Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/27/2011 5:07pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Strength program- am I intermediate now/ yet?

Some of you may be aware that I partook in the stronglifts 5x5 program for a good proportion of last year. Some of the supplementary exercises I didn't do because I was too fat for chin ups/ pull ups at the time and even though it said attempt them, I am a vain creature and there was many hotties in the university gym in which I trained, so it was either do a few shitty chin ups, or concentrate on putting the big plates on my back for solid squats. Either way, if you had been following my blog in the VIP section, you would have seen around November last year I reached 100kg squats, then had to stop because my alcoholism needed treatment.

Throughout the start of the year I toyed at the local tiny gym, by toyed I mean hit a heavy bag, hit the weights for more aesthetic purposes (curls get the girls), still did squats but generally just got myself looking big and relatively fit, since part of the reason I began treating my alcoholism was because I was suddenly single. About 6 months ago I managed to quit smoking and started a relationship that saw me steadily drop off training altogether, having not trained in about 3 months for anything except intermittent pushups. Enough with the brief history...

Okay, so I am looking to start a strength program again and was going to do stronglifts 5x5. But then I thought, wait a minute, stronglifts 5x5 is for beginners, am I still a beginner? Is there a "bridging to intermediate" program for someone a little out of the game, but who ultimately knows decent technique and still has remnants of strength from training, even if it is going to kill him for the first couple of days? It's like repeating a class in high school, even though I passed.

I've heard of rippletoes, not sure what the go is there. Anyone know or have alternative suggestions?

PS, I am not as fat as I was last year, having lost about 10-15kg, so supplementary exercises will be attempted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2011 6:41pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty sure stronglifts has an intermediate program for when you stop progressing on the 5x5 routine. Maybe stick with this as long as you are making progress.

Another alternative is Pavels "Power to the People". It focuses on the deadlift and a press (side press, although you could replace this with an overhead or bench press). It requires more frequent but shorter training. Also Dan John has some good stuff (google him).

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 5:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: NinBuKai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you were still progressing on Stronglifts you are, by definition, still a beginner. You could have a 200kg squat, but if you are still capable of adding weight on every time you are still not an intermediate. That being said, get off Stronglifts, and do "Starting Strength" (Rippetoe's). It is superior and you will have better results.

I suggest the Onus Wunsler variant (of Starting Strength), as it is made for people more new to weight-lifting. You can find it here.

Feel free to **** the back extensions if you want, but do the chin-ups as, without Pendlay Rows, you'll need back work. Power Cleans are a better replacement and you'll do well.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 5:51pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also set up your schedule so you hit your previous training levels on week 4. I suggest 10lb jumps to get there, but you can do 20 if feeling weak at first, or 5 if you want to start grinding. This should answer any questions you might have, if you want to do more research.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 5:51pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And, honestly, buy the book. One of the best investments you'll make in your life. The 3rd edition just came out.

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 6:10pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Beginner, intermediate and advanced are just words. The question ultimately comes down to what are your goals and where are you in meeting them? Do you have a specific performance goal? Or just a general idea of where you are going? The clearer you define your intention the easier it is to chart a map and see where you are on it. If you've done nothing for 3 months than it probably isn't a bad idea to go back to beginner.

Posted On:
    11/29/2011 7:04pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I'm starting back on stronglifts, I decided. I realised I had begun following my own program in the end, not paying attention to set amounts and supplementary exercises, which just meant I was short changing myself.

I'm happy with my current standing, I am probably not a beginner in the same way I am not a beginner in grappling. I still suck, but I have more experience than the average.

I think I will see more results if I stick to the actual program, get over 100kg squats (did 100kg deadlifts last night) and review then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2011 9:41am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that's a good idea. I plan on sticking with SL as long as I continue to gain - the spreadsheet that I have says the following:

Quote Originally Posted by StrongLifts 5x5
    • Keep doing StrongLifts 5x5 for as long as it works; don't start changing things for no reason.
    • After two deloads on squats, switch from 5x5 to 3x5.
    • After another two deloads on squats, switch from 3x5 to 1x5.
    • Only then should you switch to Madcow.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2011 4:37pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The biggest issue is most people will not stick with a program long enough and always look for the next greatest thing (there is no perfect program). It is always best to follow and stick with a program that meets your goals (duh) and when you plateau make a minor change and go from there.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2011 10:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah bro, as long as you are making progress don't quit. I am personally on madcow but I started it a little bit too early. I would have been better to wait for a while. If you are able to consistently add 5 lbs to each lift per workout dont worry about mixing it up. The weights don't lie, if it's not broken don't fix it. I personally weigh 180 and am about 5'11. Have 235x5 bench, 315x5 squat, 330x5 deadlift, 185x5 bent over row, 130x5 overhead press. Of course there are always other factors to consider but if your weights are getting bigger stick with SL 5x5.

http://everystepblog.blogspot.com/