Sponsored Links Spacer Image

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    2/11/2013 9:24am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pocket fighter! Gameplay and Commentary.

Anybody remember this game? I just started playing it today. It's pretty fkn cool :)

Posted On:
    2/11/2013 11:24am

Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Downer review time!

I gave up on Castlevania a little while ago. The best word I can think to describe Lords Of Shadow is "serviceable". It's not a bad game, but there really wasn't anything special about it. The characters were all pretty flat and uninteresting, and the gameplay just felt like a rehash of every action game that cloned God Of War in the last 6 or so years, with a sprinkle of shamelessly copying Shadow of the Colossus for some of the boss battles. There's nothing wrong with working with a successful formula, but there's really nothing new done with it here. It feels like the developers were just going down the list and checking off boxes. There's nothing really wrong with it, but there's nothing really right with it, either.

I checked out Dead Space after I quit on Castlevania. I'd heard a lot of good about it, and I have to say, after giving it a solid try...I don't see it. I think I'm just not the target demographic for horror games. The first time a pile of corpses exploded and a freaky knives-for-limbs mutant came screaming at my head, or fell out of an air vent I hadn't seen, I almost fell off the couch. By the 5th or 6th time it happened, it was old news, and I'd already been habitually stomping on every dead body I came across, or sweeping the room for vents. Even if they're well-done, jump scares can only work for so long before they just aren't effective anymore. I DID like the lack of music, since it added to the creep factor, but the scare chord that played every time something came at you, again, got old fast. I feel like Dead Space really had the potential to be truly, "no I will NOT be playing this game alone or after sunset" creepy, the way Silent Hill 2 was, but it just doesn't do it for me.

I'm borrowing Prototype 2 from a friend this week to wash away my disappointment in a mindless tide of hurling cars at tanks and throwing people off the top of the Empire State building into the East river.

Posted On:
    2/11/2013 11:25am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Double post.
    Last edited by Neo Sigma; 2/11/2013 11:30am at .

Posted On:
    2/11/2013 11:52am

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love both prototype games, they're one of the few games that I've got 100% achievement scores on. The second one is an awesome sequal, very slick if a little br easier than the first.
    "Won't fight me in the ring? Don't fight me on the street."
    Paraphrased from Bullshido.

"You can't judge Martial Arts until you feel the joy of kicking someone in the face and not go to prison for it."
    Mrs Kovacs.

Posted On:
    2/11/2013 8:38pm

Style: BJJ/Zumba

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Demon's Souls and Dark Souls if you guys want a challenge and to feel the abyss staring back at you on PS3 (and Steam/PC for Dark Souls).
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2013 3:15pm

Style: grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really couldn't get into Dark Souls. No storyline, endless grinding. Maybe I'm missing something, but I really couldn't take it.

Posted On:
    2/12/2013 5:34pm

Style: BJJ/Zumba

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by legomepanda View Post
    I really couldn't get into Dark Souls. No storyline, endless grinding. Maybe I'm missing something, but I really couldn't take it.
    The story is based on your placement and why you're moving through the world, you have to work it out, and it's amazing. Both endings to the game are great, and do a nice topsy turvy spin on you if you think about things. Why are you there, where are others, what is the purpose of all of this!?

It's about being analytical and focused, you have to put emotions aside and play like you don't want to die. Learn each attach sequence and then remember it, the faster you try and go as you get frustrated, like a human, you will fail more and more and die more and more.

At least in Dark Souls you get health potions that respawn on your death. In Demon's Souls you only get drops for the first 3ish run throughs of a place (killing the mobs) then they stop dropping items. The more you died the more you moved through something called "World Soul tendency" which ranged white - neutral - black. As you die more you lower in world soul tendency, which increases mob life/damage/experience. It's a fucking vicious cycle. Certain game events only actioned at certain soul tendency's, and also caused you to get invaded more from player killer characters. *Wistful sigh*

Hard, but fulfilling games.
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    2/13/2013 10:19am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are actually many hours of dialogue in Dark Souls, and a very engaging story if you work hard enough to find it.

In many instances, you need to be at the right place at the right time, and only if specific conditions have been met in order to generate an NPC at a particular location and consequently allow you to accept/fulfil certain quests.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2013 11:14am

Style: grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I'm supposed to play the game with a laptop next to me, right? I'm all for a challenge, but I'm also not going to play a game for 300 hrs just because it's known for being difficult.

Also, I think I play games for a different reason. I like humiliating poor little kids on the other side of the internet. So I enjoy the team based multiplayer games a lot more.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    2/13/2013 12:02pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last month, I finally broke in to the Assassin's Creed series. I picked up the Ezio Trilogy at Target for like $40, new, which seems a great price for three games. Just finished II last night, didn't even realize I was on "the end dude." So far, I'm loving it, though. I'm having an internal argument about whether to try for 100% before I move on to the next game.

AC II is a perfect after-work-and-kids-go-to-bed game. It's not a difficult game, there is just enough skill required to keep it from being boring. This means that you can enjoy the game while pounding down your favorite adult beverage, in quantity. Perfect.

The story component is multi-faceted - it's historical sci-fi, as if Neal Stephenson wrote a video game. I didn't play AC I, so jumping in to this established universe was a little disorienting, at first. They did a fairly good job at making it playable without needing to play the first one, though I still have storyline questions.

Fighting is pretty meh. Though you (eventually) have an arsenal available, I found that I relied on the sword in most fights. There are only three moves you really need to win the game - attack, block, and grab/kill. If you get all the available health and a nice big medicine belt, there's no chance that you'll die from fighting. I think my only deaths were accidentally plunging to the street from too high.

Most of the fun comes from the parkour-like climbing/running/jumping sequences. Frequently, you have a time limit to get from point A to point B, and it requires you to have a good understanding of both the geography and architecture.

Soundtrack is nice, not cumbersome, and not unnoticeable. I guess AC II is the first with an economics component - they could have spent a little more time figuring this one out, because you will likely complete it well before you reach "end dude." This means, you spend the first several play-hours broke, and the last several richer than God. The key to smashing the economics is just to concentrate on it when it becomes available - buy everything you can, fix everything you can, then get back to the main story.

Things I have left to do:
    a) feathers, I think I have about 20
    b) treasure chests - mostly in Venice, maybe a handful in Florence
    c) the statues in Villa I only have 2
    d) the Assassin's Tombs I have 4 of 6?
    e) a handful of races and assassination contracts
    f) a handful of clothing dyes I just haven't bothered to get
    g) the mysterious runes - I have 3 or 4 of 20?
    h) viewpoints I think I have high-sixties out of 74.

So, therein lies the problem - I probably have 8-10 hours of gameplay left to get 100%. It seems like the mysterious runes should have been more tightly connected to the main storyline, as should have the Assassin's Tombs. I'm genuinely curious about these aspects of the game, but I'm really jonesing to get into the next title.