Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 11:03pm

Style: Kyokushin, Muay Thai,BJJ+

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    No. I just wonder how well you can defend getting punched in the face.
    Great, can you? Is this some forum internet pissing and/or trolling technique? Gee, no wonder why I don't post often on here :).

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2011 12:53am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by powerof0ne View Post
    Great, can you? Is this some forum internet pissing and/or trolling technique? Gee, no wonder why I don't post often on here :).
    Gee, I thought martial arts taught patience! Anyhow perhaps Lindz is just a little handicapped in writing skills?

Obviously if one never gets hit in the face one would have little knowledge of protecting the head. But in the two KK dojos I trained in face was always a target. Tournie rules differ, but then, few of us fight in KK tournies anyway. I've fought guys who fought in Tokyo and other tournies and they tended to eat my liver.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2011 1:12am

Style: Kyokushin, Muay Thai,BJJ+

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    Gee, I thought martial arts taught patience! Anyhow perhaps Lindz is just a little handicapped in writing skills?

Obviously if one never gets hit in the face one would have little knowledge of protecting the head. But in the two KK dojos I trained in face was always a target. Tournie rules differ, but then, few of us fight in KK tournies anyway. I've fought guys who fought in Tokyo and other tournies and they tended to eat my liver.
    If you look at the previous post, he asks me which one trains face punching, to which I went into detail about training head shots, ichigeki, "ring style" competition rules in IKO Matushima tournaments, etc. Then he goes on to ask if I can defend getting punched in the face..I don't have patience for trolling.

I could also go on and explain how Kyokushin influenced much of the Dutch MT/kickboxing gyms and vice versa. How many MT guys in Holland enter Kyoushin tournaments and kyokushinka enter MT fights, etc.

I also trained Muay Thai and fought on Muay Thai cards before I ever got my shodan in Kyokushin, so yes, I know how to defend a face punch if that was an honest question.

Like I stated earlier, if anybody is really curious about Kyokushin, go to www.kyokushin4life.com www.knockdownfighters.com or www.budokarateforum.com (owned by Cameron Quinn) and ask the "regulars" on there anything you want to know about Kyokushin. Even Sosai Oyama's daughter, Kuristina posts on Shihan Quinn's forum.

Posted On:
    12/03/2011 4:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: comparison shopping

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by powerof0ne View Post
    If you look at the previous post, he asks me which one trains face punching, to which I went into detail about training head shots, ichigeki, "ring style" competition rules in IKO Matushima tournaments, etc. Then he goes on to ask if I can defend getting punched in the face..I don't have patience for trolling.
    You missed the part where you mistook my question as some kind of slight against kyokushin's ability to flatten noses, when that wasn't what I was getting at at all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2011 8:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the information. I stopped in a KK place and will be trying out a class next week. They said it was the real deal and they spar with no gear, which really caught my liking. From what I've been reading it does seem to have a solid rep in the martial arts world, but I'm sure I'm going to have to warm up to chambered punch drills.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2011 1:36am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd be curious how it goes. KK has the TMA culture, which is fun, but to me annoying when doing silly warmups or stretching. I did like the stuff like handstand pushups while some one held your ankles - hardcore training pays great dividends. I got a good left jab and flow stuff in Kaju and that combined with the explosive moves and power strikes from KK was good.

In Hawaii they are the no gear, trad, with lots of toughening stuff like smacking each others arms or legs. Ouch! In Utah Sensei did it his own way, less breaking and toughening, and added kickboxing gear and training methods, which made it possible train full contact sparring. Usually in KK sparring is soft for n00bs and pretty hard for the experienced, and full contact at the higher levels, specially for tournaments - with gear you can go harder with less injuries. KK seems to spend less time with kata and more time with fighting than other karate, but kata is manditory. I wouldn't be concerned with punch drills. It's not like they emphasize awkward striking - it's more like Chuck Liddell beat the **** out of tito ortiz punches. Wait to you are sparring some bb and get punched across the room and you'll see the value.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2011 9:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That sounds reassuring patfromlogan. I've yet to see the people in class or what a typical class looks like only heard from the instructor. It's a new school so I'm hoping it's not just hype. I also heard that bare knuckle kk tournaments are not held in the US. Which I guess sounded right, but that's disappointing.

I'll repost on my experience.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2011 1:50pm

Style: KK TKD GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyRyback View Post
    That sounds reassuring patfromlogan. I've yet to see the people in class or what a typical class looks like only heard from the instructor. It's a new school so I'm hoping it's not just hype. I also heard that bare knuckle kk tournaments are not held in the US. Which I guess sounded right, but that's disappointing.

Lots of knockdown tournament occur in the US

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2011 7:39pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyRyback View Post

There are different rules in the US than in Japan, but I can assure you the tournies are bare knuckle in much of the US. I participated in one about 6 months after beginning Kyokushin.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2011 7:48pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, there are plenty of knockdown tournies in the US. Most of the one's I've seen have semi-contact and full-contact divisions. Semi contact means you wear the karate style white gloves and shinguards. Full contact means bareknuckle. I actually found that I got less hurt in full contact tournament fighting because the fighters are more careful about their strikes; there's less flailing.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast