Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/22/2011 10:01pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 100xobm View Post
    To be fair he's not advocating for magic powers, just asking for an explanation.
    Yeah, I'll buy that. I was scanning the post, and took it as "what explanation could there be but teh inscrutable Chinese voodoo?" I retract my STFU.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    11/22/2011 10:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post

Weird how you described this exact video.

Yes it is a trick.
    Wow... that was bad but those videos inspired me.
    Clumsy and ham handed the attempts are but hey, at least they tried. They forged headlong and made the most out of their CC level film courses and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/23/2011 12:15am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shorei-Ryu/Goju-Ryu/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No I am not advocating chi. But strangely enough, neither is this individual. He never calls it chi, because not even he knows if it's the wind or some other realistic fact that plays into it. He is even skeptical. He just does Qi-gong an hour a day and says he saw those exact videos and tried it.

Whether you believe my account or not, I am 100% sure there is no magic switch. And I do not have "the"/a video unfortunately. But assuming that I'm not dishing bullshit, which I am not as far as I know, how is this possible, is all I am asking.

No downward swing. Just direct, and I saw it with my own eyes. I'm not saying "HOLY FCK CHI EXISTS" I am merely asking, what are some possible explanations to what occured?

I will try to land a video. But until then, I merely want explanations before I start even thinking chi (my opinion: chi = will-power) can be.... "manifested" into something physical.

Not advocating. Not even seriously suggesting. Just asking for some bullshido.net explanations.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    11/23/2011 1:30am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty simple physics.

The top of the glass cover is still open in both videos.

Glass is very smooth and air rolls across it easily.

Any swift motion near the lamp will cause a compression wave of air to move over the top of glass cover.

The pressure from this will induce the Bernoulli effect over the top of the glass, causing the air to leave the interior of the glass case, creating a brief vacuum inside. In essence you are creating a temporary vacuum tube.

Thus, the flame is being diminished/extinguished by lack of oxygen due to the Bernoulli effect.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/23/2011 4:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shorei-Ryu/Goju-Ryu/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Pretty simple physics.

The top of the glass cover is still open in both videos.

Glass is very smooth and air rolls across it easily.

Any swift motion near the lamp will cause a compression wave of air to move over the top of glass cover.

The pressure from this will induce the Bernoulli effect over the top of the glass, causing the air to leave the interior of the glass case, creating a brief vacuum inside. In essence you are creating a temporary vacuum tube.

Thus, the flame is being diminished/extinguished by lack of oxygen due to the Bernoulli effect.
    Can this also do the reverse, and cause the flame to rise rapidly upto the top?

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    11/23/2011 10:08am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerfulFellow View Post
    Can this also do the reverse, and cause the flame to rise rapidly upto the top?
    Sure.

The flame might seem to grow a bit because what's happening is the vacuum created is only for a moment...since the system is open air flows right back down inside the glass cover, as soon as the flame can reach those oxygen molecules again, it "flares" a bit and will seem to grow, mostly because of the shape of the cover.

The science experiment that illustrates the void "lift" (the classic Bernoulli paper strip trick) also illustrates the "dousing" of the flame. These are the same principles that allow aerodynamics/flight.

In this one, blowing horizontally across a paper stripe creates lift under the strip (because you've created a temporary low pressure zone above it i.e. Bernoulli).

and the Bernoulli straw effect shows that an open flame can be "moved" around using the same pressure variances.

In fact, Bernoulli is responsible for at least half a dozen "magic tricks" I can think of.

This is a decent video...even though the narrator is a dork.

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 11/23/2011 10:17am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2011 10:32am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, there are people that are very good at controlling winds. Did he make you pull his finger before doing his trick?

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/23/2011 11:34am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, one of the bigger frauds was able to blow imperceptibly down his finger and put out candles.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2011 6:22pm

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, perhaps one of the site admins could compile a list of common "chi tricks" along with how the trick actually works and put them in a sticky thread somewhere. Sorry if such a thread already exists.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/23/2011 6:37pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We had one somewhere and it was lost in the move
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast