STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/16/2012 6:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goa Tse View Post
    So I just Pre-Ordered the X-Com: Enemy Unknown remake and I've been watching trailers since I got home. I'm pretty psyched about this game, but there's still some doubt in the back of my mind.
    ill wait to see if its worth the hype, considering that the series is a monumental failure for the most part

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    9/16/2012 6:52pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by captainbirdseye View Post
    You mean you don't have most of them already? Blasphemy. I never got around to playing Planescape: Torment, anyone know if it was decent?
    It's arguably got one of the best storylines of all time.

Posted On:
    9/16/2012 7:55pm

Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has there been a greatest game of all time argument yet? If not it's not too late to start.

I'm having a hard time choosing between MGS, FF7, and Goldenye 64.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2012 10:24pm

Style: Parkour and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    Has there been a greatest game of all time argument yet? If not it's not too late to start.

I'm having a hard time choosing between MGS, FF7, and Goldenye 64.
    Oh come now. MGS was revolutionary in a way, but I wouldn't call it GOAT. FF7 was mostly a wet dream that opened many doors for others to do what it did, only better. Goldeneye I haven't played, but from I hear it's one of the best FPSs out there.

For my money, RPGs don't get much better than the Elder Scrolls. Platformers never really blew Super Mario 3 away, but I do like Assassin's Creed. The best fighting game is still SFII, unfortunately (everything else still imitates them), but I do like the wrestling games and MMA games. The Legend of Zelda games still show me a good time at 31 years old, from the first one thru Skyward Sword.

Best of all time?

Right here.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    9/17/2012 1:16am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah.. The Curse of Monkey Island, I presume?

Not bad. Not bad.

For what it's worth I don't think "Best of all time" is a discussion that's even really possible to have without some insanely strict parameters.

For example, I would say in the current gen (Gen 7) of 2D/2.5D fighters, SSF4: AE 2012 wins.
    Another example: Action Adventure of last generation (Gen 6), God of War 2 wins.
    Action Adventure of the Gen Before (Gen 5) is a very tight contest between Ocarina of Time and Symphony of the Night.

There are so many different categories, each with their own 'best of' contenders. At least 100 or more categories.

Posted On:
    9/17/2012 1:59am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Anyone picked up FtL - Faster than Light?

Also, I'm battling the temptation to pick up all the old Infinity engine games on GoG for like $8 each.
    I picked up Freespace 2 from them a while back. I managed to miss it back when it came out, but I grabbed the FSOpen pack and got a bunch of the graphical upgrades, and it was freaking great.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2012 2:35am

Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    ...I would say in the current gen (Gen 7) of 2D/2.5D fighters, SSF4: AE 2012 wins.
    Another example: Action Adventure of last generation (Gen 6), God of War 2 wins.
    Action Adventure of the Gen Before (Gen 5) is a very tight contest between Ocarina of Time and Symphony of the Night.
    I gotta say I disagree with pretty much all of your choices. SSF4 was pretty weak, I found - I'm spoiled from all my SF3, so some bias is definitely there. I'd pick Tekken 6 over SSF4 easily. Still, I haven't really played any other fighters of this gen (they take so much time to master that you have to pick your battles - no pun intended). I'd give action adventure of the last generation to something in the Ratchet and Clank series. Though GoW was definitely excellent, I found R&C to be of a much more satisfying level of difficulty. Best action adventure game of the last generation was Majora's Mask, hands down. My personal all-time favorite action adventure game. I still play through it occasionally - I've beaten it three or four times now.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    9/17/2012 4:06am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliada View Post
    I'd pick Tekken 6 over SSF4 easily
    Tekken is a 3D fighter. I specifically stated 2D and 2.5D Fighters. Furthermore, I'd take Soul Calibur 4 over Tekken 6.

Posted On:
    9/17/2012 4:51am

Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by simonifrius View Post
    Oh come now. MGS was revolutionary in a way, but I wouldn't call it GOAT.
    GOAT? I'm not sure what this is.

FF7 was mostly a wet dream that opened many doors for others to do what it did, only better.
    That was kind of my point. We'd still be learning "Fire" at level 10 if we never got to customise our materia. Really FF3 was the first to allow class customization in a way because you could change your class mid-game. Plus the story kicked so much ass.

Goldeneye I haven't played, but from I hear it's one of the best FPSs out there.
    It is insane. If I still had a N64 I would play it to this day. The only game that holds a candle to it is Perfect Dark.

[Quote]For my money, RPGs don't get much better than the Elder Scrolls.[quote]

But why? I understand they are good games, but best of all time? That's hard for me to say.

Platformers never really blew Super Mario 3 away, but I do like Assassin's Creed.
    No arguments here.

The best fighting game is still SFII, unfortunately (everything else still imitates them), but I do like the wrestling games and MMA games.
    If we're debating development over time, Tekken 2. Jin ftw. But best fighter of all time, MK imo.

The Legend of Zelda games still show me a good time at 31 years old, from the first one thru Skyward Sword.
    Never got into Zelda.

Best of all time?

Right here.
    Definitely revolutionary, just not my cup of tea. I'd like to see where this topic goes and get some other ideas before I say what I think the best of all time is.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2012 12:53pm

Style: Parkour and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    GOAT? I'm not sure what this is.

But why? I understand they are good games, but best of all time? That's hard for me to say.

GOAT=Greatest Of All Time

Why Elder Scrolls? RPGs work best with a lot of freedom, and a lot of depth. Most games give you one or the other, but this manages to give you both. I don't miss character story development as much as I thought I would, meaning I don't feel the need to explore Cloud's feelings. The freedom to be the character I wanted to be was a more than fair exchange.

But actually, I forgot about Neverwinter Nights. One of my few excursions into PC gaming, and it was amazing.