Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2012 12:55pm

Style: Parkour and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    Definitely revolutionary, just not my cup of tea. I'd like to see where this topic goes and get some other ideas before I say what I think the best of all time is.
    Actually, the graphic adventure's revolutionary beginning was King's Quest. But Monkey Island was the best example of the genre. I'm a sucker for graphic adventures.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2012 1:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Ah.. The Curse of Monkey Island, I presume?

Not bad. Not bad.

For what it's worth I don't think "Best of all time" is a discussion that's even really possible to have without some insanely strict parameters.

For example, I would say in the current gen (Gen 7) of 2D/2.5D fighters, SSF4: AE 2012 wins.
    Another example: Action Adventure of last generation (Gen 6), God of War 2 wins.
    Action Adventure of the Gen Before (Gen 5) is a very tight contest between Ocarina of Time and Symphony of the Night.

There are so many different categories, each with their own 'best of' contenders. At least 100 or more categories.
    You make some good points. Nearly every genre changed dramatically with the induction of memory enhancement and 3D graphics, to say the least.

GOAT system? X-Box 1. N64 was amazing, but the controller was awkward for so many games. PS1 and Saturn changed everything, but a lot of kinks had to get worked out. But when PS2 came around, it clearly thought it was king. But X-Box forced everyone to up the game of...gaming. Built-in memory, long cords, simple controller, DVD playability, online access without extra hardware...X-Box was made to make PS2 look dumb. Because of this system, video game customers got to show the companies what they really wanted for the first time since the SNES/Genesis war. The next gen (360/PS3/Wii/PSP) leaped forward because of X-Box.

The Wii was the most revolutionary thing to hit gaming since the GameBoy. Unfortunately, as usual, Nintendo designed the whole thing based on their first few ideas, and a lot of third parties couldn't think of great ways to utilize the motion controls. Nowadays, most games are controlled pretty much the same way they've always been: sitting on the couch with Dorito's and Mountain Dew, mashing buttons. And the Wii just isn't the best system for that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2012 1:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like someone to comment on some of the greatest games of this generation, since I'm new to it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2012 3:56pm

Style: JJJ/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by simonifrius View Post
    I'd like someone to comment on some of the greatest games of this generation, since I'm new to it.
    Well looking at your join date, you're at least.... four?

Has anyone been playing The Walking Dead? I think it's awesome, it's kind of like a cross between a point and click adventure and Masq, for anyone that didn't play Masq (probably all of you), link: http://www.alteraction.com/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2012 8:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by captainbirdseye View Post
    Well looking at your join date, you're at least.... four?

Has anyone been playing The Walking Dead? I think it's awesome, it's kind of like a cross between a point and click adventure and Masq, for anyone that didn't play Masq (probably all of you), link: http://www.alteraction.com/
    Sometimes, Captain, I think you don't know what you're talking about.

Other times, Captain, I think you don't know what you're saying.

Posted On:
    9/17/2012 8:45pm

Style: being less stupid

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't miss character story development as much as I thought I would, meaning I don't feel the need to explore Cloud's feelings. The freedom to be the character I wanted to be was a more than fair exchange.
    Ok, I hear ya. I think they both have their place. Sometimes I'd like to be told a story while others I would like to create.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    9/17/2012 8:56pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course there are others - but here's a few of them.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution. If you played the first one, you know what to expect.
    Dark Souls. Dark Fantasy Action RPG that doesn't hold your hand. The whole game is basically a puzzle for you to figure out.
    Gears of War series. Third person Cover based squad shooter series that basically defines the genre.
    Dead Space. Horror done properly.
    Assassin's Creed series. If you can imagine an open world Prince of Persia with stellar combat and sophisticated stealth mechanics, this would be it.
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. You would probably have to be living under a rock not to know about call of duty by now. It's a military based FPS.
    Resident Evil 5. Some people hated the co-op aspect and focus on faster action sequences than previous games in the series, but it's arguably an important game.
    Darksiders 2 This is only recent.. but holy **** the game is brilliant. It's an action/adventure blended with an open world rpg, and it works.
    SSX. arcade-style snowboarding.
    The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim Personally I think the game is a little over-rated, but there are plenty of people jumping up and down for this game, you might be one of them.
    Mirror's Edge For the first time in ages, a truly original game. It's a first person platformer with a completely unique feel.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2012 9:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Of course there are others - but here's a few of them.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution. If you played the first one, you know what to expect.
    Dark Souls. Dark Fantasy Action RPG that doesn't hold your hand. The whole game is basically a puzzle for you to figure out.
    Gears of War series. Third person Cover based squad shooter series that basically defines the genre.
    Dead Space. Horror done properly.
    Assassin's Creed series. If you can imagine an open world Prince of Persia with stellar combat and sophisticated stealth mechanics, this would be it.
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. You would probably have to be living under a rock not to know about call of duty by now. It's a military based FPS.
    Resident Evil 5. Some people hated the co-op aspect and focus on faster action sequences than previous games in the series, but it's arguably an important game.
    Darksiders 2 This is only recent.. but holy **** the game is brilliant. It's an action/adventure blended with an open world rpg, and it works.
    SSX. arcade-style snowboarding.
    The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim Personally I think the game is a little over-rated, but there are plenty of people jumping up and down for this game, you might be one of them.
    Mirror's Edge For the first time in ages, a truly original game. It's a first person platformer with a completely unique feel.
    Thanks. I honestly wouldn't have considered most of those, after browsing through the section a few times.

Any opinions on Red Dead Revolution or LA Noire? (I'm not a kid who's doing backflips over being able to kill hookers in GTA, but these did look interesting.)

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    9/17/2012 9:30pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    RDR: Damn good game. In fact, some people would call it the greatest sandbox game ever made. However, I don't personally have much interest in guns in general, and I definitely don't have much interest in colonial America, so while I could absolutely enjoy the game (and did) I wouldn't rave about it in the same rabid way that someone who WERE interested in those things might.

LA. Noire: Well, the facial animations are oustanding. The game really lacks any realistic level of freedom though - you basically feel like you are watching a movie most of the time and simply controlling parts of it. Furthermore, the rest of the graphics aren't too special at all. It's a real shame, because the super realistic faces have extremely unrealistic clothing and gait by comparison. It's like what happens if you have a fairly dusty desk, and you polish a 6 inch area of that desk - it only highlights how dusty the rest looks.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    9/17/2012 9:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anybody playing DayZ?