Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/27/2011 1:23am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

coming back after injury

For those who missed my bitching and whining over the passed three months; I broke my patella in a mosh pit at a Necromantix concert like a dumbass. I had surgery, three pins and some wire put the four pieces of my patella back together. In this thread I'm looking for advice about resuming training after time off due to a major injury.

I still have 2 weeks of rehab left but my Dr. gave me the okay to resume BJJ training and return to work as a server at a restaurant. I've already been gradually working into FMA which is mainly stand up so it hasn't been very difficult. The only stipulations the Dr. gave me about returning to BJJ are "don't expect to pick up where you left off" and he basically told me to ease my way back into things. I tried to explain what we do in BJJ but the Dr. didn't seem to really listen and left it up to me. My rehab PT suggested I wear a knee pad and proceed with caution. He said it may be up to 6 months before I am able to roll. The PT however isn't a martial artist and only has UFC to go by judging what goes on in BJJ. I assume it will be a couple of months before I roll again and perhaps 6 months at most before I consider competing again depending on how my leg strength is.

My range of motion still isn't completely back in my injured knee. I can't quite touch my heel to ass on the injured side. Example, I still can't sit in a low based out kneeling position and working from side control might be uncomfortable. I figure I can still go back to class and work techniques and drills off of my back for now. I predict my full range of motion will be back within the next two weeks based on the progress i've made thus far. I'll add that I only suffered injury to the patella bone with no soft tissue or tendon/ligament injury.The main side effects of the surgery and time off are; marked atrophy of my quad on the injured leg and decreased range of motion at the knee joint.

My question is, what have other bullies done to resume training after a rather serious injury requiring surgery? Knee specific advice would be great. Obviously I will inform the guys I train with that don't already know of my injury. I'll probably try to stick to pairing up with guys I know and trust for compliant drills only for now. I train Gi and I was thinking about marking my Gi somehow on the injured knee to be a constant reminder which knee is the injured one to my partners. I'll shy away from any techniques that might be specifically hard on my knee. Any other advice and suggestion would be appreciated.
    Last edited by jspeedy; 11/27/2011 1:38am at .

Posted On:
    11/27/2011 3:42pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well Speedy if there is one thing I'm experienced in its knee injuries. Both my knees are in less than prime condition. I (based on my own recovery and maintenance work) would advise you to use a knee brace. Its a useful support tool while you ease back into training. Also look into a good joint mobility program and use it regularly. Even go so far as to take some extra time to warm up the legs before class starts. For me the tool of choice is Sonnon's Intu-Flow and Ageless Mobility series. I would also suggest looking into Sonnon's Grappler's Toolbox DVD and Mark Hatmakers Floor Bag Workout DVD and or book. With these programs you can work to recover lost mobility and range as well as working to regain good position and ground movement while your waiting to get back to rolling. It wont make up for not being able to roll but it will keep you sharper than you might otherwise be. Hope that helps.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/27/2011 3:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wear a knee wrap on the outside of my gi sometimes. It helps keep it together, helps remind me not to stress or bend it too much, and makes it obvious to others that there's an issue.

Working out with trusted people is very important. Dopes can **** you up, very quickly.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    11/27/2011 10:22pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll look for Sonnon's grapplers toolbox vid. Good idea PFL on wearing the knee brace outside the Gi. I was trying to figure out something that would help remind others I'm recovering, it also makes sense to remind myself too. I can see myself wanting to get carried away and pushing it to hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2011 4:14pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is stability a concern, seeing as how all of your ligaments connect there? If so, definitely use a brace. After having torn my mcl 3x and done some acl damage as well, I've just been using a padded, hinged brace which keeps my knee going the correct direction. This is the one that I use, and its held up for 3 years, and is just now showing wear.