4/08/2015 1:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Crybaby Goodlun crying about the Job Market

Holy fucking hell!?
    Anyways here is me being all whiny.
    Seriously yesterday a recruiter reached out to me for a damn job for $12.50/hr operating copiers or some ****.
    Now don't get me wrong $12.50/hr to be a copy monkey just I have moved a little beyond being a copy monkey.
    Then today I get a call from another recruiter to do a much harder job with a hell of a lot more travel(95% travel vs 75%) for a company I worked for 7 years ago slightly less than I made working for them then. Nonnegotiable.
    I just keep running into this **** where people see my credentials and think for some god damn reason that they can pick me up at some sort of bargain fucking rate.

Which is funny cause I have always been on the expensive side as both a contractor and an employee.

Its not like these 2 are the only instances but they are the 2 most egregious and recent ones, I keep getting people calling me up about **** that is less than what I get from unemployment, put that into some perspective my unemployment is less than 65% of what I use to make.

****! This is getting god damn frustrating.
    Its not like I am some no talent hack.
    I have decent enough credentials.
    BS Electronics Engineering
    AS Machine Technologies
    While none of the certs I have are "high level" I do have the good old A+,Network+, and Linux + certs as well as a number of other smaller bullshit that don't matter.

I am a god damn Polymath of IT skills!

You know how fucking good I am? I convinced a company that has a whooping 2 stars on glass door to pay me enough working only 30 hours a week to support a family of 3 in San Diego with no god damn roommates(yeah look up the rents out here).

Now I have mother fuckers offering to submit me for copier monkey fucking jobs!

**** this job market!

Anyways thanks for letting me vent or even better PMing me with more shitty job offers.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/08/2015 2:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It appears to be a "buyers" market for sure.

Even after having been out of the geology market for 5 years, I couldn't get past recruiters who basically said I was "obsolete". That with 10 years experience successfully finding and developing oil and gas.

The recruiters make money on the prospects they bring forward, and hence are pretty much ignorant (for the most part) of qualification needed for a particular job. They just spam people hoping to find someone desperate enough to take a lower paying job.

That's my experience, at least.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    4/08/2015 2:11pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    The recruiters make money on the prospects they bring forward, and hence are pretty much ignorant (for the most part) of qualification needed for a particular job. They just spam people hoping to find someone desperate enough to take a lower paying job.

That's my experience, at least.
    Yeah I get that, its even worse in IT/Engineering cause they really have no fucking clue. I am just frustrated cause my phone keeps ringing and its like oh hey this could be a real opportunity and it just turns out to be bullshit.
    Even worse when you go through the whole interview process and everything and your like this sounds good and the what not and they like you and all then comes the offer and its WAY off base.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.

Posted On:
    4/08/2015 2:16pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Yeah I get that, its even worse in IT/Engineering cause they really have no fucking clue. I am just frustrated cause my phone keeps ringing and its like oh hey this could be a real opportunity and it just turns out to be bullshit.
    Even worse when you go through the whole interview process and everything and your like this sounds good and the what not and they like you and all then comes the offer and its WAY off base.
    I never could get past the fucking "recruiters". I finally had a decent one who explained the process to me. Basically, the recruiter will get laughed at if they "recommend" someone who has been out of circulation for even a couple of years. So regardless of qualification and experience, they just don't go there.

I told one guy I wanted to talk to someone who had a fucking clue about the oil business and geology. Needless to say, I didn't get far on that one, LOL !

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/08/2015 2:42pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A good friend of mine is an IT recruiter, and has told me that most IT recruiters know just enough about the industry to sound knowledgeable, and many recruiters will walk clients through how to best doctor their resume so it looks applicable to a certain job.

Solves puzzles that torture the mind.

Posted On:
    4/08/2015 2:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Boran

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're now ready for the next level of training.

Go read this.

Posted On:
    4/08/2015 3:03pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I never could get past the fucking "recruiters". I finally had a decent one who explained the process to me. Basically, the recruiter will get laughed at if they "recommend" someone who has been out of circulation for even a couple of years. So regardless of qualification and experience, they just don't go there.

I told one guy I wanted to talk to someone who had a fucking clue about the oil business and geology. Needless to say, I didn't get far on that one, LOL !
    See this is major bullshit and what a fucking waste.
    All those years of education, plus real world practical skills to find **** we need.
    But NOPE!
    **** that **** man, I feel for you.

Posted On:
    4/08/2015 3:09pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    You're now ready for the next level of training.

Go read this.

OK, I will. Not sure if I'm ready yet, but I'll try...

Posted On:
    4/08/2015 3:10pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    See this is major bullshit and what a fucking waste.
    All those years of education, plus real world practical skills to find **** we need.
    But NOPE!
    **** that **** man, I feel for you.
    I gave up a long time ago. The way my life was going, I decided I wanted to raise my kids a day at a time, not be gone away for weeks and home for a week or two, regardless of the money involved.

Before my marriage went south permanently, I was considering it, though.

Posted On:
    4/08/2015 3:13pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    A good friend of mine is an IT recruiter, and has told me that most IT recruiters know just enough about the industry to sound knowledgeable, and many recruiters will walk clients through how to best doctor their resume so it looks applicable to a certain job.
    I have to admit I am SO over individualizing my resume for every job I apply for.
    Which is going to hurt me but man I have just been burned too many times.
    Where I go through every thing and get an offer that is just down right ridiculous.

I **** you not, I went in for a Field Support Engineer position at a company I was already apprehensive because it was extended stay travel both domestic and international for up to a month at a job site and they where not too keen at flying you home for the weekend. Anyways I go through the whole rigmarole getting tested doing 3 levels of interviews. Blowing them fucking away with my knowledge of PLCs and IT ****. Showing them some of the contract Electrical and Control systems work I had done(albeit a bit redacted) for General fucking Atomics. Showed them some of the c embedded code I have done you know all that ****.
    Its not like I was vastly overqualified for this job either maybe a bit more jr then normal. But the duties more or less used a lot of my skill sets.

The offer.

$120/Day (or $15/hr * 8 hours but you know no overtime)

**** me this should have been an 65k-80k a year field Job more towards the high end due to the nature of the travel when combined with the skills and education they wanted.

**** me some more they left the position open for 6 months then cancelled it cause they couldn't get anyone to take it.
Page 1 of 15 1 234511 ... LastLast