Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2011 5:54am

Style: Judo, BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sankaku-Jime Question

I am training for Kosen Judo Competition, where they forbid neck cranks & leg locks.

During newaza, I put the uke into Sankaku-Jime, pull the arm across and pull down head to get the choke. However, the instructor later came up to me and stated I wasn't allowed to pull as it was seen as a 'neck crank' and I will be disqualified from the competition, by all means I am going listen to my instructor and not do the head pull but it takes longer for the Uke to tap. I am just wondering, is this illegal move in BJJ/Kosen competitions? Is there a alternative?

Because this will be the first time for me to compete in one of these and I have only competed in retardly dangerous comps where everything was allowed (except grabbing up to three fingers).
    Last edited by yottabit; 11/21/2011 5:59am at .

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    11/21/2011 6:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In BJJ you can pull on the head. In Judo a lot of referees aren't going to let you.

You can finish it a bunch of other ways, though. Personally I like to lock my hands behind my knee and pull in, which also helps create the proper angle. Or this is another option you could try:

Posted On:
    11/21/2011 6:32am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yottabit View Post
    I am training for Kosen Judo Competition, where they forbid neck cranks & leg locks.
    You're competing in a Japanese university varsity competition?

As PSB said just pull on the knee.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2011 7:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    You're competing in a Japanese university varsity competition
    Yes Well it is a Kosen ruleset, instead the teams are just the Dojos (including BJJ dojos).

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    11/22/2011 5:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks

Yes Well it is a Kosen ruleset, instead the teams are just the Dojos (including BJJ dojos).
    Interesting, where is this shiai taking place? Does an ippon throw still end the match?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2011 1:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Interesting, where is this shiai taking place? Does an ippon throw still end the match?
    It's just regional event in NSW. Yes, however that ippon has to be a perfect throw, clean technique and land cleanly on their back, I even lost via ippon in a round robin in the third round. The event was interesting and surprising. Few high level BJJ guys (purple belts) lost to some our Judo guys (even choking one of them unconscious), vice versa and our Judo instructor lost, although showcasing some impressive tachiwaza on the BJJ guy, however he did not land cleanly and lost via armbar. All in all, I say it was equal playing field for both Judoka and BJJers and very enjoyable to watch too.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    12/04/2011 1:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's just regional event in NSW. Yes, however that ippon has to be a perfect throw, clean technique and land cleanly on their back, I even lost via ippon in a round robin in the third round. The event was interesting and surprising. Few high level BJJ guys (purple belts) lost to some our Judo guys (even choking one of them unconscious), vice versa and our Judo instructor lost, although showcasing some impressive tachiwaza on the BJJ guy, however he did not land cleanly and lost via armbar. All in all, I say it was equal playing field for both Judoka and BJJers and very enjoyable to watch too.
    Thanks for the update, NSW would be in Australia, I take it? New South Wales?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    12/04/2011 2:32am

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whereabouts in NSW was it held?