Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The rank or the experience?

Ok, I have a curious situation atm.
    Right now I've started learning Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at Windsor Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    http://www.windsorbrazilianjiujitsu.com/
    Instructor is a brown belt under JJ Machado

The thing is, through lurking on Bullshido and other research I've realized an interest in cross training Judo during the off days when Jiu Jitsu class is not held to improve my takedowns and become a more well-rounded grappler. The problem being the only Judo places I can find in the Windsor/LaSalle Ontario area run classes on the same nights as my current BJJ Academy.

So I looked into alternative BJJ Academies as a solution and found this place:
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy of Windsor
    http://jiujitsuwindsor.com/
    Instructor is a purple belt under Carlos Caique Elias but the interesting part is he has more time training the art (granted, by only one year) than the brown belt instructor mentioned above.

What I'm wondering is should the fact that one instructor is a brown belt hold more sway or should the fact that the other instructor has more experience hold more sway in my decision? Or, is it really inconsequential, and I should just go with the most practical solution possible?
    btw the new academy places more emphasis on self-defense than my old academy. If anyone cares to weigh in on that without getting into an argument that's really been done to death that'd help my decision process somewhat. I'm not opposed to learning self defense, but my goal is to win grappling tournaments first and foremost.

Style
    Judo super noob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In a good school, belt rank is not determined by simply, you pay the money and have been here for X amount of months. A good instructor will give belts based on skill. So It is inconsequential go with the instructor you like best.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the best coach you have will be the one that you work the best with. there are black belt coaches with 20 years experience that you wont bond as well with and classmates that you just wont like.

i've had this problem twice. i focused my training with "lesser" instructors and grew more as a martial artist than with the "better" coach.

so, my point is, experiment a bit if you feel the need, but ultimately, if you have a strong training environment, good relationship with your coach, and your classmates are your buddies. that's where you need to be.

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can, try a few classes with both. As a beginner the technical level of instruction you are getting will be essentially identical from both the brown and the purple belt, what is going to make the biggest difference is which one communications best and has a training method that meshes well with you.

Style
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for advice everyone. I'm giving some serious consideration to this new academy and might go check it out soon. I feel like a little bit of a jerk though, since when I say I just started I mean I just started. I've only been at my current academy for two weeks. I have a year long contract, but it does allow cancellation with 30 days notice if need be.
    You may be wondering why the hell I signed a contract without seeing every school in the region. To be honest, it wasn't the brightest move but he was the highest rank within driving distance and I really just wanted to jump head first into this martial art. The other school only had a purple instructing, and I looked at that and saw less experience. It wasn't until later on that I realized how comparable they really were when I discovered my Jiu Jitsu academy doesn't have a schedule that meshes well with my new found goal of Judo cross training and I did some deeper research to find alternative schools.
    Oh well, live and learn I suppose (but feel free to school me on my rash behavior nevertheless)

Style
    8th degree Vulcan Logic
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    If you can, try a few classes with both. As a beginner the technical level of instruction you are getting will be essentially identical from both the brown and the purple belt, what is going to make the biggest difference is which one communications best and has a training method that meshes well with you.

I was going to post the same thing. As a white belt, the basics are all that matters. It's where you can show up the most that counts, and the factors that keep you coming back (location, price, attention, instruction).

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel like a little bit of a jerk though, since when I say I just started I mean I just started. I've only been at my current academy for two weeks. I have a year long contract, but it does allow cancellation with 30 days notice if need be.
    Don't worry too much about it. Instructors see people come and go pretty frequently, so you're not really any more or less of a jerk than people who go for a few classes and decide it's not for them. Not to be mean, but if you've only been there two weeks, they've have forgotten about you by July. So don't stress too much.

But yeah, as a complete beginner, a purple belt can teach you the basics just as well as a brown belt. You need someone you can actually learn from. When I used to fence, I'd had some coaches who had people competing for the Olympics, but they didn't really give a crap about anybody else. The guy who eventually made me the best I'd been was a coach nobody had ever heard of in a town nobody outside of the Hudson Valley would recognize.

Name value is an easy trap to fall into, and the only way to really avoid it is to do your research. If that means making the rounds of pretty much every dojo and gym in your area until you find somewhere that you like(how I did it), then that's what you do. If it happens to be the place with the highest rank, the biggest name, and the shiniest new facility and website, go there. But if it's not, don't be afraid to keep shopping. It's your money, after all.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All the advice given so far I agree with, so welcome to bullshido!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

Style
    Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go, train, watch, learn, then decide. There are many reasons why someone has a certain rank not typical to their level of experience. If you feel you are getting your money/time worth then its all good.

Style
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I would suggest is going to train under the areas' only Black Belt, Dean Hersche at Tecumseh Martial Arts Academy (http://www.tecmartialarts.com). That way you get both the highest rank and the most experienced guy. Dean is a black belt under Saulo and Xande Ribeiro (if you have never heard of them, google them) and trained directly under them for many years. Nowadays with affiliations being so loose, there are instructors ranked under people that they have met maybe 10 times in their life. Dean actually trained under Saulo and Xande day in and day out.

Ron Dupuis, the head instructor at Windsor Brazilian Jiu Jitsu actually started training under Dean as well.

Full disclosure, I train under Dean and have for almost three years now, so I may be a little biased, but it's truly a great place to train. Also, Dean's doesn't have any contracts to trap you, you can leave whenever you please.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last