Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 3:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Info on kyokushin

Hey guys I'll try not to make this too open ended but..

After recently talking to one of my training buddies about martial arts, he suggested I look into Kyokushin. I heard of if before, but just wrote it off as simply Karate (not that there's anything wrong with that). He said this as I expressed my likings to body conditioning and power development. When I watched some youtube fights I was shocked how sweet some of their bare fisted fights were. Looks like fun.

Is body conditioning/body hardening a large part of Kyokushin? If so I'm curious how that conditioning has faired with older practitioners?

My regularly practice boxing/grappling, but never found a traditional art that was to my liking. I'm in my 20s and am in great shape.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2011 10:24pm

Style: KK TKD GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyRyback View Post
    Is body conditioning/body hardening a large part of Kyokushin? If so I'm curious how that conditioning has faired with older practitioners?
    Yes a very large part

Usually lots of abs/squat/push up calisthenics at the end of workout

Sparring tends to condition you as well (receiving hits to abd & thigh)

Special drills (basically gradually striking certain areas with your partner beginning light & increasing as tolerated)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2011 5:40am

Style: Kyokushin, Muay Thai,BJJ+

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyRyback View Post

My regularly practice boxing/grappling, but never found a traditional art that was to my liking. I'm in my 20s and am in great shape.
    Yes, in almost every Kyokushin class I teach there is some type of body conditioning. I more or less use common sense when doing this and have been at Kyokushin and Muay Thai for some time. I have no permanent injuries from neither, but maybe I'm just lucky. That's not to say I don't have any permanent injuries, I do, but not from martial arts.

The body conditioning, in my opinion, is important because in a real fight, knockdown kumite, MT sparring, etc. you're not going to be able to block, parry, avoid everything thrown at you. Sure, you can somewhat, but all of it? Not likely.

Not all Kyokushin is the same standard, just like any martial art, but I would say that most Kyokushin has a certain standard. IKO1 and 2 Kyokushin/ShinKyokushin are two of the bigger orgs with some of the best fighters..IFK is another big one out of the UK and then there are smaller orgs, etc. Also some independent orgs, and off shoots from Kyokushin such as Enshin, Ashihara, Kazumi, Yamaki, etc. Some of them are more or less the same while others like Enshin and Ashihara are big on tai sabaki footwork to avoid and counter attack with throws, take downs, sweeps, etc.

Really, I could go on much longer then this but if you want to know more I'd recommend going to kyokushin4life.com or knockdownfighters.com and talk to others on there.

Posted On:
    12/01/2011 11:29am

Style: Humbleness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes body conditioning is integral in the Kyokushin training, powerof0ne has already explained it so I'll ask what age do you mean with older practicioners? I can tell you that older practicioners can fair very well if they take their training with concistence. The place were I train there are older men and women who have no problem keeping the rythm

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    12/01/2011 12:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Martial Arts are not for everyone because Martial Arts are about fighting.

Not everyone gets a blue ribbon, a gold star, and gets to do what they want... nor should everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2011 2:15pm

Style: BacktoSanshou, nogiBJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by powerof0ne View Post
    Yes, in almost every Kyokushin class I teach there is some type of body conditioning. I more or less use common sense when doing this and have been at Kyokushin and Muay Thai for some time. I have no permanent injuries from neither, but maybe I'm just lucky. That's not to say I don't have any permanent injuries, I do, but not from martial arts.

The body conditioning, in my opinion, is important because in a real fight, knockdown kumite, MT sparring, etc. you're not going to be able to block, parry, avoid everything thrown at you. Sure, you can somewhat, but all of it? Not likely.

Not all Kyokushin is the same standard, just like any martial art, but I would say that most Kyokushin has a certain standard. IKO1 and 2 Kyokushin/ShinKyokushin are two of the bigger orgs with some of the best fighters..IFK is another big one out of the UK and then there are smaller orgs, etc. Also some independent orgs, and off shoots from Kyokushin such as Enshin, Ashihara, Kazumi, Yamaki, etc. Some of them are more or less the same while others like Enshin and Ashihara are big on tai sabaki footwork to avoid and counter attack with throws, take downs, sweeps, etc.

Really, I could go on much longer then this but if you want to know more I'd recommend going to kyokushin4life.com or knockdownfighters.com and talk to others on there.
    What he said.

Posted On:
    12/01/2011 2:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

which ones punch to the face?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2011 10:17pm

Style: KK TKD GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    H.Royama group has a special tournament with face punches

Shidokan has the triathlon rules (2 rounds knockdown rules, 2 rounds muay thai rules, 2 rounds MMA rules)

Kudo & Zendokan looks more like Karate based MMA

Seidokakan has some Kickboxing training

There are others but I can't remember them

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 4:40pm

Style: Kyokushin, Muay Thai,BJJ+

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    which ones punch to the face?
    All of them can, it depends on the instructor and their org. In my area IKO Matsushima has tournaments with ring style fights that are more or less Sanda rules. There are 2-3 tournaments a year, ring style has been happening for the last 5-6 years.

Then you have IKO1 that has Ichigeki which includes Kickboxing.

Myself, I teach Muay Thai and Kickboxing to my students once they're at about green belt. I won't get in my reasons why but it's how I do things. I'm no Muay Thai Arjarn but I do have my instructor credentials in Muay Thai, fought a few times, lucky enough to never lose a MT fight and had a few MT fighters under me. In all honesty I don't have the time to spend 15-20 hours with someone a week training them for a MT fight like I used to. I'm not a full time instructor so if any of my current students want to go down that avenue I'll direct them to trainers I know in my area.

Yes, there are face punches in real Kyokushin, in Kyokushin "knockdown kumite" rules there are not.

If you don't think Kyokushin fighters can punch to the face look up Filho, Feitosa, and Pettas (who were at a Maurice Smith card I fought on back in '98 while they were training with him). Look up Jayson Vemoa as well who's the Ichigeki Japan head kickboxing trainer and now a shodan in IKO1 Kyokushin.

I also know a IKO1 nidan that is WMC certified and was a judge on Asian Contender who has sent fighters to Thailand, so it really depends on the Kyokushin instructor, org, etc..

Then I know a dojo in Scotland that I'm going to soon that trains face punches all the time, one of their brown belts is a British super heavyweight kickboxing champion...who has also done a 100 man kumite, as has the instructor.

Look around, if you want to do kyokushin, find a dojo you like with good training, and if you don't want to do kyokushin, don't do it.

Posted On:
    12/02/2011 6:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

If you don't think Kyokushin fighters can punch to the
    No. I just wonder how well you can defend getting punched in the face.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast