supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Slash-Resistant Clothing Protects Taxi Drivers From Violent Knife Attacks

Wearable Technology
    Slash-Resistant Clothing Protects Taxi Drivers From Violent Knife Attacks

by Bridgette Meinhold, 11/29/11

Following a spate of violent knife attacks on taxi drivers in the United Kingdom, United States, and Australia, protective-apparel firm PPSS Group has developed a range of slash-resistant clothing designed to protect cabbies from hostile or intoxicated fares. The sweatshirts, windbreakers, sleeves, and gloves all comprise Cut-Tex Pro, a proprietary high-density polyethylene that shields the four major arteries against lacerations and subsequent blood loss.

THE BEST OFFENSE

Preventative technologies like closed-circuit cameras aren’t often enough to deter potential aggressors, says Robert Kaiser, CEO of PPSS Group. “Some aggressive members of the public either don’t care about the potential repercussion following an assault or they are simply so intoxicated they just don’t get it any more,” he writes on the company’s blog. “This is why we need an additional ‘safety net’; something that protects us if all the CCTV systems in the world and all the best communication skills and our great personality have failed to stop such attack.”

The material is also 100 percent concealable, blending in with regular clothing to deflect attention.

The machine-washable material is also 100 percent concealable, blending in with regular clothing so it doesn’t attract attention. Because Cut-Tex Pro can hold its own against utility knives, razor blades, and even broken glass, it’s ideal for professions such as law enforcement, emergency services, private security, and public transport, as well as industries that involve glass or metal.

http://www.ecouterre.com/slash-resis...knife-attacks/

Stylish. You guys think this would be good for the paranoid and the people in risky positions?

http://www.ppss-group.com/slash_resi...i_drivers.html
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 9:57pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wonder if it is puncture resistant? It could be good for hiking through sharp desert scrub.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 10:56pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's not super expensive and its comfortable, I'd absolutely like to get some knife resistant clothes. My main hobbies in life are hiking, skateboarding and FMA, and I think that could be useful in avoiding the sharp edges of all 3. This is before getting into tacticool fantasies where street punks are trying to cut me (they should make a turtleneck to protect from zombies and vampires).

Maybe some of these clothes would make grappling less likely to scrape the joints open on concrete and whatnot.

Posted On:
    11/30/2011 12:56am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From wikipedia:
    The tests are done with an edge that is loaded with weight and drawn across the fabric. 27.8 Newtons, the number they're so happy about, is not very much force at all. Something on the order of 7 pounds.

Puncture Resistance
    Cut-Tex PRO does not offer puncture resistance, as it is a knitted fabric. However Cut-Tex PRO is commonly used for cut resistant gloves, and during the manufacturing process of cut resistant gloves additional materials are used to offer BS EN ISO 388:2003 Puncture Resistance Level 4 - the highest possible.

Posted On:
    11/30/2011 3:14am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For now, let's just say I'm highly skeptical.

I've taken a knife to those handy dandy industrial kevlar sleeves wrapped around a chunk of really nasty tasting summer sausage and had it go through with no appreciable resistance. I had a few strands of fabric folded over the knife edge, but that was all it showed for slowing the blade. Those are rated at a cut resistance of 3, which is 5 newtons. Granted, these are rated at 27.8 newtons, but I don't see that an additional 5 and change pounds of resistance will help much. I can't see a situation where a motivated attacker in reasonable shape (like not infirm) would be unable to generate well over the required amount of force. The video on their site looked pretty good, but I want to see that knife whipping across the guy's stomach before I'd trust this product with my life.

It does need to be said that we don't know how sharp the test blade is for ISO 13997:1999. Against a fairly blunt knife it'll probably offer some decent protection, but if someone keeps their knives sharp I think all these shirts will do is make it harder for the paramedics to cut it off to get at your wounds.

Thing is, I don't think they'll be cheap and I certainly don't want to pay for one and then cut it up.

Posted On:
    11/30/2011 5:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This was reasonably impressive

I'd think it would have more applications for outdoor sports and industry than for self-defence.

Posted On:
    11/30/2011 6:02am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cut Resistance Level

Dear All
    Please be assured that 27.8 Newton of cut resistance is exceptional. Right now Cut-Tex PRO offers the highest level of cut resistance of any textile/fabric available.
    You will not be able to cut the fabric with a Stanley/carpet knife, so I think it is fair to say that it certainly will increase your chance of coming home safely when being slashed by an idiot carrying a kitchen knife or similar edged weapon.
    Our cut resistant garments are worn by police, prison, mental health care and other frontline professionals... and there is a good reason why.
    Take good care.
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    From wikipedia:
    The tests are done with an edge that is loaded with weight and drawn across the fabric. 27.8 Newtons, the number they're so happy about, is not very much force at all. Something on the order of 7 pounds.

Puncture Resistance
    Cut-Tex PRO does not offer puncture resistance, as it is a knitted fabric. However Cut-Tex PRO is commonly used for cut resistant gloves, and during the manufacturing process of cut resistant gloves additional materials are used to offer BS EN ISO 388:2003 Puncture Resistance Level 4 - the highest possible.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    11/30/2011 7:21am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It may afford some protection in risky situations, but it's not a magic bullet. I would not trust my life to this, alone.

I think the key, here, is that their marketing calls it "slash resistant," not knife-proof. They have a completely different line of clothing which is "stab vests." That alone should answer any questions about how this clothing should be used.

Posted On:
    11/30/2011 7:34am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have always liked the Idea. But have never bitten the bullet and got one. Personally I would be happy with a bit of slash proofiness for things like bottles. More than rambo killers.

Would help with the lava and aids needles on the street too.

I would need sleeves though.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    11/30/2011 8:33am

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPSSGroup View Post
    Dear All
    Please be assured that 27.8 Newton of cut resistance is exceptional. Right now Cut-Tex PRO offers the highest level of cut resistance of any textile/fabric available.
    You will not be able to cut the fabric with a Stanley/carpet knife, so I think it is fair to say that it certainly will increase your chance of coming home safely when being slashed by an idiot carrying a kitchen knife or similar edged weapon.
    Our cut resistant garments are worn by police, prison, mental health care and other frontline professionals... and there is a good reason why.
    Take good care.
    Robert
    So, if I was to invest in some garment an I could slash through it, would I get my money back?

How much would the sweat shirt run to?
    Watch my post count die
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast