Flyweight

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 3:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    As a friend of mine has said: if you put peanut butter on everything, you'll gain weight. It may not be the healthiest way to do it, but you'll gain weight.
    Yeah, I have been eating the hell out of some PB&J sandwiches along with my chocolate milk.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 5:24pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My best results took me from weighting 135ish up to 153 over the course of about 5 months by adding a quart of chocolate milk as my post training meal and following stronglifts 5x5.
    Once I got close to my strength goal I switched to a more Paleo diet, but kept lifting. My weight went back down around 140 but my strength stayed.

Posted On:
    12/03/2011 12:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's another vote for squats, deadlifts, and milk. Personally I prefer Starting Strength (particularly the book, not the wiki) over StrongLifts, but the core is the same. Lifting heavy and eating big makes bigger and stronger.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2011 11:15pm

Style: Boxing newb, HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is tangential to the topic of the thread, but why would anyone want to gain weight longterm unless they were medically underweight or had an eating disorder? I've even read that many people at a "healthy weight" are actually still too fat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 12:44am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wuss View Post
    This is tangential to the topic of the thread, but why would anyone want to gain weight longterm unless they were medically underweight or had an eating disorder?
    I'm pretty sure that this is about adding muscle mostly, not just layers of fat.
    I've even read that many people at a "healthy weight" are actually still too fat.
    Source?

Yours truly

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 2:50am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eat MORE, sleep MORE, lift MORE

:) alls been said but my emphasis on more.

Another thing:
    KEEP doing it
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Flyweight

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 11:28am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is tangential to the topic of the thread, but why would anyone want to gain weight longterm unless they were medically underweight or had an eating disorder? I've even read that many people at a "healthy weight" are actually still too fat.
    Because for most of my life I've been 5'8" and 115 lbs and I'd like for once to be able to buy a pair of pants that fucking fit.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 11:56am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, Until I was twenty fucking FIVE I could wear kids sizes clothes if I wanted to. That's SCRAWNY.
    Now at least I wear adult clothes, but still, at 5'7" and 140 I have a 28 inch waist.

Posted On:
    12/05/2011 11:56am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've even read that many people at a "healthy weight" are actually still too fat.
    That part's true. Weight is a very crude measure; what you really want is body fat percentage or fat free mass. Muscle is denser than fat. There are plenty of "skinny-fat" people who fall into the "normal" range for height to weight (however that's derived...) but have high body fat. On the other other hand, many athletes or heavily muscled people are overweight by scale measure, but have low body fat. Also, BMI is an almost worthless measure for individuals.

Edit: Skinny guys really need to get over visible abs thing if they want to get bigger. You almost have to add fat along with the muscle and then sometime later (MUCH later-years if you do it right) diet back down. The trick it to not add too much fat compared to muscle. It's called "bulking."
    Last edited by Res Judicata; 12/05/2011 12:08pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2011 2:01am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    That part's true. Weight is a very crude measure; what you really want is body fat percentage or fat free mass. Muscle is denser than fat. There are plenty of "skinny-fat" people who fall into the "normal" range for height to weight (however that's derived...) but have high body fat. On the other other hand, many athletes or heavily muscled people are overweight by scale measure, but have low body fat. Also, BMI is an almost worthless measure for individuals.
    Ah that, yeah, thanks. When I read "healthy" I automatically assumed "fit, athletic".
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast