supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ron Lyle dead at 70

Another 1970's era heavweight boxer passes away this month:

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/stor...-age-70-112611

<H3>DENVER (AP)

Former heavyweight contender Ron Lyle, who fought Muhammad Ali for the title in 1975 and later battled George Foreman, has died in Denver at age 70.

Lyle died Saturday from complications from a sudden stomach ailment, said Ron McKinney, a Salvation Army official in Denver. Details weren't immediately available.
    McKinney, a family friend who hired Lyle to start the charity's boxing program in 2002, said Lyle retired from the program last December but continued to work out at the gym every day
    ''I just saw him yesterday (Friday),'' McKinney said. ''You looked at him and he looked like he was ready to step into the ring. Shake hands with him, and it's like shaking a piece of steel.''
    The gym, called Red Shield Cox-Lyle Boxing, would show replays of Lyle's fights every Friday night as inspiration for some of the program's 100 students, McKinney said.
    Lyle lost to both Ali and Foreman in the mid-1970s.
    After his career in boxing, Lyle lived in Las Vegas where he trained young boxers and worked as a security guard.
    He made a brief comeback in 1995 at age 54 and hoped to fight Foreman again in a fight jokingly billed as ''Old and Older.'' Lyle hoped for a better result than the 1976 match in which he took a beating from Foreman. He also toyed with the idea of fighting Mike Tyson but neither fight materialized.
    </H3>

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2011 8:11am

Style: Work got in the way

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    RiP.
    What a fight he had with Foreman...

Posted On:
    11/27/2011 10:01am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember Ron Lyle the first time around. A Big Man and the punch to back it up. It was only a short time ago that I managed to see the fight with Big George. Bonkers stuff.

I eventually got his book and read it either last year or earlier this year. A good read.

RIP Big Fella.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2011 10:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rest In Peace, Mr. Lyle

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2011 1:27am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think I've seen the Foreman - Lyle fight. I'm going to check that out.
    RIP
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2011 1:52am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow ! What an incredible slugfest !
    Thanks for putting that up.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra