Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/24/2011 8:43am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You called my bluff! (curses)

The best I could do.
    I have seen this show whilst on holidays in Phuket. It was AWSOME!!!

They hade about 12 real, full grow elephants on stage, a tropical rainstorm...like real water, flying water nymphs and several full scale battles! EPIC!

Posted On:
    11/24/2011 12:29pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the full scale battle elephant places I went to as a child (just North of Bangkok) ended up having one go batshit and killing a bunch of people (years after I went there).

A tranny and ping pong show (two shows, one stage) permanently scarred some of my coworkers last weekend for life.

Yeah, not the greatest experiences with those... (I loved the battle scene as a kid)

On Topic: You haven't even started learning and you're thinking about teaching? To that I say: "All his life he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was." Focus on training that satisfies you now, not on the potential of being a sage in a BB somewhere down the line.

Posted On:
    11/24/2011 1:14pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, it was in the news, but apparently one of the elephants was jittery after the cannons when off (yeah, this show had muthafuckin cannons) and when a lady tossed bananas at it's face (presumably to feed it?) it went nuts and headbutted her to death plus stomped on a whole lot of other ****. Freaks me out because it says she was one of the biggest and I was riding on some pretty big fuckers when I went (I was 11ish). This went down a while ago (maybe 3-4 years after I'd gone maybe?) but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Elephants are treated like **** around here. There's one notorious guy in city who drags with poor baby elephant through the streets lit up with leds (car battery on the fucking thing) and you pay to feed it (It's always starving, everyone knows it's fed like **** normally). Even worse **** on Samui and the tourist-y sections here. Makes me sad, they're so noble.

Also: Sorry for off topic comments, but elephants are fucking cool. (Way cooler than manly-ladyboys)

Posted On:
    11/24/2011 1:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wadenus View Post
    Hello everyone, I have very little martial arts experience, but I humbly request your advice on my MA desires.

Can I honestly achieve my desired goals by getting blackbelts in KM and HKD. I know this all depends on the instructor, and each dojo is different. But let's assume the future instructors I find in these styles are excellent.

My martial arts goals are this: To be able to defend myself from untrained attackers who may or may not be stronger than me. I really don't have the desire to compete in MA/mma tournaments. I also want to learn the fancy hip throws and joint locks to teach men about life concepts. For example: (from my small jiujitsu experience) One has to lower himself/bend his knees to successfully execute hip throws. So one can use this as an analogy to say: a possible tactic of dealing with ones enemy is humility. I know that the fancy locks and throws would be hard to use in a real life situation. I would make this fact very clear to my students. Hence why I would have the KM to supplement for street defense. Now I believe studying a striking art and a wrestling art would have the most effecient way to learn self defense, because the aliveness training in these arts is excellent. (Again under the assumption that the instructors are good) But my desire is to invest a lot of time in HKD in order to teach and have discussions about life one day. So my quesstion is: If my goal is just basic self defense against average bigger drunk guy, would I be rediculous to study KM and HKD for a long time (say five years for both?) Or am I just fooling myself, and just study the striking art and the wrestling art. I sincerely welcom your thoughts.

btw I did go to police academy so I have that training too.

First of all get that belt crap out of your head. A well rounded fighter has to have a ground game (Wrestling, Sambo, BJJ, MMA, Judo) and good stand up (Boxing, KK, MT, MMA). Any combination of those two will serve you well. It's best to start from the ground up as the learning curve is longer for grappling and since most people on the street are weak there it can be a great place to take a fight and end it. I'd stay away from HKD (studied it myself in Korea up to red belt) because a lot of it is just Aikidoish complacent low percentage wrist flippy BS with low grade TKDish striking. You didn't learn anything useful in the academy, get on the mats. Good luck, be safe.
    Last edited by Vorpal; 11/24/2011 1:31pm at . Reason: retarded spelling

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2011 3:03pm

Style: Stabbing the Face.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The KM black belt test, at least in my organization, requires that you go through multiple rounds of full contact fighting at all ranges with a resisting opponent. You might not /win/ per se, but you do have to look at least like you have a mediocre level of competency in hand to hand fighting.

Also, you don't get arbitrarily invited to take the black belt test in most KM orgs. You have to be somewhat accomplished as a martial artist.

tl;dr: Take Vorpal's advice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2011 4:24pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Back off topic,

Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    I'd hit it.

Actually, that looks quite a lot like my dad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2011 3:19am

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'd hit your dad?...Mate!...thats just wrong
    Have some mind bleach.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2011 4:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'd hit your dad?...Mate!...thats just wrong
    Well, you know, sometimes things just....happen.

I think it was the quadruple suspender belt that did for me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2011 5:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My dad also looks rather a lot like actor Brian Dennehy.

When I was young sometimes we used to roleplay. Dad would play this character:

and I'd be like:

He used to chase me through the woods until I went into a tight dark tunnel.

:(

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2011 9:44am

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fat Russian guy in this?

*shudder*
    When I got to the face this gave me wanker's whiplash.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast