Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 1:05pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Don't punch in a street fight?

In this video the martial arts instructor says not to punch in a street fight because it will break your hand. I think this is part of the reason why there are no punches to the head in kyokushin karate, although the concept doesn't really apply to body shots. I think he would have been better to suggest elbows over judo chops as an alternative. What are your opinions? Should you never punch to the head in a street fight? I'm posting in YMAS and not strikestan because I don't think this will be taken seriously enough.

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 1:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can go to google video, type in "street fight" and check how many times someone stops fighting because they broke their hand during the fight. Sure, it can happen but it is not the most frequent outcome as seems to be suggested here. A tight fist thrown correctly to the front of the face is a pretty safe shot that can end a fight very quickly.

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 1:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeroo View Post
    I think this is part of the reason why there are no punches to the head in kyokushin karate, although the concept doesn't really apply to body shots.
    I thought it was because they got too many teeth and too much blood on the dojo floor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 2:03pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    I thought it was because they got too many teeth and too much blood on the dojo floor.
    I think that is probably the main reason.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 2:08pm

Style: BJJ/MT/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't get into many streetfights so I don't really know. But I would think punching with a good structure means you should be on the better side of things. Wild haymakers and punching randomly without real purpose would easily lead to a broken hand/knuckles/ or wrist.
    I have a very good friend, who has had his fair share of bare knuckle fights ( modest observation ). His hands are normally swollen and his knuckles very sore after he's been in a fight. The one time a piece of a guy's tooth lodged into one of his knuckles and it turned into a cyst after he lanced it himself ( Oh sorry I did say don't eat while reading this, right ? ). On the other hand, the guy on the receiving end of that particular flurry went to the emergency room with 3 broken ribs and his jaw broken in 2 places.
    Another time he dropped 6 drunken idiots with just right straights and his hand was fine.
    I guess if you hurt your hand that badly during a fight you could always switch to palm strikes or choke him.
    If you get into streetfights ( besides being retarded ) you are always going to pay some kind of price. Sometimes it is something small like hurting your knuckles, another time you get stabbed to death. fun times.

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 2:28pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The premis is crap but I've heard similar things. The big theory I've heard before about why you should not throw punches, at least to the head, in a fight is because if you leave the guy with a bloody nose, black eye or broken jaw you are likely going to spend the night in jail too. However if you choke him out, or judo chop into dreamland, there are no marks left on him and so you are not likely to be hauled in too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2011 2:53pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would prefer to body punch in a street (bar) fight mostly because your average drunken head hunter probably isn't expecting it and isn't accustomed to taking nasty body shots. Better than that, however, is to knee the body and chop the thigh down with kicks. I don't need to be fucking my hands up on someone's face, considering I'm a gigging musician and need use of them.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/14/2011 2:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do; Kuk Sool

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll weigh in with the outcome I experienced the one time I felt I had to fight for my life. I punched the guy in the head repeatedly. Several shots that were meant to close his eyes landed on the bony ridge of his brow and one to the edge of his forehead very near his temple. I did not KO him despite giving it my best, and I had to finish the job with my palms. The reason for this being that my right hand was broken in 8 places. One punch to the mouth took all his front teeth, but didn't slow him down in the slightest. I developed the nastiest staph infection I've ever seen on my lead knuckle, and had to take antibiotics for 14 days to clear it up. It was close to a month before I could write comfortably with my hand again, and longer still before I could punch in a training environment with any force.

If I hadn't been so scared I'd have popped his nose and chin, and things would have ended much more quickly, and likely without my requiring medical treatment. As previous posters have pointed out, the front of the face really is a fairly safe target. "Judo chops" wouldn't be my recommendation to anyone, however. I believe they are the hardest hand strikes to execute effectively, and that if anything they expose the hand to more potential damage than straight punching. Palm strikes would get my vote.

Posted On:
    11/14/2011 2:49pm

Style: Mostly drinking. E-chaun

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you know there is a risk you will break your ankle when you kick too....

it all comes down to training- and well, luck.

i think it asinine to eliminate a whole "range" of fighting just on an "if". often i think this happens if you don't train barehand and train with wrapps every time- you are used to delivering more power than you otherwise would- and you don't stregthen your techniqeu because the "wrapps" do much of the job for you if thats the only way you train.

sure its a risk- i can get hit by a car when i cross the street too. but proper training makes it a calculated risk that is largely in your control. if you get into a street, bar or any fight you are at risk to begin with so better to protect my face with whatever i got.

EDIT:

i see this as another one of those "grain of truth, mountain of crap" statements.

where they take some small smidgen of truth- look at it from one VERY limited angle, and blow it up out of proportion and in doing so ignore very relevant and important factors and turn it into something that is totally different from any truth it might actually have.

Posted On:
    11/14/2011 2:53pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I punched a guy square in the top of the head about five times. Hand didn't break. I have cut myself on a guys teeth though. (And the doc I went to said that can be risky)

Hit a guy with your palm if you are not used to it can hurt like hell too. I can't get much juice out of a palm heel either.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast