Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 3:56am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is this school worthy of an investigation?

Check out the site http://www.tcma.biz/default.html. I'm willing to do the leg work if you guys believe this place is worthy, this school is only a mile from my house.
    The biggest thing that irks me about the school is that they offer belt ranks in their system which supposedly comprises of
    • Muay Thai Kick Boxing
    • Krabi Krabong
    • Muay Boran
    • CRT™: Close Range Tactics™ (WingChun)
    • Counter Grappling™
    • PWS™: Progressive Weapons Systems™ (Pilipino Escrima)
    I smell some bullshido from these guys, I've seen their fighters get beat up pretty quick by some talentless dutch cross guys. And offering belts in a bunch of systems that don't use a gi is pretty stupid. And Master David's blog? What the hell is that ****? Grandmaster Toddy?

I dunno, I might just be paranoid because I'm a stoner but I smell some mcdojoism at least, I need to go there and find out what their prices are.
    Do you all think its worth taking a look?

Edit: Counter grappling? Crappling hahaha
  2. KungFuBot

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 3:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the Bullshido Forums NoTeefa... Make sure you review your dojo and add it to your user control panel so you can get the icon in your user info bar in your posts.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 4:47am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Master Toddy was one of the early pioneers of Muay Thai in the West if memory serves.

They teach Krabi Krabong and Muay Boran, which are more like choreographed two man forms than actual applicable fighting arts but as long as they're not marketed as such I don't see a problem.

This raises an eyebrow:

"Counter Grappling™: Want to develop a ground game that is fit for the streets? Want to develop awesome skills if someone grabs you and forces you to the ground? Counter Grappling goes beyond the sport and helps you condition your body for the clinch. In this system you wont just learn how to tap someone out, you will learn how to turn the tables, get off the ground and get safe."

If you want to develop a ground game, surely you'd learn to grapple?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 4:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you think about the belts?
    So Grandmaster Toddy is legitimate, and he's certifying people as master instructors?
    I dunno, but as a muay thai practicioner something peeves me about muay thai trainers having their students refer to them as master and grandmaster.
    Last edited by NoTeefa; 9/05/2008 4:56am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 5:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tcma.biz
    David Neal Brown
    Head Instructor, President TCMA,

David Neal Brown has over 30 years experience in Martial Arts and has been taught by Wing Tsun’s greatest teacher the internationally renown Great-Grandmaster, Dr. Leung Ting. Mr. Brown was one of the original pioneers of WingTsun in America and is the origin of all authentic WingTsun in Washington State. Today, Mr. Brown is recognized internationally as an authority on the art of WingTsun.
    Hey headlock takedowns and chain punches would be legal in muay thai! God why didn't I ever think of utilizing those techniques? I would be like unstopable!

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 5:37am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTeefa
    What do you think about the belts?
    So Grandmaster Toddy is legitimate, and he's certifying people as master instructors?
    I dunno, but as a muay thai practicioner something peeves me about muay thai trainers having their students refer to them as master and grandmaster.
    Belts are a bit McDojo-ish but that doesn't necessarily mean that the school is teaching crap. My old MT school has many fighters and a couple of belt holders, they charged 5 per class and regularly took the students to Thailand to train and fight.

Why am I mentioning this? Well, we had a grading system too. Instead of belts we had different coloured arm bands (Kruang Ruang?). Nobody was ever forced to grade if they didn't want to and testing fees were 10 across the board with the testing lasting 2 hours.

Adding a grading syllabus isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's what's being taught that is more important.

Oh and yes, Toddy's legit.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 7:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, I guess I just need to go check it out in person, I wonder what belt level they think I am. :bssign:
    blah, but seriously, these guys are probably just guilty of being larpers. I'm curious to find out if they have any professional fighters, I've only seen their guys in smoker matches.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 8:29am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am skeptical of places that tell you they can give you the solid foundation for an amazing life because you practice MT. The instructor's college thing is weird too with talk of "inner circle" training techniques.

Check my math, but their Wing Chun/Muay Thai instructor Brooke Pete started when she was 12 and became an instructor at age 15?

They sound McDojo to me, but it looks like they are doing some fighting the instructors are anyway. I defer to someone with a bit more experience ...
    Last edited by scanz; 9/05/2008 8:36am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2008 5:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I gotta go check on their prices and quality of instruction to see if they're mcdojoish. The inner circle stuff creeps me out, that combined with the "master" and "grandmaster" bs gives off a cultish vibe.
    Another thing I just found out is that these guys like to bash my gym (http://www.wcfightclub.com/index.html) for being too rough and not teaching good values (which is complete bullshit, our guys don't go around starting fights), basically, they think we're thugs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2008 6:11am

Style: Muay Thai MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Toddy has trained quite a few World Champions. If it wasn't for him and Sken Thai Boxing wouldn't be anywhere near a big as it is today. He teaches out of La Vages now.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast