Posted On:
    11/20/2011 3:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

lifting weights do as much for your heart health as cardio workouts,

So 1.2's article http://www.mensjournal.com/everythin...s-a-lie/print/
    says that The bottom line is that not only can lifting weights do as much for your heart health as cardio workouts, but it also provides you with a lean-muscle coat of armor against life’s inevitable blows

Which says to me I never have to do cardio ever again. Am I reading this right? Cuz I'm talking to a friend of mine right now who's a bootcamp nut who's telling me I'll never have a 6 pack if I just lift heavy things.

hmm that sounds a bit rambling and unfocused. Is there at least a citation for the top quote?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2011 6:53pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The not having a six pack without cardio is not true in my case. I have not done cardio for a while (3 months) and have just been focused on bodyweight training (mainly on trying to get a one arm chin up, ab wheel roll out variations and full range handstand pushups in particular). I have been eating less which is key. Ironically it is now that I don't care about a six pack, that I now have them, compared with in my teens when I would be doing high rep crunches.

Lifting heavy definately gets the heart rate up, but I think cardio strengthens the heart in a different way. Also the type of cardio, slow steady or interval type stuff has different effects as well; something to do with enlargement of ventricles vs thickening of muscle walls. There is an mma trainer who has a program specifically in this area, but can't remember who. With my limited knowledge I am guessing you will need both cardio and heavy lifting for heart health. Your sport or martial art is probably enough cardio anyway.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    11/20/2011 7:21pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Abs have more to do with diet than which kind of exercise you do (as long as you are doing something to burn calories).

Who does cardio for heart health? I do it for many reasons, but that's not one of them.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/20/2011 8:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: NinBuKai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson View Post
    Abs have more to do with diet than which kind of exercise you do (as long as you are doing something to burn calories).

Who does cardio for heart health? I do it for many reasons, but that's not one of them.
    This. We'll touch on the cardio bit in a minute, but strong abs does not equal six pack. Powerlifters have some of the strongest abs in the world, but generally they're buried under all the fat they pack on. That does not mean they don't technically "have" a six-pack, their abs are considerably more functional than you or I's, but its hidden behind muscle. If you want a six-pack then make sure you have strong abs (and not through dumb things like hundreds of crunches/sit-ups) and minimal fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    The bottom line is that not only can lifting weights do as much for your heart health as cardio workouts, but it also provides you with a lean-muscle coat of armor against life’s inevitable blows

Which says to me I never have to do cardio ever again.
    This really just depends on the cardio-type. In my opinion, the author's point was that the gym-standard of "walking slowly on a treadmill for two hours burning a thousand calories" is considerably overblown compared with just working up a sweat lifting weights. For awhile there was a belief that lifting weights exasperated heart problems and made it worse, but for the most part this has been all but debunked. If you clarify what it is you're looking for, someone with experience can probably tell you whether or not cardio or weight-lifting can help you with that. If its just losing weight to get a six-pack, absolutely a diet and weight-lifting will do wonders (and I doubt you'd be able to get it without the diet, so that's not really a factor if you're trying to dodge it).

Posted On:
    11/21/2011 12:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PerseusStoned View Post
    This really just depends on the cardio-type. In my opinion, the author's point was that the gym-standard of "walking slowly on a treadmill for two hours burning a thousand calories" is considerably overblown compared with just working up a sweat lifting weights.
    You're joking. People really do that? Don't they get bored or hungry after the first hour?

Quote Originally Posted by PerseusStoned View Post
    If you clarify what it is you're looking for, someone with experience can probably tell you whether or not cardio or weight-lifting can help you with that. If its just losing weight to get a six-pack, absolutely a diet and weight-lifting will do wonders (and I doubt you'd be able to get it without the diet, so that's not really a factor if you're trying to dodge it).
    I exercise for vanity/confidence reasons and to stave off the heart disease that runs in my family. And I really hate cardio. About 30 minutes is all I can do before I get fed up. I got into ma because it's a much more fun way to exercise than just going to the gym no matter what you do in the gym.
    So I guess anything that gets me lean, prevents a heart attack or makes me better at judo would be what I'm after.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/21/2011 2:23pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're joking. People really do that? Don't they get bored or hungry after the first hour?
    I really, really wish I was. I've had an overweight friend telling me he wants to get back in shape for months and all his "plans" about how he's going to do cardio stair-stepping for hours and etc, etc. I once slapped him and told him that if he can do the same motion the same way for hours on end, he's not training hard enough. He didn't listen and I gave up.

I exercise for vanity/confidence reasons and to stave off the heart disease that runs in my family.
    If its vanity, honestly weights is going to give you the best bang for your buck. Doing a program will pack on "teh gunz" quicker then any cardio, HIIT routine you can dream up.

I haven't done much research into the differences in staving off heart disease compared with weight-lifting, but the general consensus I've picked up is that it does enough, especially if you're doing another sport with it. I strongly encourage you to research that on your own, as well as maybe get some blood work done before, and after, to best ensure your safety.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/21/2011 2:27pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, if you're looking for a good Judo work-out I've heard goods things about Koto's (a former forum poster around here) outline. Check it out.

Although if you want to get into weight-training I'd really encourage you try Rippetoe's Starting Strength program first. A third edition is coming out just in time for Christmas, or you can be cheap and derive the main program parts from the wiki.

One of my biggest regrets is that I found the book so late in my life (22), although there are plenty of people starting it at much older (80+). Honestly, life changing.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    11/21/2011 3:43pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Body builders do low intensity cardio like treadmill walking, and the reason they do it is it takes more calories from stored fat and less from muscle. For an average person though its stupid.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2011 5:11pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its not really rocket science, weight train and do some cardio. Walking is very good in terms of relaxation and active recovery and I do short walks every day but not for cardio benifits; treadmills are just stupid in general for most applications.

There are plenty of fat guys (not just no six packs) who are strong (i.e. bench, squat and deadlift a lot of weight), but this is bad for the heart and joints. My belief is that a person should have a base of steady cardio (i.e. jogging, skipping rope) before doing serious interval type cardio. This base is not doing it for an hour or more at a time, but <20 mins a session is good. Your martial art is probably good enough cardio for you.

Watch your diet, reduce stress, do something relaxing you enjoy maybe something like mediation, tai chi/qi gong, yoga and get yearly checkups with your GP once you hit 30.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2011 9:32pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just today I did a set of an exercise I like that's basically a clean to full front squat (elbows to knees), then full press, repeat. That got my heart pumping about twice as much as the 7 mile run I did yesterday. Or doing a ****-ton of hang-cleans. That outdoes yogging in the cardio realm for me as well. It seems what running mostly does is make you better at running.....with benefits to the heart and lungs....but mostly makes you better at running.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast