224701 Bullies, 4077 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 38
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Geckodude is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3

    Posted On:
    11/25/2011 1:25am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Suio Ryu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey all, I train with Bradford at the SD Suio Ryu dojo and I popped on to answer questions, lend moral support etc.

    Yes, the training has a set of kumi-iai kata. In addition, most of the main iai curriculum has a "kage" or counter technique to illustrate some possible options. These make the most sense if paired with the original kata. The jo-jutsu, naginata-jutsu, wakizashi etc are all done as pair work.

    As for free sparring, it is the ultimate goal to reach that level of confidence in our iai, but we aren't there yet. The soke of the school encourages exploring the techniques and trying variations. When he and his son demonstrate iai they don't prearrange the techniques and they are in essence "free sparring" with shinken. Maybe after 30 years we'll give that a try (or not).

    If interested take a peek at the website. There are a few study groups all over the place. But you have to be in it for the long haul to enjoy it. You won't get any fancy ranks to show off to your friends and it will take a life time to get any good at it.

    Thanks for the interest. As Bradford mentioned above, the YouTube NHK Samurai Spirit: Kobudo episode has some good footage of the ryu. Cheers.

    JTB
  2. Mad Monk is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Saga Prefecture, Japan
    Posts
    21

    Posted On:
    11/25/2011 1:27am


     Style: Suiō-ryū

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    Nice to see Suio Ryu going a little more public. Nice, clean website void of the overbearing clutter or simple technical glitches that are common in many martial arts webpages. Give my regards to Mr. Stokes, my group knows him through our affiliation with Yamazaki Sensei.
    Thanks!

    I'll definitely pass the word to Brian. What was your name and I'll let him know.

    Best,

    Bradford
  3. Mad Monk is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Saga Prefecture, Japan
    Posts
    21

    Posted On:
    11/25/2011 1:33am


     Style: Suiō-ryū

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    Yes, I have run into term kenpo to describe Ko-Ryu Kenjustu. The confusion is fist and blade can be both pronounced "ken" but they are two different kanji. Unfortunately I am on my phone so I can't post them.
    I noticed you had Nihon Jujutsu listed as your style. Is this the same NJ as taught within Kokusai Budoin?
  4. Mad Monk is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Saga Prefecture, Japan
    Posts
    21

    Posted On:
    11/25/2011 1:37am


     Style: Suiō-ryū

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Interesting. I've never heard the term kempo describe a sword art, usually just punch and kick type stuff. Do you guys spar? What's the kusarigama like?
    I saw you're in San Diego as well. If you're ever interested, hit us up through the website and come check it out!
  5. Rock Ape is offline
    Rock Ape's Avatar

    Watch and Shoot !

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,135

    Posted On:
    11/25/2011 5:40am

    staff
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Kanji for those who care ...

    拳 -Fist

    剣 or 劒 -Sword
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

    ~Ella Wheeler
  6. Plasma is offline
    Plasma's Avatar

    Bullshido Admin

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,074

    Posted On:
    11/25/2011 10:46am

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Monk View Post
    I noticed you had Nihon Jujutsu listed as your style. Is this the same NJ as taught within Kokusai Budoin?
    No. Nihon just means Japanese so it's a pretty generic term. We use Asayama Ichiden-ryu as our core ryu-ha.
  7. daishi is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    732

    Posted On:
    11/25/2011 10:55am


     Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mr. Stokes doesn't know who I am. I just know who he is through Yamazaki Kiyoshi Sensei. We are in the Iai Tate Do Federation, but I really don't do iai much, mostly at seminars and the rare occasions my friends convince me to stay after Judo or aikido to attend iaido. I think Yamazaki Sensei retired his responsibilities running the Iai Tate Do to Roger Jarrett, but Yamakai still remains as a technical advisor in our Iai and Karate program. Regardless, my best to your group...I have a lot of respect for you. Hopefully I can stop by and visit the Ohio school sometime, though I can barely get through the standard setei gata anymore, let alone actual Suio Ryu waza.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Monk View Post
    Thanks!

    I'll definitely pass the word to Brian. What was your name and I'll let him know.

    Best,

    Bradford
  8. daishi is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    732

    Posted On:
    11/25/2011 10:59am


     Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckodude View Post
    Hey all, I train with Bradford at the SD Suio Ryu dojo and I popped on to answer questions, lend moral support etc.

    Yes, the training has a set of kumi-iai kata. In addition, most of the main iai curriculum has a "kage" or counter technique to illustrate some possible options. These make the most sense if paired with the original kata. The jo-jutsu, naginata-jutsu, wakizashi etc are all done as pair work.

    As for free sparring, it is the ultimate goal to reach that level of confidence in our iai, but we aren't there yet. The soke of the school encourages exploring the techniques and trying variations. When he and his son demonstrate iai they don't prearrange the techniques and they are in essence "free sparring" with shinken. Maybe after 30 years we'll give that a try (or not).

    If interested take a peek at the website. There are a few study groups all over the place. But you have to be in it for the long haul to enjoy it. You won't get any fancy ranks to show off to your friends and it will take a life time to get any good at it.

    Thanks for the interest. As Bradford mentioned above, the YouTube NHK Samurai Spirit: Kobudo episode has some good footage of the ryu. Cheers.

    JTB
    Quick question, are you guys doing paired sets of mixed weaponry? Ie naginata paired with sword, etc?

    We actually have bokken jiyuwaza as a requirement for 4th dan in aikido. We do it in Iai class, but I don't know that its a req yet. But we're definitely not trying to KO each other or anything, lol.
  9. Geckodude is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3

    Posted On:
    11/26/2011 3:24am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Suio Ryu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    Quick question, are you guys doing paired sets of mixed weaponry? Ie naginata paired with sword, etc?

    We actually have bokken jiyuwaza as a requirement for 4th dan in aikido. We do it in Iai class, but I don't know that its a req yet. But we're definitely not trying to KO each other or anything, lol.
    Yes, much of it is mixed weapon. Kenpo/kumi-iai is obviously sword on sword. There is jo vs. sword and a set of ai-jo which is jo on jo. The main naginata paired work is nagi vs. sword. There is a set of yari vs. naginata, but in that case the yari is simply to allow for the naginata training; there are no yari kata per se. I think it is a throw back to when the monks would get rowdy and strut into Kyoto. The samurai guarding the place had yari so the monks have some yari vs. naginata in their training to prepare for that.

    JTB
  10. daishi is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    732

    Posted On:
    11/26/2011 6:46pm


     Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckodude View Post
    Yes, much of it is mixed weapon. Kenpo/kumi-iai is obviously sword on sword. There is jo vs. sword and a set of ai-jo which is jo on jo. The main naginata paired work is nagi vs. sword. There is a set of yari vs. naginata, but in that case the yari is simply to allow for the naginata training; there are no yari kata per se. I think it is a throw back to when the monks would get rowdy and strut into Kyoto. The samurai guarding the place had yari so the monks have some yari vs. naginata in their training to prepare for that.

    JTB
    That's great. I've found the most valuable techniques we do are combined weapons requiring challenging ma'ai. My favorite are kumi tachi tanto. We have a couple forms influenced from Hozoin monks. Naginata would be super cool to watch. Many of the guys from my school visited naginata schools the last couple times they went to Japan for budo festivals...unfortunately I was fighting terrorizers and could not attend.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.