Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2011 1:26am

Style: BJJ and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ defeated by eye gouge

This past monday morning I was at the gym on my Navy Base when a coworker came up to me and asked me to roll with him. Hes a former college wrestler interested in BJJ and wanted to see if it was worth it.
    We rolled, I won by Kimura in under a minute, and seeing that he wasnt prepared for submission fighting we started exchanging some BJJ/Wrestling techniques and drilled for an hour or so.
    When he was explaining how to shrug someone from the clinch he gestured toward what was supposed to be my temple, completely missed, and put his finger in my right eye.
    I went to the Doctor and was told I have a corneal abrasion 7mmX6mm (as far as my eye goes thats almost the size of my entire iris). Its been four days and I can finally open my right eye, but the epithelium is loose so I still cant see clearly out of it. I lost the whole week at the gym, 4 days of work and spent the majority of that time eating Vicodin in a dark room with my eyes closed listening to horror novels on tape. Luckily this injury now has the ability to likely happen again now that ive done it once so I get to look forward to that I guess.
    So yea, eye gouges work. They dont stop fights, and kimuras work better, but they will make you hate your life for a week or more. Im just glad he was a wrestler and not a ninja, think what a trained eye gouger could have done!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2011 2:08am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I agree that eye gouges can certainly **** up an eye unexpectedly like that but this is hardly t3h d34dl3y that the chunners are so desperately seeking to vindicate.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/19/2011 2:10am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Grapplers can't use the deadly. You are officially a liar.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2011 2:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a great story, and fodder for the ninjers, but an accidental poke/gouge during a friendly spar of GRAPPLING when you shouldn't expect it doesn't really negate what people have been saying for years; that it pretty much works like a punch in that you need to have the position and skill to pull it off.

Also, I feel your pain, nothing worse then having to go around with half your eyes closed for a week it's so annoying.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    11/19/2011 3:26am

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whilst drilling hold downs with judo buddy managed to get an eye gouge from his belt knot! Quite sore. Luckily my eye was shut

Posted On:
    11/19/2011 5:25am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Accidentally eye-gouged someone at Aikido late last year.

It wasn't helped to look like an accident by my shouting "Fucking get in there!" as I thrust my thumb at the poor guy's eye, booj style.

His contact lense caught the brunt of it thankfully, and once his wife managed to get that out for him (from quite a long way around his eye), he was fine.

I tell you what, I'm careful now. I barely shout anything at all.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/19/2011 6:23am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PXM View Post
    It's a great story, and fodder for the ninjers, but an accidental poke/gouge during a friendly spar of GRAPPLING when you shouldn't expect it doesn't really negate what people have been saying for years; that it pretty much works like a punch in that you need to have the position and skill to pull it off.

Also, I feel your pain, nothing worse then having to go around with half your eyes closed for a week it's so annoying.
    You have suffered a Komedy Komprehesion Kollapse. They weren't rolling during the poke.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2011 11:50am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    Whilst drilling hold downs with judo buddy managed to get an eye gouge from his belt knot! Quite sore. Luckily my eye was shut
    I had my eye kind of gouged with a gi lapel in BJJ before, ended up with a graze on my eyeball which hurt like a bastard and a badly swollen eyelid. So before all the chunners and ninjers start getting boners about eye gouging it can be done in BJJ too, and the cooler thing about the BJJ eye gouge is that you don't even get yucky eye juice all over your fingers.

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    11/19/2011 12:39pm

Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took a rubber knife in the eye, during a a knife drill in JKD. Hurt like bloody hell and I had a peach of a shiner for about a week.

We used to use hard plastic training knives, when i did Systema.... That thought still gives me the chills.

Any point, derived from this story is yes, it doesn't vindicate what chunners et al have been saying. It's not something you should rely on as a fight-ender, but it's still a really unpleasant thing to do to / have done to you.

Look at Yuki Nakai. He won the fight, but he still lost the sight in his right eye.
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the **** out of you.
    And when the ****'s been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    11/19/2011 2:15pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can't we have this discussion with without bringing up _ing _un or Booj?

Personally I think eye gouges probably predate all martial arts by quite a long time. Simians were probably doing it before Man walked on two legs.

Sometimes it amazes me...the number of people who claim eye attacks never work and then go try it, but miss the part about how a damaged cornea can blind you for life and is simple to incur. **** the fight...who really wants to lose an eye, especially during sparring, competition, or anything short of a life/death struggle? Unless you are literally straddled by a would-be rapist/mugger and your only hope is to poke your fingers in their eye, it should never, ever be on the table between friendly combatants. Ever.

You think Yuki Nakai would trade his win over Gordeau in exchange for having his eye work again? I would think so. That was dirty fucking ****.

MA schools that make a big deal about attacking the eyes ignore the fact that almost no one will ever have to EVER attack someone else' eyes, and that intentionally blinding someone would be legally bad for anyone except in the most extreme SD situations...and thus financially bad for you, as you get to pay your victims medical bills.

Those schools should focus more on being able to punch someone accurately, which in the case of Chun, needs much work.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 11/19/2011 2:28pm at . Reason: Fuck I mentioned _ing _un....
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast