Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 5:50pm

Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my experience (4 years of BJJ, .5 years of judo), letting someone else "teach" is not ok. When I go to another school, I keep my mouth shut unless someone asks. If I roll with someone at my school, I will offer advice, because I've cleared that with my instructor. Each teacher has a different preference for how their students learn, and it's not ok for someone to try and usurp that.

If you've had it blow up in your face before, I would just tell the pair to get back to rolling. It's your school. I'm also assuming you'll be reasonable, and not get in someone's face unnecessarily if it comes up :P

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 7:56pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just talked to my students. They told me they were a bit put off with it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 7:56pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    It's cool by me.

Fixed.

It's all right. A little bit of variance is good to keep my OCD in check.
    I would like to get your opinion on this.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 8:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At my school, if someone comes in and does the whole know-it-all routine, we usually sick our better blues and purples on him to dismantle his techniques during a roll. However, if he proves to have a game that's tricky and slows down any of the ones employed by those people, we usually deconstruct it on the sly and then steal it... and also smash it, now that we know what he's doing.

The only time we really give a "talk" is to make fun of each other in ruthless ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 8:28pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you sound altogether too passive in every one of these stories. I don't see how this can keep happening without you just telling the guy to STFU that isn't the progression you want to use. You seem to think that everyone who drops in will magically adopt your world view. People won't do things the way you want them to unless you tell them.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 8:43pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    I think you sound altogether too passive in every one of these stories. I don't see how this can keep happening without you just telling the guy to STFU that isn't the progression you want to use. You seem to think that everyone who drops in will magically adopt your world view. People won't do things the way you want them to unless you tell them.
    You missed the other thread.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 8:50pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Here, read this thread:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=113211

Short version, you are wrong and a bully whiteshark.
    Omega is a bully for culling a post and not looking for other options according to muerteds.

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 9:20pm

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega; generally, I would suggest you make sure your students know your policy (whatever you wish it to be) and apply that policy to outsiders too. Ask your upper belts/assistant instructors to help enforce this policy.

Since typically people outside your kwoon will be unranked (unless its judo day, and a judoka is visiting, etc), this is a pretty simple way to do things. If someone is out of line, student or guest, treat them all the same way. I wouldn't throwdown immediately, but sometimes, you might have to do that.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 9:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    In the past I've ranted about this only to get it off my chest. I put this in the advanced grappling section because I want the discussion to be serious:

So I had a nice guy come in last week. He's a blue belt at another BJJ school, a very legit blue belt. During free grappling he took it upon himself to start showing my guys certain moves and telling them what they should do.

Awhile ago I stopped allowing that. I have a model I want my guys to follow. Now, let's see if I can word this correctly. I do not want my guys to learn something that is outside this model during class and the post class free rolling. I've chewed out my senior guys for doing this to lower belts. There is a time for them to learn when they established the base to apply that submission.

Now, my question is what is the protocol at your schools when an outsider comes in and starts giving advice to your guys? Let me qualify a few things before you answer. Realize I come from the school of thought that you do not say anything as a guest in anybody's gym without invitation.
    My protocol is that outside visitors do not instruct in my classes. Like you, I have a model or progression that I teach through that is integrated. It has some flexibility, but it's a model that works.

If an outside visitor is higher ranked or a higher level coach, I'll talk with them ahead of time about their doing some instruction if they want too. These type usually don't just walk in ans start instructing anyway. A lot of times visitors just want to train. I know that I like to go to other dojo and just train, I teach all the time in my own. If I'm asked, I'll do it, but I don't volunteer. I recoginize the same issues that most clubs will have different models and progressions they use, plus, I don't know the players styles, experience or interests.

Lower ranked guys who come in and start instructing I will pull them aside and ask the to stop, usually with a polite qualification that I recognize that they are showing quality stuff but it's outside the scope of my "model". If they won't stop, I'll ask again, next time I'll either switch to randori so they have to shut up, or, I'll ask them to leave.

If they are showing something that is a different take on a technique/position/etc that fits with where we are in the model/progression, I'll ask them to show it to the class and explain how it fits and why I like it.

Edit**

I was on vacation in my hometown in Texas and visited the dojo there. I know the head instructor. He explicitly told me on the mat that I could interupt anyone and give advice/instruction at any time, and he introduced me to the class and told them the same thing. Up to that point, I was just going to work with my Step-Dad on technique and basics and train with anyone else.

That is an example of the head instructor making it clear what he expects.
    Last edited by BKR; 12/02/2011 9:36pm at .
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 10:37pm

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a student, I hate it when other people beside my coach try to teach, especially if it is an outsider. I come to training because I respect and trust what he has to say and that is why I am paying him money to show me what to do. He also knows what I need to learn because he has been the one training me, to a lesser extent this applies to my existing training partners.

So I will generally check extra instruction with my coach before I take it on board.

Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post

I was on vacation in my hometown in Texas and visited the dojo there. I know the head instructor. He explicitly told me on the mat that I could interupt anyone and give advice/instruction at any time, and he introduced me to the class and told them the same thing. Up to that point, I was just going to work with my Step-Dad on technique and basics and train with anyone else.

That is an example of the head instructor making it clear what he expects.
    If this occurred, I would listen to everything the guy said and take it on but respectfully still check it with my coach later.

As a teacher in a different setting, I know it can look bad shutting someone down but I also appreciate it when a trainer has control of the learning environment.
    Last edited by Auszi; 12/02/2011 10:46pm at .
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast