Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2011 4:31pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Uni judo clubs

Hi, new guy here who is going to Uni in the UK next year. I'm looking to start up Judo while at Uni and I was doing some research regarding Judo clubs around the Uni's that I have applied for.

Anyway, to my question; I have noticed that the Uni Judo clubs are often run in a sports hall using mats on the floor as opposed to purpose built, spring loaded mats that you would probably find in a Dojo.

Is the quality of Judo that will be taught better at an independent Judo Club than it will be at the University Judo Club?

Is it expected of a student at said University to join the University to join the Uni Judo Club as opposed to training at a local independent Club?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance guys!

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registeredTagger Second ClassRecommendation First ClassOverdrive

Posted On:
    11/24/2011 4:48pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ippwned View Post
    Anyway, to my question; I have noticed that the Uni Judo clubs are often run in a sports hall using mats on the floor as opposed to purpose built, spring loaded mats that you would probably find in a Dojo.
    SOP, basically. Uni clubs have limited space and very few have the facilities for a permanent dojo.

The likes of Birmingham, Oxford, Cambridge, Bath etc... have full time purpose built dojo.

Most universities don't.

I trained my whole uni career on mats laid out on wooden and concrete floors, never did me any harm.

Is the quality of Judo that will be taught better at an independent Judo Club than it will be at the University Judo Club?
    Depends on the club. Most University Judo clubs have strong links to their local city Judo clubs, some like Oxford are actually fully integrated Town and Gown.

Is it expected of a student at said University to join the University to join the Uni Judo Club as opposed to training at a local independent Club?
    Having run a university club, not sure about this. I would be a little confused and insulted if someone only practised at the city club and not at the uni one. Then again my uni club and city club had very strong and close links.

I had a few people who had done Judo before, some at a high level i.e England cadet squad and Korean dan grades who chose not to practice Judo at university, but they didn't practice at other clubs either they basically quite Judo.

Hi, new guy here who is going to Uni in the UK next year. I'm looking to start up Judo while at Uni and I was doing some research regarding Judo clubs around the Uni's that I have applied for.
    If you want recommendations/evaluations on UK uni Judo clubs let me know.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2011 4:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks a lot mate, very informative!

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registeredTagger Second ClassRecommendation First ClassOverdrive

Posted On:
    11/24/2011 5:09pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No worries, old fruit.