Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/01/2011 4:21pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Learning a Hakka Style in Montreal

Hi, a posted a similar thread to this in the newbietown forum but decided that as my post was largely CMA specific, I thought I might find better results here.

So, I guess this is going to be your typical "can you help me find a good school" thread. I've actually got a few ideas in mind and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them or thoughts about them.

I've been scouring the internet researching various martial arts (aka reading their wikipedia article) and the ones I've found to sound the most interesting are the Hakka Styles (Bak Mei, Southern Dragon, Southern Praying Mantis, etc). However, these martial arts seem to be rather rare and the only place even vaguely mentioning teaching one of these was http://www.shaolinwingchun.com/index.php?lang=en which literally has Wing Chun written all over it with rather vague mentions of Bak Mei made. I'd really like for it to work out, but looking over the website there is just so much that jumps out at me saying "no...just, no".

The next possible place that seems like a likely candidate is http://www.shaolinwhitecranekungfu.com/ which teaches Fujian White Crane. From what I've read Fujian White Crane and the Hakka styles are cousins, or good friends, or maybe just neighbors or something but they have several common elements anyways. This place seems a bit more promising and even has a rather good review on here http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52364

Ok, this last point, I'm sure I'll catch some flak for, but anyways. If I can't find a school that teaches a Hakka style (quite likely) and there isn't any convincing argument for why Hakka sucks and that I should give it up for something more reasonable, then I was wondering what thoughts are on learning via DVD. I know it's not optimal or recommended in any sense and should never be the sole source of learning, but if for example I was taking classes at the Fujian White Crane place while learning the principles of a Hakka style by DVD, do you think that would be at the very least acceptable or should you just never attempt to learn anything by DVD ever?
    If it might be ok to learn by DVD, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience or thoughts about http://www.chinamantis.com/mantis-in...ional-dvds.htm which seems to have an extensive set of DVDs for Southern Mantis.

Any other recommendations or alternative suggestions would be gladly welcomed on any of the points above.
    Thank you.

Posted On:
    12/01/2011 6:21pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like this thread got snagged by the moderation filter, probably because of the links and your low post count.

I'll let the CMA mods handle it from here.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/01/2011 6:30pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any particular reason for wanting to learn those styles specifically?

Posted On:
    12/01/2011 6:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not DVDs! DVDs are worse than nothing! Better to learn a non-Hakka style that will get you in shape a little bit, and then when you have some money and technique you can go out and seek Hakka elsewhere than it is to mislearn any CMA via DVD and self-study.

Of the choices you provide, #2 sounds best to start. Just see if you even like this stuff, really.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2011 7:00pm

Style: Yagyu Shinkage Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hopefully Ozz will be around, as he's from Ontario, and he might know if there are any Hakka teachers in Montreal.

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 4:47pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, thanks. I didn't realize links were somewhat frowned upon. I'll try to keep them limited from now on.

Hmm, I suppose the main reason I was interested in learning a Hakka style was to be difficult. :P But I like the focus on short powerful fist strikes of them as well as on evading, intercepting and jamming their opponents strikes, along with the purposeful lack of high, flashy kicks.

Haha, tell me how you really feel about DVDs. Wow, I realized DVDs were somewhat frowned upon but being worse then nothing at all, glad to know. Yea, of the two, the second seemed far superior to the first. I might give the first one a try, at least one lesson, but I have a strong suspicion it won't go well. I'll definitely have the good school checklist from this site handy when I do so.

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 5:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most people who train via DVD find themselves having to unlearn things. At least with nothing at all you're a blank slate to be written on, rather than one where all the text needs to be erased.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 5:58pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenicianDrago View Post
    Hmm, I suppose the main reason I was interested in learning a Hakka style was to be difficult. :P But I like the focus on short powerful fist strikes of them as well as on evading, intercepting and jamming their opponents strikes, along with the purposeful lack of high, flashy kicks.
    So what are your goals? The second half suggests that you want to learn to fight, but to purposely go a difficult path like you mention in the first sentence sort of throws me off.

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 7:54pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, that makes a lot of sense as to why DVDs are a poor idea. Thanks for the warning (and for saving me some time and cash :) )

Well, I suppose what I meant by being difficult was that I purposefully chose something that was rare and would be hard to find an instructor in just to be difficult. :P It was mostly just a joke at my own contrary nature.
    Anyways, you are right, that I would like to learn how to fight. A lot of my original post was, yes, looking for a way to learn Hakka in Montreal, but also as an opportunity for someone to send me an alternative. Perhaps some other school in Montreal that, while not Hakka, would still provide me the skill and training I seek. Sorry for the confusion there and thanks for replying seeking clarification.