Thanks JNP. The guy was really nice I doubt he did it to be disrespectful.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 11:36pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    Wow Omega we must have been separated at birth.

Kid walks in just this week from another academy. We are teaching self defense. Full of questions and "At my school...".

First during free rolling he only rolls with Tim, me and the purples. The unspoken rule is tap him often and don't stop to explain. Reason for the higher ranks is that they can control the spazzing without either one getting hurt.

After class I spoke with him and said "I hope you had fun and we are happy to have you here. Don't be in a hurry to learn everything in one day. Take your time we are not going any where."

"We are excited that you are so happy to be here and want you to become part of our team. We need good competitors and want some fresh talent."

"Take your time and learn the things we have to teach you. Learn our way of doing things and don't be in a hurry. We are here to help you with your goals."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please ignore typos.
    Thank you very much. This helps a lot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2011 12:11am

Style: Youtube-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't mean to interrupt while the grownfolks are speaking but I feel a sign might help out alot.

A small restaurant in my neighborhood has a sign on the wall that reads:

This is not Burger King.
    You will not get it your way.
    You get it MY WAY or you don't get the bitch.

So the sign does the work of being an asshole for the owner so he can treat his customers with respect and doesn't have to explain himself whenever some idiot wants him to tweak his recipe. BTW he still has plenty of customers.

I apologize JNP if this is to far off topic.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/03/2011 12:34am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for jumping in Beak. I'm actually doing that. I think this is the way to go.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    12/03/2011 3:18am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say it stems from the informal culture. Really more than anything I bet he thinks he was being helpful. I've done it myself and recently had to stop myself. I used to coach at my uni club and it's hard getting away from the habit of always trying to be helpful.

But seriously the guy who interrupted you while you were teaching was just stupid.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast