Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I don't get this! (Judo)

Hello everyone,
    I am writing on behalf on my cousin who recently tried to transition from Brazilian Jiu Jitsu to Judo. He had been doing BJJ for two and a half years now and currently is a one striped blue belt. He has two gis- one blue and one black (the white one ripped). He and I were both very suprised when we turned up the dojo only to be told that he cannot use either of his kimonos for class. The sensei said it was because:

"the gis looked like they were advertisement boards"

and

"black is a non traditional colour"

Now this left him in an awkward position since the uniforms, apart from the company name repeatly sewned on, had nothing but his old school patch on (which he said he could take down if it meant he could wear it). Also, he does not understand why people cannot wear the colour they like since even proper academic institutions like universities/college allow students to wear mufti. That and wearing another colour will not cause him to be less respecting to the Sensei nor would he act as if he had a chip on his shoulder? The cut of both gis were not that far off from some leaner cut judogis either too.
    As for tradition, he said it wasn't tradition that blue (even without patches) is worn either- so why was him not allowed? He is willing to buy a judo one if, one day, he was to compete in a judo tournmant but, until then, is reluctant to drop $120 on something which he already has.

Being the noob I was- I had no idea what to say back at him.

Help?

P.S. These are the kimonos in question: http://www.mma-prost..._37254_zoom.jpg and http://www.fightersl...stilo_black.jpg

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off
    Style
    Combat Cuddling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can buy a cheap white fuji judogi for like $60. Old school (both BJJ and Judo) dudes are sensitive about their gi's. I've heard the gambit from you can't wear that because of X,Y,Z to only ___ can wear those.

As Stewie says "LEARN THE RULES!"

Style
    Jacket wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm surprised they didn't let him use the blue one. That's a colour judo actually uses. My first day at judo all I had was my black ninja gi and they let me play.

Style
    FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My GJJ school is a Pedro Sauer affiliate. My schools requires that everyone has a white Gi. However, my school is new and most people there don't already have another Gi of a different color. Guys have come through with different colored Gi and nothing was said to them that I know of. I think the main issue is at least owning a white Gi for seminars and comps.

I've heard that when asked about why we are to wear white Gi Pedro Sauer asked what the definition of uniform was. The eventual answer is that a uniform makes everyone look the same, hence everyone wears white. Not sure how true the anecdote is but it kind of makes sense. If everyone is gonna buy a new Gi why not make them all the same color? Or maybe my school is just fascist.

Style
    BJJ, judo, rapier
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whoever runs a school—any kind of private institution/corporation/club/whatever—can decide what people are or are not allowed to wear. And some do. In judo, I reckon you’ll find this pretty common. Requiring all students to wear plain white or plain blue gi is not surprising. Even in BJJ, some schools will require you to wear the association’s official uniform (this is the case for Gracie Barra franchise schools under new franchise rules, for example).
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you can't compete in judo with a gi that has patches in those places, so that's something to consider. also BJJ gis are not cut to legal standards for judo (too tailored, too hard to grip) so that may be another reason to not allow those gis.

get a cheap white judo gi to do judo, it's not that complicated. i actually sold my BJJ gi to buy my first judo gi, so it's not like he's the first person to have to deal with this.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer. Join us... or die

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We let people wear whatever they want, with the understanding that if they become regulars, they should get a competition legal judogi.

Chances are the blue one's fit is not legal, even if the colour is fine (BJJ gis can be super tight... Judogis used to be fitted like this in the 70s/80s). Black is just crass and ninjery.

Style
    Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    I haven't heard the word mufti used conversationally for 25 years...and i like it

Mufti.....mufti, it just rolls of the tounge

as to your gi question. If you dont like the dress code find a new club

Why do you call them kimonos?
    That's what they're commonly called in Brazil and thus lot's of BJJ schools.

What is mufti?

Style
    mma
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorekara View Post
    That's what they're commonly called in Brazil and thus lot's of BJJ schools.

What is mufti?
    Thanks

At school we wore a uniform, but had non uniform days. The oficial letter home said we could wear 'mufti'

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did everybody also forget that BJJ gis are actually slightly different measurement too? I also have to agree. We have some members join from other gyms. I make them buy new gis. A half decent Judo gi costs $45-$90 unlike it's BJJ cousin with all the patches.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last