233391 Bullies, 3975 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 371 to 380 of 554
Page 38 of 56 FirstFirst ... 283435363738 3940414248 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Colin is offline
    Colin's Avatar

    LVL 99 Photomancer

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    3,121

    Posted On:
    9/01/2012 11:38pm

    supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found the control input windows way too wide. If you want to be able to just mash to win, this is a suitable system I guess, but I prefer much tighter/more responsive control systems.

    It's not a terrible game at all - but as you pointed out, the fighting IS the main focus of the game, and I simply found that to be boring.
  2. Robstafarian is offline
    Robstafarian's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,823

    Posted On:
    9/02/2012 1:16pm


     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    I found the control input windows way too wide. If you want to be able to just mash to win, this is a suitable system I guess, but I prefer much tighter/more responsive control systems.
    Can you compare this to say, Shenmue (1 and 2 if you feel they were different in this respect) and Batman Arkham Asylum (or Arkham City)? In addition to what you mention, I'm curious as to how the game transitions from walking/running to fighting in terms of how the movement controls feel.
  3. Sorekara is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    479

    Posted On:
    9/02/2012 2:32pm


     Style: Judo/BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been addicted to Battlefield 3 since January. I'm not very good at run and gun though. Give me a tank and I'll rip it up. I'm currently a level 32 Colonel with 20 mbt service stars.
  4. Colin is offline
    Colin's Avatar

    LVL 99 Photomancer

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    3,121

    Posted On:
    9/02/2012 2:46pm

    supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    Can you compare this to say, Shenmue (1 and 2 if you feel they were different in this respect) and Batman Arkham Asylum (or Arkham City)? In addition to what you mention, I'm curious as to how the game transitions from walking/running to fighting in terms of how the movement controls feel.
    Absolutely.
    Shenmue 1 and 2 (1 especially) were vastly superior games, that may have not allowed the same amount of freedom in terms of explorable area and opportunities for violence, however the fighting mechanics were TIGHT.

    Batman Arkham Asylum/City are definitely a much closer comparison to Sleeping Dogs, and in many ways they are similar, however the combat in Sleeping Dogs feels like a low-rent version of the Batman Combat. It's ironic in that they tried to create a little more variety with regard to certain moves you can unlock later and such - but the actual core of the response and input latency is so much looser in SD than it is in AA/AC, that you aren't going to feel like putting in effort at any point, because it is never required.

    In terms of transitions from freerunning to shooting or fighting, ehh.. it's a little forced in that you basically walk into a setpiece with a fixed camera, and you go "Oh right, this is a fighting bit". Of course this doesn't actually prevent you from committing random acts of violence.
  5. RurikGreenwulf is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    ROU
    Posts
    1,239

    Posted On:
    9/02/2012 6:59pm


     Style: Humbleness

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    I found the control input windows way too wide. If you want to be able to just mash to win, this is a suitable system I guess, but I prefer much tighter/more responsive control systems.

    It's not a terrible game at all - but as you pointed out, the fighting IS the main focus of the game, and I simply found that to be boring.
    There is a lot more of the game that it though, Car chases are very exciting and chlothing and style is quite interesting. I dont usually do very much like sidequest and such in others game but in Sleeping dogs I just cant stop buying clothes and stuff to my character a rugged chinesse cop. It gets annoying some times "hey wei! can you beat up all this guys so I can do (generic trivial task) thanks!"
  6. Colin is offline
    Colin's Avatar

    LVL 99 Photomancer

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    3,121

    Posted On:
    9/02/2012 10:15pm

    supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I feel that if the central mechanics are solid - the fluff that surrounds them (talking to npc's, travelling, mission acquisition in general) only become hindrances to the core enjoyable experience, and in a situation where the central mechanics are LESS than solid (which is the case with sleeping dogs) that fluff simply becomes a break from the monotony.

    - If you're simply torturing yourself through a game just to see the story, and the story is worse than the plot of an Uwe Boll film, you need to reassess your priorities.
  7. J0hnnyB is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Kallithea, Attiki, Greece
    Posts
    24

    Posted On:
    9/03/2012 1:42am


     Style: Shotokan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The story was great in Sleeping Dogs. Yeah the fighting mechanics were loose but it made the game easy enough to make all the combos and have a blast through the storyline.
  8. Neo Sigma is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    1,047

    Posted On:
    9/03/2012 7:29pm


     Style: Muay Thai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Batman Arkham Asylum/City are definitely a much closer comparison to Sleeping Dogs, and in many ways they are similar, however the combat in Sleeping Dogs feels like a low-rent version of the Batman Combat.
    I enjoyed the Arkham games for the "swinging around the city and generally being Batman" bits, but the combat was really uninteresting to me. The Zero Punctuation review was right on about it- the main criticism was that you're not playing a game where you actually control a character in a fight, you're watching an interactive movie where you push a button and Batman does something awesome. It's nice to watch the first few times, but ultimately gets dull.

    As for me, I'm currently kicking it middle school-style with a PS1 emulator and Final Fantasy 7. I just picked up Cid, and wow did I not recognize what a textbook abusive relationship him and Shera have when I was 14. I'm also realizing I had precisely zero idea of how to actually use materia beyond "WOOO EXPENSIVE SUMMONS AND LEVEL 3 SPELLS ALL THE TIME".
  9. RurikGreenwulf is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    ROU
    Posts
    1,239

    Posted On:
    9/03/2012 7:35pm


     Style: Humbleness

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Personally, I feel that if the central mechanics are solid - the fluff that surrounds them (talking to npc's, travelling, mission acquisition in general) only become hindrances to the core enjoyable experience, and in a situation where the central mechanics are LESS than solid (which is the case with sleeping dogs) that fluff simply becomes a break from the monotony.

    - If you're simply torturing yourself through a game just to see the story, and the story is worse than the plot of an Uwe Boll film, you need to reassess your priorities.
    I like the story the main character is quite human he shows stress, anger, sadness, doubts and better than in most videogames I have played
  10. Colin is offline
    Colin's Avatar

    LVL 99 Photomancer

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    3,121

    Posted On:
    9/03/2012 9:14pm

    supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    ..you're watching an interactive movie where you push a button and Batman does something awesome.
    Oh, I completely agree. The AA/AC combat system was absolutely designed from the ground up to be as automated as possible without actually operating on its own. It just so happens that Sleeping Dogs is very similar to that, it just happens to be a much worse version of it.

    Assassin's Creed, Yakuza, Shenmue: These are examples of much better combat systems.

    Quote Originally Posted by RurikGreenwulf View Post
    I like the story the main character is quite human he shows stress, anger, sadness, doubts and better than in most videogames I have played
    I think the script feels like it was written by an angry teenager.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.