Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/06/2012 12:06am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post

As for me, I'm currently kicking it middle school-style with a PS1 emulator and Final Fantasy 7. I just picked up Cid, and wow did I not recognize what a textbook abusive relationship him and Shera have when I was 14. I'm also realizing I had precisely zero idea of how to actually use materia beyond "WOOO EXPENSIVE SUMMONS AND LEVEL 3 SPELLS ALL THE TIME".
    This was the first and one of the few games that I maxed out everything. Then I learned what the mimic materia was all about. Can you say Spam Knights of the Round?

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    9/06/2012 3:51am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Can you say Spam Knights of the Round?
    Incoming 260k damage.
    Last edited by Colin; 9/06/2012 4:06am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2012 6:36am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I started up the demo of Sleeping Dogs yesterday, and as you do, I attacked the first person I saw. Apparently a 1-2 and a sidekick is enough to kill the average civilian, who knew?

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    9/06/2012 7:13am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    So I started up the demo of Sleeping Dogs yesterday, and as you do, I attacked the first person I saw. Apparently a 1-2 and a sidekick is enough to kill the average civilian, who knew?
    Hehe.. I guess all those Mcdojos must be selling a legitimate product after all.

*In other news, I've just been playing a fucking awesome game called Dust: An Elysian Tail.

It's basically a modern Castlevania clone. I'll do a video review at some point.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2012 7:53am

Style: Parkour and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by P Marsh View Post
    Why all the snark Colin? I don't need you trying to bust my balls and call me a child to try and invalidate my point. You may think it's being subtle but I see it as a lack of substance and execution. Bland expression lacking emotion isn't realistic and when the entire dialogue of the game is constantly "subtle" it means that there is no depth behind that subtlety, its just shallow.

No you made an excuse for the team behind FF12 failing when the team behind FF10 had succeeded earlier.

Is all outward expression of emotion caricature to you or what? Or is "being subtle" the only proper form of expression in your opinion?
    It's called "mood". It's a basic storytelling concept. But you don't have to like it. I agree 12 was dry and the dialogue was flowery. I wouldn't want all my games to be that way, but it was part of what made this game unique.

The acting, I thought, was the best of the series. The fact that you didn't enjoy it is nothing against you. Again, "subtle" and "mature" are words that come to mind. That doesn't mean you're immature, but that the mood of this piece was very articulate and complex. You had to be able to read between the lines. Remember, the contrast between Vaan and the other characters was a major theme of the story.

Think of it like Last of the Mohicans, compared to Wall-E. Wall-E was dependent on slapstick humor and caricature, whereas LOTM used music, the environment, and the contrast between cultures to show you things about the story that a less mature audience isn't trained to see.

FF12 was a political intrigue. By its very nature this kind of story tends to be very dry and subtle. Subtlety in storytelling forces you to plumb the depths of the story itself, instead of doing it for you. It's both more difficult to do and more difficult to appreciate.

Sometimes you want a beer, sometimes you want a martini. I enjoyed this martini.
    Last edited by simonifrius; 9/06/2012 8:37am at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/06/2012 9:00am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why did no one tell me Transformers: War for Cybertron was a legit game?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2012 9:04am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why did no one tell me Transformers: War for Cybertron was a legit game?
    I found it pretty entertaining, but my main gripe was the guns felt too puny. Took ages to kill anything unless you used a vehicle cannon or melee. Apparently the new one is pretty cool too.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/06/2012 10:26am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This was the first and one of the few games that I maxed out everything. Then I learned what the mimic materia was all about. Can you say Spam Knights of the Round?
    So did you beat Ruby Weapon?

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    9/06/2012 10:38am

Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Currently playing Skyrim on the clock. God do I love working from home!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2012 10:44pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I just Pre-Ordered the X-Com: Enemy Unknown remake and I've been watching trailers since I got home. I'm pretty psyched about this game, but there's still some doubt in the back of my mind.